Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Disturbing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Disturbing

Well for me it was a big move to come to Aussieland, but as i have always been a Travelle and so used to getting around, my thoughts "Why Not"

So off we went Wife and two Young uns, and not much Moolah in my Sky Rocket either, but full of hopes.

Arring here was a Great feeling i must say, and although a strange Land at the time we soon managed to settle in, with a wee bit of help from my In Laws. Got a House just opposite tem to Rent, fully furnished so no probs!

Both the Wife and myself managed to find Work within the Week, so that too was great!

Things went well, and i can Honestly say that i have never looked back, although i do miss my South Africa!

Worked hard both of us and managed to get what we have, not a fortune but absolutely No Debts. Everything paid for House, Car etc!

A nice littel Sum in the Bank, as well as the Super.

Pensions received Forthnightly are good too.

Yes Aussi has been fantastic for us and i am so so glad that i made the move!
    Cheers

'I am,you are, were all Australians"
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After the big hoo hah in life, the North Sea In 1988 I carried on for a further 3 years in the same or similar work, living from hand to mouth , the kids had left home to make their own way in life and the wife had no further excuses for not leaving. I had been on the short list for a job in Newfoundland at the College of Fisheries over 20 years previously and she wouldn’t go so I went out to Canada as a seaman with a Canadian shipping company. I was 53 when finally left the UK , if had been 54 would have been too old, we put the furniture in a container left the car in the garage , already sold and left to be picked up. The house stood empty for 3 years So arrived in Oz with very little money , I had no choice but to start work as soon as possible and was working offshore within 4 weeks at the only job I knew back at sea.It was good money , good conditions , and good people to work with , and despite people’s aversion to unions , I can only say in honesty they when accepted did well by me, and many others. I have a fairly wide scope in my working life and from 1991 to 2002 Australia holds my record of the top notch world wide best sea going conditions at my time of life. The house we left empty in the UK we paid rates and all the taxes on for the 3 years and had in the finish to send the wife back to take it out of the Estate Agents hands which she did and the house was sold the following week through someone else , the scheming conniving basket. That eased the outgoings money wise ,I have bought and sold houses out here with no problem , England was always with all sorts of strings attached to money of course .Life for me started at 53 years of age , and as I’ll be soon 86 , I thank Australia for the nearly 33 years have lived here , good times and bad, but mainly at least an honest living . JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 6th October 2022 at 12:25 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our arrival saw us both with work within week of arriving, mainly as from UK we had the experience the country was looking for.
    At that time in the early 80's there was a strong nation building program going on, again, and as I was told on interview,
    'we need those from other countries with different experience to show others here a different way to do things'

Had four positions here, all good and working hard we have built three houses and renovated one.
    No debts and in a comfortable situation financially, but Oz is not called the 'Lucky Country' for nothing,
    as the national anthem tells it ' we have wealth for toil'.
    Those who do a fair days work here will always do well.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I,m pleased that you guys have done well in your chosen countries, as you are aware Oz not for me, but some seem to think that here in this country we are living a miserable existence , I think in any country if you work you can prosper. I retired on a full pension at 53, my wife retired on pension at 55, both pensions are linked to inflation, plus we both draw old age pensions. We own our own house, and both enjoy travel, 4 one week visits this year to Devon, Dorset , Somerset, Shropshire,. I don’t bother with foreign travel now, we live in our own beautiful country. With the onset of winter here the trees are all changing colour, the weather still mild, absolutely beautiful. I play golf twice a week, until 10 years ago, owned my own yacht, and sailed all summer. We all moan about politics, and we are facing tough times at the moment, and so is the rest of the world it seems. We do have people struggling to survive these difficult times, as do most countries, but we will look after them, it’s what we do. So come on us Brits, let’s tell it like it is. Kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a comfortable life , not minted but doing okay, can afford to have a holiday home in France .
    I suppose a lot of people who live elsewhere abroad think we all live in two bedroomed terraced houses with the toilet out the back and no heating.
    Well that is what 50 years of Coronation street and East Enders does for you. I never watch those shows but at times you get a preview during day time TV , Trust me most people in the UK are not like the actors portray how life is in the UK.

Most Brits are happy and get on with life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    How can anyone from the UK living abroad and not considering to return to the UK; vote there in order to participate in their Democracy?
    To me it looks like the Conservatives are after every vote they can get, be a bit much if the vote from overseas Brits [And I'm not one} could change or keep in a Govt that the locals didn't want, great for the so called democracy I suppose.
    Des
    Actually you don't even have to be a British citizen ".... possible for people who are not British citizens and do not live in the UK, and so would not be eligible to vote in a UK general election, to be eligible to vote in the upcoming Conservative leadership contest" https://fullfact.org/news/who-can-vo...rship-contest/

8. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds bit 'iffy' if you ask me.
    To vote in most countries you must either be a citizen or on some form of permanent visa.
    But as to voting now in UK, would not have any chance, we have enough problems here with our polis without adding more to the mix.

But a question to those in UK who think a different gov could make things better.
    How would that be done, any ideas?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why would anyone want to vote for. A country they don’t live in ? Those wishing to do a country harm by causing disharmony ? and over the years this site has had those coming and going trying to cause such. If one goes back through posts a few years one can spot those whose middle name is disharmony. Myself I just shut off when I can see the approaching arguments , must give them a sexual sensation or other sort of exultation to their mediocre lives . Must have a Putin complex ruler of all they survey maybe ? A bit iffy is the right word for it John . Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yesterday I received an e-mail from the gov department controlling voting rights.
    They now say a deep and expanding probe will be launched into this matter.
    As they rightly say voting in Oz is only for citizens, not those on permanent visas.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4