Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: the mini budget up-date

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: the mini budget up-date

The labour party made the Tories a very nice gift of Jeremy Corbin, i think the Tories have just done the same thing for the Labour party.
    R689823

2. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh yes could not agree more. If U turn Truss is still PM in a month I will be surprised. I don't think the high and mighty of the CONservative party will let her remain in post for much longer. Penny Mordaunt will become care taker PM until the next General election.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I swore when I was a youth, a long time ago, I'm 86, that I would never condemn*youth, just for being young.* Surely those of you in their 80s remember, Bill Halley and his Comets, Elvis et al, Teddy Boys, Rock and Roll.* My parents and relatives and my friend's families condemned us to no end.* We even were blamed for the loss of the Empire...bit weird really because that's quite an effort on my part, because I was ten at the time of India's independence.* More than likely "Me dad did it."

The next batch of ten year olds were branded as the TV idiots and today's kids are condemned for being turned on by computers.* Each generation since the*Industrial Revolution has followed*a craze, but in spite of being*dumber than their parents or grandparents pushed the boundaries of medicine, travel, entertainment, sports, etc., etc..* And this coming generation will do the same, and more than likely turn into old codgers and condemn the upcoming generation ad nauseum.

The generation before me, left school at thirteen, it was upped to 15 for my*generation. * In the States completion of high school is at 18. If the child is a hopeless case, they can leave at 16 but try getting a job at 16. Try getting a job, other than a toilet bowl cleaner, without graduating from high*school in*the States. Try getting a job today that pays half descent without college in the States...good luck! Many a factory job requires at least an AA (two-year college) degree.

Why was it raised from 13 to 16? They had to. The world was advancing at such a rapid pace you couldn't cram the knowledge into age 13 no more than you can do it with16 year*olds.

The kids in the States, lug a ton of books home with them and spend at least 3 hours on homework. If they don't do their homework, it's out of school at 16 and welcome to the world of toilet bowl cleaning. Competing against non-English speaking immigrants or illegals*for lowly jobs.

Oh yeah! I left school at 15. Southchurch Hall High School for boys, the only thing high about it was it had two floors and was on a slight hill. I emigrated to Canada, and it didn't take me long to know I was little better than a functioning illiterate. I paid almost a month's salary each for high school home study courses in math and English. In the States I took high school courses*to get a US high school equivalent. I continued taking courses*in business math and accounting, English and government with the University of Berkley, California., and taught myself Spanish and German, and my second wife had a masters*degree and was a schoolteacher and available to clear up homework problems, so I had a live in tutor.

I ended up as the President and CEO of a multinational Industrial Catering Company, offices on Madison Avenue, NYC and could see the upper stories of the Empire State Building from my office window, I would pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Oh, and I retired at 47.

I think I did OK for a one-time Teddy Boy who was vocally condemned by my seniors as causing everything other than the end of the civilized world.

Before someone says I am an exception to the rule, stop for a moment and look at the remarkable things just in aviation alone, that has been done and created by the generations following mine, and will be continuing going forward....and there will be people still pissing and moaning "Beware, the end is nigh" The kids of today can't.... (fill in the blanks).

Cheers, Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rodney.
    You make the point well. unfortunately not all kids who deserve a break get them, though I think we ended up in a town where they do look after the kids, maybe it's because its a small place and any trouble makers are soon sorted, but they are few and far between. All the kids we have come into contact with here are more polite than we have come to expect, which is great.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have two nephews, both with great educations.
    One leaned Vietnamese and spent some ten years in Vietnam in a very good job.
    He came back to oz and since has struggled to get any where.
    The other one has gone from strength to strength in the world of architecture.

As for the current lot in Westminster, maybe they should fit a merry go round, it would make it a lot easier to change ministers.
    Get off the Unicorn on to the Pony, then on to the Giraffe and before you know it you are back at the start again.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the first lord of the Treasury is the Prime minister why has Liz Truss not resigned? She is the so called Captain of the ship and decisions by her and the now ex chancellor have led to the economic melt down of the value of the UK £££. Why has she not resigned ?
    I hope she has not unpacked her suit case yet since she moved into number 10 , she will not be staying there long by the look of it.

Former cabinet minister David Davis has joined calls for Boris Johnson to stand down, telling the prime minister: "In the name of God, go."

I wonder how long it will be before we hear something similar for Liz Truss.
    Last edited by James Curry; 15th October 2022 at 11:41 AM.

8. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's the chance to make some money !!!, R Sunak and Penny Morant , Ben Wallace all have better odds.

cording to political betting sites, Truss is 6/1 to lose her job this year. That price has actually stabilised from the 7/2 odds provided during the height of the government-triggered financial crisis in September. Still, it’s a long way from the 20/1 price gifted Truss at the start of her reign.
    Meanwhile, the chances of her being ousted in 2023 continue to rise. Bookies have shifted that price from 7/4 (36.4%), to 5/4 (44.4%), to a new mark of 4/5 (55.6%).
    Truss is now more likely to be booted out of No 10 in 2023 than she is to keep her job.

Bet £10, Get £30 in Free Bets

R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You’ll probably finish up back with Tony Bliar complete with gong Keith. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Clarification. I am by no means suggesting that youths who break the law, should be patted on the hand and "There, there, don't do it again." Heck no, you do wrong you pay the price." In general, I oppose the death penalty, but not in the case of a mass killer, there I think a mad dog law comes in effect and put him or her down. Even that becomes controversial. What constitutes a 'Mad dog".

I served on a jury. One of the cases was a young man charged with burglary. He claimed he found the swag and was stopped by the police for speeding and the swag was discovered. We retired to the jury room and the foreman immediately asked for a vote. It was 10 to 8 for Equitel. A woman and I were the two for guilty, We argued the case for two or more hours, gradually picking up guilty votes, until it was 12-0 for guilty.

We returned to the court room and the verdict was given to the judge. When he read it out the prisoner was stunned. The judge gave him the maximum sentence he could. Threw the book at him and looked like he wanted to throw his chair too. He adjourned and cleared the court of everyone except we the jury. And told us that this guy had been making a living at crime, he had a rap sheet as long as one's arm and only been convicted once, he'd got away because he looked like "An angel". and the Jurie's believed him. "He is coming before me again next week, twice, if he is found guilty again, he goes away for life". (South Carolina had/has? A three-time loser law) The judge then gave the jury the thanks of the court.

This B.S. about he had a terrible upbringing and was beaten, blah, blah blah, give the villain another chance is nonsense. I had a crappy life as a child and a youth, it didn't turn me to a life of crime, and knowing what is right from wrong, if not by parents, it was taught in school, in our generation it was a combo of staying-in during recess, staying after school, letter sent to parents, or the stick. if you went to Sunday school, being good and behaving good during service. There's a bunch on this site who were raised during the war and went without heaps of toys and gifts at xmas. or new clothes, but had hand-me-down clothing and yet didn't become a villain.

Cheers, Rodney, down now from my soapbox.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not saying all kids are the same, but lots of those know, and indeed some of my relatives, where paying for your *keep* sees to be another dying tradition. Left school at 15 yrs and started work on the Monday after leaving that Friday, my wages for the first six month was £1.75 a week, my *keep* money to Mum was the 75p, or 15 shillings as it was then, and i was proud that i was now contributing to the house. A lot of the youngsters i know pay zilch, this leaves them very nicely, some even went to school in their own cars of late. its a strange old world to some of us, and getting stranger by the day.
    R689823

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast