Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics and News

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Politics and News

#204 we lived on Richmond Park Road Des, at the bottom of the park which was also a billet for the army so had the anti- aircraft guns all down the street adding to the racket. It may have been a bit of a deterrent to aircraft , but the dumb V1 and V2 s took no notice. JS .
    R575129

2. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Few years ago we were in Vietnam on a cruise and went to see some of the war zones.

The one we went to was just as it was at the end of conflict, just the grass cut so visitors can see.
    I now understand what some of the men went through when you see some of the traps the Vietcong set.

Can fully understand how such trauma can destabalize the mind.

One lady at the commission hearing today spoke of her son who was turned on by fellow workers because of his time in the Army, he committed suicide.

It has been said that if the men who send the young men to war had to go there would be no wars.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John I know a few ex Vietnam vets also, one was telling me one time , they also set up traps on the jungle trails for the advancing enemy on Saigon. They called them like the old cowboy films ambushes. No matter what nationality a person is he dies the same sometimes excruciating death as anyone else. I was telling this one my short experience trying to get into Saigon as a port of refuge in 1970 , he said at that same moment in time he was lying in an ambush peeing in his pants. When you think back these were not professional soldiers but their names drawn out of a hat makes you wonder. They certainly deserved more than they got , which was scorn when they got back to Australia. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#206.. Victoria I think it was in 1962 , I still have the RN course certificate somewhere , other merchant seamen did the same or similar courses and civilians know very little about certain aspects of war. In 1962 it was considered up to date warfare but today would be like knights in armour, anyhow when war was considered more probable than possible all British merchant ships were provided wth certain means of communication and certain instruments , nuclear air blasts were expected and all ships carried instruments to measure the rotogens for nuclear fallout a Person exposed might have received . If he was above a certain level he was expendable as was going to die in any case and was employed wherever someone was needed out in an exposed position. Naval crews were trained to this level. I think anyone who found themselves outside Manning an obsolete bofors gun , would be getting traumatic feelings that no one loved him anymore . Today 63 years later the training must be well above this level. But our armed forces today are all volunteers and should know what to expect. Korea and Vietnam were just kids being taken in lots of cases against their will , they weren’t ready for what they had to experience..The instruments supplied to get a radiation reading was very similar to the one for an initial Covus test but was under the chin and not on the forehead . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 29th November 2021 at 10:56 AM.
    R575129

6. Thanks cappy, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In WW2 our country was in danger of being invaded, men and women fought and died to prevent this happening.
    Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya were wars of choice, the countries did not pose a direct threat to the west.
    No one will ever know how many died in bomb and missile attacks. We are still seeing the consequences with the immigrant crisis, the deaths in the Mediterranean and now the English Channel.
    The soldiers who are left injured and traumatised by war must be asking themselves what was it all for? What did it achieve?.

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#211.. I can however see that after the twin towers the initial reaction to get the perpetrators at the time and going in to exterminate them. However most thought this would be a very short term affair, and should have been , and after a fixed short period , all troops should have left the country and not remain there successful or not.
    However we are the little people and have very little or no say , JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the fly View Post
    In WW2 our country was in danger of being invaded, men and women fought and died to prevent this happening.
    Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya were wars of choice, the countries did not pose a direct threat to the west.
    No one will ever know how many died in bomb and missile attacks. We are still seeing the consequences with the immigrant crisis, the deaths in the Mediterranean and now the English Channel.
    The soldiers who are left injured and traumatised by war must be asking themselves what was it all for? What did it achieve?.
    Through lack of mention in a post such as this especially written by Louis the fly, one now knows why the Korean War is known as the 'Forgotten War'.

Regards from,
    Fouro.

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Marian Gray, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Please explain the comment "Especially written by Louis the fly".

13. Thanks j.sabourn, Fouro thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re # 214
    I don't see any reason why I should give you an explanation, but I would emphasize that I am surprised that you failed to include such an important 'conflict' in your list.

Regards from,
    Fouro.

15. Thanks Marian Gray, cappy thanked for this post
    Likes vic mcclymont, Bill Cameron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The term 'forgotten war' has been used in many occasions, usually by some who have a grudge to bear.

But since Cocky was in the egg there has been conflict, and will continue as long as man walks the face of this planet.

Greed, is one of the biggest reasons for conflict, some one wants what some one else has.

The manner in which those who returned from Vietnam here in Oz was truly awful.
    They were sent, many by conscription to fight an enemy they often could not see.
    Jungle warfare with an enemy who had the upper hand.

But during our tour we saw a video made during the conflict.
    It was made as a documentary to encourage the Vietnam the continue the fight.

It became obvious this was not a fight between North and South, but rather between USA and Russia just using Vietnam as the battle ground.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 30th November 2021 at 05:45 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

17. Thanks j.sabourn, N/A thanked for this post
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast