Thread: Port Nicholson west coast of Africa

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Port Nicholson west coast of Africa

Hi, I was on the Esso Ulidia in Oct-Dec 1970 on her maiden voyage from Belfast.We were off the west african coast when one of the superheated steam lines on the boiler burst filling the engine room with steam and seriously burning an engineer.We called to ships in the area and the Port Nicholson was the only one with a doctor onboard,a man who had spent 40 years in the Rhodesian Army and was going back to retire.He came onto the Ulidia to give medical attention to the engineer and no doubt saved his life.We limped into Walvis Bay which took 3 days on the donkey boiler.I was wondering if any of your members who might have been on the Port Nicholson could remember this and what happened to the doctor and the Port Nicholsons side of the story? reagards Trevor Lawrence

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Esso Ulidia - Explosion

Hi Trevor, my father was on the Ulidia for the maiden voyage from Belfast. He recorded some aspects of the voyage on an 8mm cine camera, including the arrival of the Port Nicholoson and the rescue Helicopter. I have uploaded some of that footage to Youtube. Here is the link: Harland & Wolff Shipyard Years Part 2 - YouTube

There is a report on the accident, but unfortunately, we have been unable to get a copy of it. Maybe you will have better luck.

Here is the link to report on the accident: Explosion from the Main Boiler Casing of the VLCC 'Esso Ulidia' (O.N. 339297 ... - Great Britain. Dept. of Trade and Industry - Google Books

If you have any photos from the voyage, I'd love to get a copy of them

All the best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Glenman 56 and Trevor.
    Welcome aboard and hope you stay on to enjoy the threads on this great site.
    Shows how amazing it is for something to happen all those years ago to one person then someone to come up with a cine camera memory on that happening. I have heard of quite a few old mates meeting up on this site but I think this one beats them all.
    Cheers Des redc.gif

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Esso Ulidia

Quote Originally Posted by Glenman56 View Post
    Hi Trevor, my father was on the Ulidia for the maiden voyage from Belfast. He recorded some aspects of the voyage on an 8mm cine camera, including the arrival of the Port Nicholoson and the rescue Helicopter. I have uploaded some of that footage to Youtube. Here is the link: Harland & Wolff Shipyard Years Part 2 - YouTube

There is a report on the accident, but unfortunately, we have been unable to get a copy of it. Maybe you will have better luck.

Here is the link to report on the accident: Explosion from the Main Boiler Casing of the VLCC 'Esso Ulidia' (O.N. 339297 ... - Great Britain. Dept. of Trade and Industry - Google Books

If you have any photos from the voyage, I'd love to get a copy of them

All the best
    Hi Glenman 56,Thank you for the video.img099.jpgimg100.jpgimg101.jpgimg102.jpgimg103.jpg I was the lad on the video at the begining at about 47 seconds in talking to one of Harland & Wolf painters I was 21 at the time and now 63 years old. I have attached some photos for you.The group photo I am on the front row right, next to Jimmy Greene the bosun the others show your father and the other three painters and i can not remember there names no matter how hard I try (old age).I can honestly say that I have never sailed with a happy and friendly bunch of lads in my life.The video has certainly taken me back a few years good times and sad times.I would like to thank you for the memories.I have also attached two photos of the Esso management on the ships sea trials in Belfast lock who did not sail with the ship. Kind Regards Trevor Lawrence

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Esso Ulidia

Quote Originally Posted by trevor lawrence View Post
    Hi, I was on the Esso Ulidia in Oct-Dec 1970 on her maiden voyage from Belfast.We were off the west african coast when one of the superheated steam lines on the boiler burst filling the engine room with steam and seriously burning an engineer.We called to ships in the area and the Port Nicholson was the only one with a doctor onboard,a man who had spent 40 years in the Rhodesian Army and was going back to retire.He came onto the Ulidia to give medical attention to the engineer and no doubt saved his life.We limped into Walvis Bay which took 3 days on the donkey boiler.I was wondering if any of your members who might have been on the Port Nicholson could remember this and what happened to the doctor and the Port Nicholsons side of the story? reagards Trevor Lawrence
    Hi Trevor that brought back memories , I was first trip Engine Room Boy on the Port Nicholson along with Desmond Shabi who was second trip ER boy. Can you imagine the excitement of a mid ocean rondevous on your first trip.Unfortunate circumstances for such a thing to take place .No idea what happened to the doctor we never saw him again , we bunkered at Capetown and left for Australia,if I remember correct.Freemantle,Adalaide,Melbourne,Sydney,and Newcastle.Then we left Newcastle at the same time a "Star" boat left Sydney.First one to Port New Plymouth got Christmas alongside while the other "swung at the pick".We made it Port Lines commodore skipper was on the bridge ay the time, ( Darky Finch ).He retired either the next or the following trip can't remember but I do remember him taking the "Nicholson" as close in and round Torbay because he lived in Brixham. Thanks for reviving some latent memories in me .

Peter

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Esso Ulidia Explosion main boiler casing

Hi Glenman 56, I have got hold of the Department of trade and Industry report about the Esso Ulidia Explosion from the main boiler casing,if you would like me to forward you a copy please let me know,there are about 12 pages in all and some drawings.Regards Trevor Lawrence

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed on the ESSO ULIDIA as Third Mate in 1977, It was a very happy ship. Joined in Milford round the Cape to the Gulf and back to pay off in Slagen in Norway. I enjoyed every minute, Good Captain and good crowd.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Isnt it just amazing

Isnt it just amazing how such Stories and things can be recollected here on this great site,People of so many Years ago coming together on various Subjects,and to crown it off old Shipmates that experienced the same things on the same Ships!
    These and many other incidents would no doubt be forever lost or forgotten of not for sites such as this one and a few others too!
    But thanks once again to our ingenious site Admin (Brian Probetts)
    Long may this Ship sail at full steam!
    Cheers

PS Many thanks for Pics and Videos!!

http://www.aukevisser.nl/uk/id222.htm
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 29th July 2012 at 08:09 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530