Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Disturbing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Disturbing

Here in Australia we have what is known as, compulsory voting' though that is not exactly true.
    What is true is that on polling day, or on an early poll, you must register, what you do with the voting paper after that is up to you.
    Last state one some 4 years ago tore it up and into the bin.
    To be able to vote you must be an Australian citizen, unless you came here prior to 1983 from UK. Those are still allowed to vote even if not citizens.
    Thursday, I received from the Liberal party headquarters, I occasional make a small $20 donation at election time, a very disturbing e-mail.

In NZ there is a female PM who will most likely lose office at the next election.

Here in Oz, particularly in some parts of NSW such as Bondi there are large communities of New Zealand people, and some do work here.
    Her proposal is that all from NZ living here who are not registered as Australian citizens be allowed to vote in all election, Feral, State and local gov.

Our PM has said he will give consideration to it.

If this is allowed to go through it will see the end of democracy in Oz, who next, maybe in UK illegals will be allowed to vote?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne, cappy, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Disturbing

John Expats can still vote in UK elections for up to 15 years after they left the UK, all they need to is makesure they stay on the elector roll.

Just cheekinng my facts the 15 year rule has been abolished since 2021 the new rules are you can vote for life if now living abroad.

British citizens who have moved abroad will be given ‘votes for life’ as the Government scraps the arbitrary 15-year limit on the voting rights.

New measures announced today will also make it easier for overseas electors to remain registered to vote for longer.

Together, these changes will empower more British citizens living overseas to participate in our democracy.

New measures announced in the Queen’s Speech will make it easier for British citizens who have moved abroad to participate in our democracy.

Good move by the Tories that considering that at least 75% of those expats would be Conservative voters, 5.5 million Brits live or work abroad.

https://www.iexpats.com/where-do-british-expats-live/
    Last edited by James Curry; 1st October 2022 at 09:21 AM.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins, Colin Wood thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All the expats I know who live in Australia , would have very little wish to vote in the UK you make your own bed to lie in , however they would no doubt like to have their old age pensions back dated and paid out to what all those who decided to live in the likes of Europe and the South of France had and that was to receive as normal. The two houses opposite me are owned by a Scouse family , and the one next door by a Yorkshire widow. Ask them if they worry about England and it’s problems , and do they want to vote , I think I already know the answer. The only reason why most expats go back in the first place is just to see friends and family , and 6 weeks is more than ample time to do that , there is certainly no feelings of living there by myself , and those I talk to have the same feelings, vote yourselves then you only have yourself to blame for the outcomes .JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd October 2022 at 10:54 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes John I am sure those who have made a home abroad are happy there, but those family members I have in various places around the world still refer to the UK as home, and some have been away 50 years +

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Then the chances are they will die there . How many have stated they want their bodies, or ashes if not good Catholics , returned to their point of origin ? JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I left England in June 1958. I had done almost five years at sea, enjoyed most of it very much, but it had been time for me to come ashore.* England was not an option. Out of the MN*I would be drafted.* Like most Brits, emigrating meant moving to a part of the commonwealth.* So I chose Canada.

It didn't work for*me. Canadians, at least the ones I met, didn't like the idea of the mass migration that was coming in, mostly Brits, Germans and Italians.* The final straw for me was I was waiting for a streetcar (tram) to come in a blizzard, a pound*of snow on each shoulder. three inch icicles*dangling from each nostril, my back to a 20 mph northern wind, as I said to a guy waiting behind me, "Bleeding cold innit mate/" he snapped back "If you don't like it go back where you came from ".

That wasn't an option, but the USA was.

I arrived in paradise, Los Angeles, California in April 1962, it was love at first sight.* And here I am in Oklahoma and still in love.* Though I must admit other Americans laugh at me and say, "Who moves to Oklahoma?* We fly over Oklahoma from California*to New York and back."

I filed for my US citizenship on the first day it was actually legal for me to do so.* I have voted in every election. even when I lived in Iran for three years (I filed an absentee*ballot).* Legally Britain and the USA allow for dual citizenship, but I have never renewed my British*passport or attempted to vote.* As far as I am concerned, I am an American.

However, the minute I open my mouth, someone will ask me where I come from, I say California (As that's where I became a citizen), most laugh and say "No you're a Brit or an Ozzie"... (and without bloody fail add) I just love your accent.* The yanks are the only country in the world that really. really like the Brits and everything about Britain. I think those who have been even like the weather.

I have visited the UK and enjoyed it and see it through the eyes of a foreigner, but home to me is the USA and when I kick the bucket, I have made plans for mine*and my late wife's ashes*to be spread before the Grand Teton Mountain range in Wyoming where we both spent our last US vacation together, and as a bonus, where they shot my favorite movie "Shane".

Cheers, Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really don't understand it.* I left England in June 1958. I had done almost five years at sea, enjoyed most of it very much, but it had been time for me to come ashore.* England was not an option. Out of the MN*I would be drafted.* Like most Brits, emigrating meant moving to a part of the commonwealth.* So, I chose Canada.

It didn't work for*me. Canadians, at least the ones I met, didn't like the idea of the mass migration that was coming in, mostly Brits, Germans and Italians.* The final straw for me was I was waiting for a streetcar (tram) to come in a blizzard, a pound*of snow on each shoulder. three-inch icicles*dangling from each nostril, back to a 20-mph northern wind as I said to a guy waiting behind me "Bleeding cold innit mate/" he snapped back "If you don't like it go back where you came from ".

That wasn't an option, but the USA was.

I arrived in paradise, Los Angeles, California in April 1962, it was love at first sight.* And here I am in Oklahoma and still in love.* Though I must admit other Americans laugh at me and say, "Who moves to Oklahoma?* We fly over Oklahoma from California*to New York and back."

I filed for my US citizenship on the first day it was actually legal for me to do so.* I have voted in every election since. even when I lived in Iran for three years (I filed an absentee*ballot).* Legally Britain and the USA allow for dual citizenship, but I have never renewed my British*passport or attempted to vote.* As far as I am concerned, I am an American.

However, the minute I open my mouth, someone will ask me where I come from, I say California (As that's where I became a citizen), most laugh and say "No you're a Brit or an Ozzie"... (and without bloody fail add) I just love your accent.* The yanks are the only country in the world that really. really like the Brits and everything about Britain. I think those who have been even like the weather.

I have visited the UK, and enjoyed it, but home to me is the USA and when I kick the bucket I have made plans for mine*and my late wife's ashes*to be spread before the Grand Teton Mountain range in Wyoming where we both spent our last US vacation together, and as a bonus, where they shot my favorite movie "Shane".

Cheers, Rodney

Damn, Doc. It did it again, please get rid of this dupe. thanks
    Last edited by Rodney Mills; 2nd October 2022 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the USA and I like Canada. My favourite place in Canada has to be BC especially Vancouver. In the States has to be Florida.
    Concerning when I ring FWE the wife is under orders dump my ashes over the ar-e end of the mersey ferry Snowdrop, mid mersey.

11. Likes Rodney Mills, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#7. That was probably me Rodney shouting Encore Encore , sorry! JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 3rd October 2022 at 12:50 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How can anyone from the UK living abroad and not considering to return to the UK; vote there in order to participate in their Democracy?
    To me it looks like the Conservatives are after every vote they can get, be a bit much if the vote from overseas Brits [And I'm not one} could change or keep in a Govt that the locals didn't want, great for the so called democracy I suppose.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast