Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Loss of fishing boat off jersey this morning three missing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Loss of fishing boat off jersey this morning three missing.

#10 Fishermen are reknown for the fact that many . Take the attitude that they have right of way which they do when fishing. When not fishing they obey the rule of the road also. All the lights mentioned are working lights , and somemay tend to leave on whilst steaming to location and rely on the goodwill of other. Vessels . As already said is best to see what the enquiry says. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th December 2022 at 01:02 AM.
    R575129

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    According to Google between 2011 and 2022 , a total of 892 vessels have gone to Davy Jones locker .JS
    Alas John, the public never hear about it, in excess of 130 bulkers (included in the 892) twixt 30,000 - 60,000 dwt disappeared without trace in that same period we seamen know that there is every chance of 'driving down' in storms when that wave out of nowhere doesn't give your bow chance to come up from the previous wave; no chance to send an SOS. Over 22,000 seamen lost their lives in that same period, but you would never hear about that, but let a lone yachtsman go missing and it makes headline news. Professional seafarers lives matter not, as we are an unseen, unheard of, species and the general public have no idea how their lives would change, never to recover, if all 100,000 plus commercial vessels now sailing the seas stopped sailing

I was watching 'Disasters at Sea' yesterday on the very same subject, for once it was factual and well presented if a little over dramatised at times, but I do wish such programmes would stop showing pictures of tankers when talking about bulkers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The incompetence of newspaper reporting when it enters the maritime world is well known to seafarers Ivan . I have personally been involved in 3 occasions to whit. Unfortuanetley the general public believe it ,so the morons are breeding a following of other morons. I like the description recently of the title 3 rd. . class navigator. !!! Reminds me of British Rail. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th December 2022 at 09:45 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Alas John, the public never hear about it, in excess of 130 bulkers (included in the 892) twixt 30,000 - 60,000 dwt disappeared without trace in that same period we seamen know that there is every chance of 'driving down' in storms when that wave out of nowhere doesn't give your bow chance to come up from the previous wave; no chance to send an SOS. Over 22,000 seamen lost their lives in that same period, but you would never hear about that, but let a lone yachtsman go missing and it makes headline news. Professional seafarers lives matter not, as we are an unseen, unheard of, species and the general public have no idea how their lives would change, never to recover, if all 100,000 plus commercial vessels now sailing the seas stopped sailing

I was watching 'Disasters at Sea' yesterday on the very same subject, for once it was factual and well presented if a little over dramatised at times, but I do wish such programmes would stop showing pictures of tankers when talking about bulkers
    I was on the lightening ship Naticina in 1980, we hosted about 8 or 9 guys who were waiting for a Bergesen vessel to arrive in Lyme Bay for lightening. The were with us for 4 or 5 days and were a good bunch of men; they were good company and enjoyed the hospitality (free drinks).
    When their vessel turned up it was an OBO - Berge Istra. They duly sailed away after lightening. We heard a few weeks later that she had vanished on a voyage from Brazil to Japan with a cargo of iron ore. Never been located as far as I know.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    I was on the lightening ship Naticina in 1980, we hosted about 8 or 9 guys who were waiting for a Bergesen vessel to arrive in Lyme Bay for lightening. The were with us for 4 or 5 days and were a good bunch of men; they were good company and enjoyed the hospitality (free drinks).
    When their vessel turned up it was an OBO - Berge Istra. They duly sailed away after lightening. We heard a few weeks later that she had vanished on a voyage from Brazil to Japan with a cargo of iron ore. Never been located as far as I know.
    I remember it well, if I recall correctly she was circa 280,000 dwcc and quite young at the time, lost somewhere (or last heard from) in the Cape (Africa)area, and we all know what the weather can be like round there. I only clarifide the Cape area, as most non-seafarers think of Cape Horn when Cape is mentioned

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    I remember it well she was carrying ore but on the previous voyage she had been loaded with crude. I think a couple of weeks later two crew were found by fisherman who had been chipping/painting and survived an explosion. I have a vague memory of the same thing happening to a sister ship.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The sister ship was the berge venga, which also suffered an explosion but survived.
    The two survivors off the berge istra said they were painting over the side when the explosion occurred.
    The explosions led to inert gas generators to be fitted to OBO's
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As mentioned earlier on this thread by other members, the amount of ships lost around the world which the majority of people never know about or possibly even care about is astonishing. The owners of the Berg Istra were Norwegian who have an excellent reputation for the upkeep of their ships and the welfare of the ships crews compared with a lot of other international ship owners. Having just googled the name of the ship I see the sister ship blew up 4 years later before the owners started to fit inert gas systems. Which in my mind is bordering on criminal. I can not think of any other industry that would allow that to happen.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One thing I have often heard. There is no room for seafarers in Hell. The place is full of Ship owners, Mill owners and Mine owners.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unless it is a major number of deaths such as if a Ferry goes down very little makes the general news.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast