Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Hypocrisy of the Left

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hypocrisy of the Left

Should look at the history books as castles were built on the same theory with moats round them. If the invaders got up to the castle walls it was the usual procedude to welcome them with boiling oil on their heads . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John M
    That old chestnut of Labour letting the boat people in is so stale it was thrown out with the stale bread. it was Labour who started the boat stoppage. the libs have let in more foreigners than any one, try finding an English speaker in Sydney since they came to power.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des, under Rudd and Gillard there were over 7000 deaths at sea with illegals attempting to get in.
    It was the mad monk who stopped it and created Border Force.

But no matter, if Labor remove Temparary Protection Visas as they say they will there is a good chance the people smugglers will once again try.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, vic mcclymont, N/A, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Australia has a population of 25 million and is the 6th Largest country in the world. Seriously one would think that Australia should be doing more for refugees than they are. Maybe the UK should do a deal with Australia and those crossing the channel should be flown to Australia instead of the UK spending millions to those honest men & women who make up the government of Rwanda.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There would be an argument there if they were all genuine refugees . It was decided years ago that a refugee was a person fleeing persecution and death.Why bend the rules ?? If they want to come in do what people are supposed to do , fill in the forms to see that you are required or needed . Otherwise just stay away. As soon as you try to enter a country illegally you have a criminal record , criminals get deported in most countries of the world.
    I don’t have any sympathy for criminals . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reply to #60

First, I agree wholeheartedly with JSW. All immigrants should be vetted before permission is granted to entry.

Next before stating that Australia has such a large land mass and a relatively small population in regard to that land mass. You should study the topography and weather of Australia. I do not know the exact percentage of Australia's land that is barren and unable to support human life or can only support small groups of nomadic people that can follow the limited water, but it is massive. Just look at the map of Australia and where the cities and towns are, they are mostly around the coast and not even then all the way around the coast and a few small towns down the center. Putting it bluntly, Australia cannot support a large influx of people, they would just add to the population of existing cities and towns and not fill in the land mass.

Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are correct Rod, I live in a small town of around 5,000, there are thousands of acres of land with small farms, [around 300 acres] that run a few sheep or cattle, and one or two big holdings that run thousands of the same. most of the emigrants live in the big cities which are bursting at the seams, people are being told to go to the regions, unfortunately there are no jobs there.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of our population lives along the east coast.
    I have travelled a lot of the country including bush regions that only just provide enough for a few creatures.

About 80% of the country is desert, salt bush and Gibber plains, not suited to living there.
    Our intake of GENUINE refugees is in line with the UN charter on such.
    However if you attempt to come into the country by the back door or some other illegal way you will be sent back.

About 7000 drowned at sea during the term of the last Labor gov, all ion boats run by people smugglers, exactly what is occurring bow in UK.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Mills View Post
    Reply to #60

First, I agree wholeheartedly with JSW. All immigrants should be vetted before permission is granted to entry.

Next before stating that Australia has such a large land mass and a relatively small population in regard to that land mass. You should study the topography and weather of Australia. I do not know the exact percentage of Australia's land that is barren and unable to support human life or can only support small groups of nomadic people that can follow the limited water, but it is massive. Just look at the map of Australia and where the cities and towns are, they are mostly around the coast and not even then all the way around the coast and a few small towns down the center. Putting it bluntly, Australia cannot support a large influx of people, they would just add to the population of existing cities and towns and not fill in the land mass.

Rodney
    Read somewhere years ago that as immigrants arrived in America during the period of the Civil war. During processing the men who were considered to be of military age were greeted with, Welcome to America, given a Union Uniform and told here you go. now go and fight for your new country. Not sure if it was in a Novel I read that, but nothing wrong with the Idea in my book.
    Last edited by James Curry; 17th May 2022 at 11:29 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

James #65

Yes, that was the rule. And to a certain degree still is. I arrived in the States from Canada at age 23, married with one son. I had to register with the draft board within 60 days. Korea was over but special forces were moving into Viet Nam. I had a little twinge in my you know where, but no big deal, the Korean draft was over.

I was eligible under the then law of being drafted between 18-26, though not likely, being married with a baby son.

Things started to warm up and the draft was back in with married started to be taken. I was 26. It got worse, they upped the age of the draft, the twinge turned in to a pucker. Married with kids were starting to be taken. In hind-site, I was always slightly on the good side (to not be drafted), but I didn't know it, it was a worry, Viet Nam was no picnic. the evening news was body-bags being unloaded.

As soon as I could I took out my citizenship and I had to get a paper from the draft board, and some 18-year-old secretary from the draft board gave me an ass-chewing, because I never took my draft medical exam and I had to come back to be questioned. When I did, I wore my three-piece business suit, had my briefcase and had a fresh hair cut (styled) and showed up for my interview, I made a point of giving my business card to the sweet old lady who interviewed me, she was wonderful and agreed there was so much to do when you had a family (three sons now) and arriving in a new home and could easily forget. I could have kissed her wrinkled brow.

The stupid thing of the whole deal is I was born with an eye defect, imagine if you had a black disk slightly off center in your left eye, that's what I have. Over the years i got so used to cheating on eye exams, it became second nature. I don't require glasses as a lens an inch thick would not correct my vision (I wear them now as bifocals, reading at the bottom, plain glass at the top). Because I then had 20 20 in my right eye and peripheral vision in the left, I could safely drive both then and now. And to me everything was normal.

During my medical for attending Gravesend for the MN, the doctor gave me the card to hold over each eye and read the chart out...and I cheated as per usual.

It's only fairly recently that I found out if I had taken the draft board medical, I would have been 4 f, they would have taken my grandmother before me. If I had been injured in my right eye in the Viet Nam Jungle, I would have been blind and had to be guided out, thus two soldiers out of commission, and for me blind, and a pension for life. The Government is not big on that.

In closing, When I was an Executive Chef, I also had a Parttime Teaching Credential and taught three evenings a week to apprentice cooks in Fresno, California. One of the students was a very quiet and reserved young man. The draft was not taking students in the other trade apprenticeships but were with cooking. I tried everything I could to get him a deferment to no effect, he went. He was the sort of kid that if in the jungle the squad leader shouted "Duck!" He would look up and say "Where?" Over the years, like now when I'm writing about Viet Nam I wonder if he made it.

I advanced and processed his apprenticeship papers to show he was a cook and told him to flash them when he finished his basic training and get into a kitchen. I had him practice making cheese (for lunch) and Chocolate souffles for dessert and figure out how to serve them to some General and become his Chef, and not end up in the Jungle, and to load up on cookbooks and hopefully become an Instructor Army Cook Stateside for his Army duration. I hope that's what happened.

Cheers, Rodney

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast