Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics and News

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Politics and News

Big shortage of fruit pickers here in Oz, no back packers coming in due to the Virus.
    Gov has now declared that there must be a minimum wage per hour for them, think about $25 which is about $5 above the min wage here.

But there are many able bodied who are nothing more than dole bludgers who could do it.
    Problem is the farmers want people who are prepared to work.

No John, left school at 16 because the head told my mother I could be very good if I went to Uni. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I preferred to be bad.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes Marian Gray liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#168. To have a car was once considered a luxury and to anyone I know still living in England still is. I never had a car until I worked and paid for it , it was still a luxury. Reading some of these posts about the uk , I can’t see why anyone is supplied with one free gratis ,unless it is physically impossible for any other way to provide transport to a physically incompetent citizen of the country. I have like most people always lived according to my means , and that means depends on how willing you are to put yourself out , by getting off ones fat ass , and doing it. To most workers going on the dole was considered demeaning at one time , today it is considered work, that should be changed to head work . This would be a good start for the climate changers to have all the free cars given to so called hardship non workers immobilised and taken to the scrapyard. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th November 2021 at 07:35 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #168. To have a car was once considered a luxury and to anyone I know still living in England still is. JS
    John, are there two Englands ? car a luxury!! I think not, walk/drive/ride round any Council or any other estate and you will see an abundance of cars, 2,3,5 per household, every 17 year old aspires to a car, whether boy, girl or ?? and if they can't afford one they'll take yours. Housebuilders have to build residential properties if not with a garage then a designated parking spot,unless built in a pedestrianised designated area, commercial properties in towns are discouraged from providing parking facilities. People who live in country towns, rural villages or places like mine where bus services start at 0930 and cease at 1700 Mon -Sat one an hour (if you're lucky) and none on a Sunday need cars

Cars a luxury in England, no they are essential, unless you live in London (next bus in two minutes), or Birmingham, Liverpool etc etc.

Perhaps your friends are having you on, when on your last visit and your wife drove you everywhere, were the roads traffic free or had you nodded off.

John, believe or not, some of us even have fridges, freezers and them whirly washing machine things, gone are the days when you did the washing in them funny shaped bowls and when you pulled the chain to rinse it it disappeared down a hole
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 25th November 2021 at 09:38 AM. Reason: old age

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Further to #193 in the news media today, no research necessary:-

There were 40.4 million vehicles registered on UK roads in 2020.

33% of neighbourhood disputes are over parking places.

Young couple in their 30's murdered in their beds in Plymouth last week over parking space dispute.

Contractors just had their building permit cancelled as they only provided 10 parking slots for 30 flats.

All new builds from 2028 (?) must have vehicle charging facilities built into them

Cars a luxury, more like a burden

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Well I suppose you may have read that 30 an hour figure in the Daily Mail/Express/Telegraph I suspect you are not the type of person who would read the Sun. You would be surprised what information one can obtain from reading a link pertaining to a subject. So you never read the HMG links then?
    I don't know to whom your above post is directed, as you neglected to clarify, but if directed at me then the publication if I remember correctly was the 'Torbay Weekly' which deals with matters of Devon and Cornwall where-in farmers had said they couldn't get pickers at even 30 per hour

As far as links are concerned, I don't do news links, there are enough news formats available. I do links if directed by my medical practice, or those matters that pertain to official requirements (e.g. vehicle licence, passports etc etc) or nautical links where-in I can improve my knowledge, I am not interested in tittle tattle by biased commentators.

As to reading the Sun, last time I read one of those was in a Doctor's Surgery and that was over two years ago, nothing against it, what you read is a personal choice and should not be dictated by others, because the others think their choice is superior to anyone else's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan, If i remember them then you certainly do, Wringing out machines handball jobs that you never wanted to get your fingers caught in the rollers as it took the excess water out of the washing, My old man and his brother decided to get a little window cleaning business together, Make a few quid in between ships, So they found the biggest houses in Crosby Liverpool as know one else would touch them. The first day out my old man was doing the bottom windows my uncle Syd was doing the top ones. After finishing the front of this bloody big house my old man and his little ladder went around the back, He noticed a wringing machine at the bottom of this bloody big garden with a pair of socks sticking out, He decided to go and check the socks were ok More like were they his size, As he approached the wringing machine a bloody big bear jumped out of the garden shed My uncle Syd confirmed this and growled like hell at him, Our Syd told us he never seen my old man move as quick in all his life he fell over in the garden getting away about 3 times, Go back for the ladder Norman we need it needless to say they never done that house again. True tale Regards Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like many in UK cars are an essential here in Oz.
    Public transport is not bad but has never been a mainstay for transport apart from major city centers.
    We still have Trams here in Melbourne.

Last time in London we saw cars parked on both sides of the road and along the center, a bit crowded you could say.

But most of the public transport we do have is operated by companies from overseas.
    Most of the local bus route run by a UK company are some of the rail lines.

Distance here is the killer, may commuters will drive over 100klm each way to and from work, that is like London to Brighton twice a day.
    But our freeways are good so it can be done in an hour.

Think nothing of on a Sunday going for a drive of maybe 400 klm, easy to do here.

But with the advent of EV it may well become a problem as few will do much more than that, and that is before you start using lights, wipers, air con etc then the range drops by as much 12% we are told.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#193 I did say once upon a time Ivan. Today I have a younger brother 68 years of age never owned a car , never even owned a TV set always been on hire. Still lives in the same council house since 1952. Must be as you said one of the few English people living on the estate , others belong to the liqourice all sort variety with 3 or 4 cars and mainly on the dole as well. My brother has been rarely out of work , has never claimed dole or any form of rent reduction. Wouldn’t ever get married as couldn’t support a wife. We all have different morals and if a true believer live by them. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Royal Commission going on here just now looking into suicide by service men and women after their time in war zones.

There have been a number accused of war crimes by mainly those in the media who think they know it all.

Sad that so many do go that way but very few of us have been in situations such as they have and are in no position to judge.

As one guy who is accused of war crimes said,

'We are sent out to fight an enemy, one that at times we do not even see, one that will use any means to kill us.
    It is kill or be killed and if you do not want us to do that then convince the powers that be not to send un into a conflict zone.

The media in general were not too keen to reprint that statement.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Victoria Moss, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We went home for a trip in I think 89, decided to drive around my old village and look at where I played cricket, soccer, etc.
    the green was no longer there, big houses, full of Swansea soccer players and families, not only that, but the surrounding fields were full of new houses. I thought I would call into the house where I was born, not a hope there were so many cars parked in the street I had trouble getting through the middle.
    Des
    Lest We Forget

13. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast