Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics and News

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Politics and News

Well after much thought both Brian and myself have decided to add this Sub Forum for the Members who seem to thrive on Politics.
    Just be aware that this Sub Forum carries the same Rules as the rest and no bad Language or other will be tolerated here.
    Any Threads and Posts deemed not suitable will either be Edited or Deleted whichever i think necessary!
    Have Fun,
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 14th November 2021 at 08:16 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Politics and News

Let me christen it then , my politics as regards party policies is non existent , and as voting is compulsory in Australia , I vote for the person who I think is most competent in which case an attractive lady would stand a good chance in my book. Its a job I would not like to do so to critisize is unfair as most including myself do not know the circumstances on which the decisions are made. Being human I will shout out when some of those decisions affect me to loss of circumstances however. The same applies to the media especially newspapers , I buy for the hatch match and despatch columns and for the crossword. Their news I prefer to listen to people themselves . This is my welcome to the new subject posting place . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 15th November 2021 at 12:15 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

heard the right definition of our PM today. He is like a turtle on top of a flag pole. Some idiot put him there, does not know what to do, has no idea where he is going. My delimma is that I like the candidate but do not want another three years of that idiot as my PM. The other delimma is that I like the PM but can not stand the candidate. So voting in australia means that you are constantly caught up in a catch 22 situation. As they say here? The only choice one has at the ballot box is wheather you want to be fecked fast or slow and no other choice. What gets up my goat is those died in the woll party supporters that can not see the damage that they do by never admitting that their party stuffed up and deserves a term or two on the back bench
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The problem here in Oz, and many countries, are the public servants, the back room boys.

The ones who make policy, decide what is the to go, then expect the polis to run with it.

The sub deal is one such event.
    There is not a poli who would even know where to find a sub, let alone know if it was any good.

It was the permanent guys in the Defence department who ran the deal, then the gov has to live with it and sign off on it.
    That is how the system works.

Liberal or Labor, there is little to choose between them, apart from the Green preference going to Labor.

But the system of preferential voting is crap, first past the post should be the winner.

Compulsory voting, no such thing, all you need to do is have your attendance at eh booth noted then off you go.

Last state election I tore up my voting paper and asked if the lady could put kit in the bin
    I did not like nay of the candidates so chose not to give them a leg up.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Australia is a wonderful country, my sister and her family were given opportunities they would never have had if they remained in UK.
    Later when my parents joined them it gave them a new lease of life.
    Where I think Australia has gone badly wrong is by tying themselves to the coat tails of the US. This has led to being dragged into unnecessary wars such as Vietnam and Afghanistan. By joining the West in constant criticism of China they are in danger of losing their most important trading partner.
    Just my thoughts from afar.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Definitely agree with the first sentences Louis.
    Have reservations about the second part although see your point of view. Australia has in the past received more help and assistance from the US than it has from the uk in the past few decades . There will be many Australians who will remember well the entry of the UK into Europe and their turning of their backs on the various lucrative trades they came out of with Oz and NZ. The uk will be seen by those with a non European background as nothing special. As regards a new lease of life however I can vouch for that . Cheers JS
    R575129

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Madness abounds it appears.

There is now a push here in Victoria for any one wishing to be come a politician.
    They must first have at least ten years as a worker, not a union rep or a poli staffer, a real job.

But our feral member is well suited to the job, before entering politician he managed a Double Glazing firm.

But wait there is more.

A push to have the sale of tobacco banned from retail outlets.
    The medical profession say it is bad for your health.

What did you say sir, you want to shoot up some Heroin, no sir that is illegal and bad for your health.
    But if you must there is a legal safe injecting room just along the road, try in there.

No mate you would not read about it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Politics and News

I do not normally get involved in political debate,especially Australian politics,which I know nothing about! , although I must admit I have learnt a thing or two about Antipodean politics from our Aussie and Kiwi shipmates on here in the past.. No,here in UK,I save my political leanings for the ballot box.
    And just an observation of mine.I see that the most outspoken of you on here are as equally at home penning your Political slant posts as you are with your Jokes posts. Perhaps they are the same! Nothing wrong with that........Yakety Yak.gif

Poppy (2).gif

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some say that COP26 was a failure, getting people from 200 countries in the same venue, must be counted as a success. Surely no one expected an instant solution to all the world's CO2 problems, or any other problems. Describing India and China as developing countries is a nonsense, both are nuclear powers, both have satellites in space, both have the largest armies and navies on the planet and the rest of us so called developed, near bankrupt countries are being called upon to give trillions of dollars to help them decarbonise. As for assisting Africa, well as far as I can remember in my relatively long life on this earth, that's all we have been doing for decade after decade after decade, if they stopped all their tribal infighting and stopped spending billions on armaments then they would have more than sufficient funds to feed their peoples and develop their industry, agriculture and infrastructure, it is irresponsible to blame all their apparent woes on the planet and others, mismanagement and corruption on a grand scale are the major obstacles to them being able to fend for themselves. Alas they will never put their houses in order whilst they continue to get subsidised by those countries whose populace work and pay taxes and whose governments disperse largesse as if it grows on trees.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a thought about the Polish/Belaruss situation, I notice that we as a non EU member have sent Engineer troops to said border to assist the Polish, where is the EU Rapid Reaction Force (EURRF), or any other EU force or even police force to help contain the situation. Whoops forgot that the EURRF needs all remaining 27 members to agree on its deployment before it can be moved, that may prove to be a little too late in some circumstances. NATO at this time will not enact any mobilisation, although our troops have been deployed as part of a NATO alliance of which UK and Poland are members, As usual the solidarity of the EU leaves a lot to be desired as the French and Italians are looking the other way, the Germans are reluctant to get involved because of their last involvement with Poland, the Danish are wondering who they should surrender to, the Belgians and the Dutch are still deciding whom to support and the Irish are of course sitting on the sidelines as usual, so they cannot be accused of anything. The Spanish and the Portuguese are saying 'Where is Poland'

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast