Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Disturbing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Disturbing

Been naturalized as soon as we could almost 40 years ago, just three years after arriving.
    Go back at times toi see family and friends, but live there NO!!!!
    Too crowded, too bloody expensive and I no longer like English beer.

Went one period of 18 years between visits, what I saw then was a country I no longer knew.

If on stater pension or similar the longest we can be out of the country is 41 days.
    At the 42 day mark we would lose the pension suppliment, brought in some years ago to help with GST.
    Once lost it cannot be reclaimed.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Rodney Mills, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As said 6 weeks is long enough JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, as you Aussies seem to like giving your opinion on the UK, perhaps that gives me licence to give my opinion of Australia !!!, personally I would not give you tuppence for the place, I think there is a strong racial tendency, at least in the places that I have visited, ie Western , Perth, Margaret river area, Sunshine Coast, Brisbane , south in Adelaide, and also Cairns( how did you ever market Cairns as a nice place?). I certainly don’t like the food, in fact had food poisoning in Adelaide one time, no sorry lads Oz not for me, as I have said before, the best view of Oz is from 30,000 feet on your way to the long white cloud, New Zealand is a lovely country. So now I await incoming.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith #13,
    Have to agree with you re. Australia. One of my cousin's emigrated there many years ago, they started off in nsw where he was a sheep farmer then moved to Perth, he went back to Scotland but she stayed and ended up as the head sister in Perth's main hospital. I visited her a couple of times when I paid off in Kwinana. I found the locals, especially the taxi drivers, insufferably rude. Loading in Wollongong met some decent ex pat's who took us up to the blue mountains for a Barbie, but again found the locals amongst the stevedores and in town unpleasant and as for Sydney and it's suburbs forget it. Even kings cross was dismal, dull, expensive and the bars and clubs unwelcoming.
    Like some other here, the only one
    Country I ever thought of emigrating to was Canada. In British Colombia I was offered the job as cargo super for loading timber ships and in Prince Rupert was offered a job in the Canadian coastguard. We seriously thought about it but at the time with a young family and both sets of our parents knocking on in age, we decided to stay and have never regretted it. As a family we have visited a number of European countries and when at sea I managed to visit and experience every continent but have to say, despite all it's problems and how much we moan on about how useless, in the main, our parliamentarians are, the u.k isn't half a decent place to live, even if in many cities it's difficult to understand the local dialect or even to see a white face, we manage to rub along with our legal immigrants from around the world , who in the main appear to have adopted to our way of life.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    Last edited by John Arton; 3rd October 2022 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I also have a relative there John, and have spent some time in various parts of Oz, perhaps therein lies our problem here in UK, we talk it down too much, the guys in OZ talk their country up, but it’s not one I recognise from my travels there.The people that have settled here in Uk legally , I have no problem with, and live in an area of the country that is by and large unaffected. I always think we are a fair country, sometimes too fair, but I am proud of Being British with its many faults.Keith T
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Been to Australia several times cannot say I really saw the place. I have sailed with a few Aussies on BP ships. All they did was winge about what they were being paid. I did ask the question why they were sailing on a Brit ship if the money was so good on the Australian ships. No jobs was the usual reply, well then stop moaning. Did find they did make decent beer. The locals seemed to have a problem knowing when they had had enough. Would I live there no, not for me. I am happy in the UK and have the rest of Europe to enjoy. Still have a holiday home in France. But thanks to Brexit and the state of the ££ V €€ getting rather expensive now.
    Only country I could have been happy to emigrate to would have been Canada I always found Canadians to be friendly and respectful.
    BC & Vancouver I always enjoyed. Have family there, also have family in Australia and New Zealand.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#10 some of the highly emotional replies on thread just shows how correct it is not to interfere with another countries politics and how is a stupid idea for Australians to vote in a British election. Whoever thought that one up should drop it like a hot potato Anyhow some replies eased my mind as Australia is getting a bit over the top to immigrants Will make a good advert for the Republicans living here .This will at some time be on the Agenda our present incumbent. PM has stated it will Come at the end of his term , that is if it isn’t before. Think NZ will follow the lines of Oz. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith.
    Good post, and I agree with you, I comment sometimes on what is printed about British Politics but I am and have been for years an Australian, that doesn't mean that I have forgotten where I was born, brought up and given the chance to go to sea. It doesn't much worry me who runs the UK as I don't have to put up with it, and your right other than commenting on what we remember about it we shouldn't say anything about who is running the country.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Living in Oz allows you to be who you want to be, not put into a class as was often the case living in UK.
    Like any country it is what you make of it, we know we are far better off here than ever were living in UK.
    I can walk down the road and say g'day to any one I have never met before and get a good response.

Yes we have our problems, which country does not, and ye sin time we may become a republic, but that will not make any difference to how we live.

We have acquired far more wealth here in Oz than we ever would in UK, and live a very good life style.
    Been back to Uk a number of times but there is little there that would entice me back, too bloody expensive for a start.

But like Des I do know where my roots lie and I will always be a patriotic ex pat, but y loyalty now lies with Oz.

To those who have had a bad experience, that can happen in any country, as can food poisoning, go to Bali and find that.
    So I will continue to examine UK politics and may pass comment, as I do on UK, USA and a few others.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the 50s and 60s .....oz was a good place i believe to earn better money than the uk ....even taking in the cost of living.....and them suntanned ladies were a wow ......britain was stillcold and dark in the 50s .....and the times in winter not good with not many heating implements.....but i still have a a great thought for oz in general and believe it to still be a great country and again a bastion for the free world.....good on yer cobber you will do for me .....R683532

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast