Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Port Macquarie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Port Macquarie

My late father worked for the Port Line and I have recently descovered a photo of, what I believe to be, a ship he served on. It's called the Port Macquarie and was taken (I believe) in Austrailia in the early 50's.
    I would really like to here from anyone who knows of this vessel and any information they may have.

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Port Macquarie

Quote Originally Posted by DK Burnett View Post
    My late father worked for the Port Line and I have recently descovered a photo of, what I believe to be, a ship he served on. It's called the Port Macquarie and was taken (I believe) in Austrailia in the early 50's.
    I would really like to here from anyone who knows of this vessel and any information they may have.
    Hi. I sailed a voyage on the Port Macqurie as an asst/stwd in 1965. She was a nice old ship with oil cookers in the galley. had a good time on her as well as other Port Boats, hope you find someone that remembers your Father. Take care.... Terry.

4. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many thanks for your reply, Terry, it's really appreciated....I'm surprised she was still sailing in 1965 considering the dates my father would have been on board...once again, thankyou.

Gulliver Guest

Default m.v. PORT MACQUARIE...

Hello D.K.Burnett
    Just some information about the ship for you.

m.v. PORT MACQUARIE (Official No. 169750) was the second in the Port Line to bear this name.(There had been a previous vessel built in 1912 which was torpedoed in 1940.)

The one you refer to then was completed in Feb.1944 as Yard No.1685 by Swan Hunter & W.Richardson at Wallsend-on-Tyne.
    Gross Tonnage 9,072
    Length 148.7m
    Beam 19.0m
    Single screw diesel engine-15 knots
    Registered London
    History Served all her life with Port Line(24 years)
    Broken Up Kaohsiung,Taiwan Sept.1968

A couple more pics for you attached.

Best Regards
    Gulliver

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gulliver; 14th December 2011 at 04:45 PM.

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gulliver.....that's fantastic. Didn't realise it was built on the Tyne, near neighbours as my father lived all of his life in Sunderland.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I signed on the Port Macquarie in Jan 1966 and when we left London found out that we where on a Manz run. One of the features of her was that the main masts where of set which was a system of that time being war years that the U boats could not line them up to get her course. Must admit though it was not one of the better ships I was on as most of the deck crew signed on to do the Kiwi run and a few of them it was their last trip before getting spliced. Unfortunatly for me I had manged to tape the song "Homeward Bound" and was asked not to play it by them. Not many did finish that trip as a lot ringbolted back to the UK when we got to Montreal.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did one trip as a deckhand on the Port Macquarie. Joined her in Liverpool Aug.15/1958 paid off in London Victoria DocksDec.11/1958 after an Aussie/New Zealand trip. I'm afraid 53 yrs. is a bit too long for the old grey cells to recall much about it.Ian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up

Just looking at her lines (thanks Gulliver), and the state her hull is in my mind goes to the beauties built in the same ship yard late '50's early '60's, for Port Line. The deception for the U-boats is noted and is point of which I was unaware. They were all good feeders and the company took care of their crews.
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Port Macquarie

PORT MACQUARIE (2) was built in 1944 by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson at Newcastle with a tonnage of 7319grt, a length of 487ft 11in, a beam of 62ft 2in and a service speed of 15 knots. She was a utility build and her derrick posts were staggered in order to confuse U-boat commanders. Completed in February 1944 she participated in a convoy from the Tyne to New York where she loaded US stores for troops in Guam in the Pacific. From there she continued to Australia where she loaded food for Britain. On 26th January 1953, during a short voyage from Liverpool to Glasgow in fog, she grounded at Seaforth but, after water ballast was discharged, was refloated undamaged but returned to Liverpool for a hull examination. During a voyage from the UK to Wellington, on 12th June 1957 and when 570 miles east of Auckland, she took in tow P Henderson's liner Captain Hobson which had broken down. With 650 emigrants on board and with HMNZS Stawell in attendance she towed the ship to Auckland where she arrived on 17th June, earning a salvage award of £4000. On 10th March she came under the management of Blueport but was quickly replaced by the Port Caroline and, consequently, was broken up at Kaohsiung in September of the same year.
    Regards Malcolm

13. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Port Macquarie,

Hi DK, I was on the Macquarie in the Fifties, April 1951 with a H/T run round the coast, H/T from Hull to Vic Docks Dec 1954 -Jan 1955, and then a trip to Aus/NZ Jan 1955 to July 1955, What was his Christian name ?
    I remember a crew member named Norman and he came from Tyneside. Fred.

15. Likes N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast