and poetry in your soul.

an old welsh saying. best wishes geoff

2. Thanks David Williams thanked for this post
    Likes David Williams liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Taffy 2 mate, you forgot one very important fact, you must be born in Wales!!!!!!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john. i was. it was st davids hospital in cardiff . it us'ed to be the old workhouse.had to live with that stigma all my life.my family back i wales always called me the workhouse baby . booo booo crying. best wishes the workhouse baby

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Trifle Mischievous

Dear Geoff,

Greatest of respect for your national pride and I have no intention of being anything but a trifle mischievous.

But who was it that said “If you think the Scots are tight – you never sailed with a Welsh man”

Only teasing, spent Easter in St Davids this year and apart from a few Hooray Henries in the Farmers Arms is hasn’t changed a bit. We are planning to have a long weekend at Effin Neffin (Morfa Neffin Portdinllaen) http://www.tycoch.co.uk/Java2.html

Best Regards Steve R770014 South Derbyshire (in the wet)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of my hoobies is going around old cemetries, much to learn of the past. In most Oz ones you will find the usual migrant hoards, Irish, scottish, Englis etc. Very raely do you find any from Wales, maybe they did not travel so far? But then one day found one cemetary with about twenty graves of Welsh miners who had come to search for gold in the 1860's. It seemed odd to find so many in one spot, and it appeared thay all came from the same region in Wales.:
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi jonh, there must have been a few about. somebody named one of your states . new south wales. also here in nz ,milford sound was named milford haven,and there are a lot of welsh named places in that area. milford sound was a hunting ground for the fur seal hunter and whalers as for the graves.it could have been . somebody brought them over as they were known for thier mining qualities.or they were brought over by the goverment, on that free passage scheme, ie convicts best wishes geoff. the free

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Rape Of The Fair Country

RAPE OF THE FAIR COUNTRY: By Alexander Cordell. Although historical fiction sums up life of an oppressed nation, ficticious charecters but historical fact, nearly. The title alone sums up the past of Wales and the Welsh and although originally a trilogy, I must have read 12 rmore books in the trilogy.

Welsh history is not disimilar to that of the Irish and when starving under the then English rule many were transported for the crime of not dying of the hunger or stealing a loaf of bread. Must have been the "BREAD OF HEAVEN" to be sent to Oz etc for such a crime.

The march at Newport, from the valleys and down Stow Hill is not widely known of or recorded or promoted. It failed but was so close to bringing down the Government at the time that it remains not well known for some reason.

We live in different times: but should not forget our past. Maritime wise, in one book by Cordell, he mentions the "Chain Locker" at the Barry Dock Hotel The Chain Locker was famous if not infamous with Merchant Seamen World Wide. Gone now, as is much. But, it's memory should live on. The Chain Locker was mentioned in his book "Rogues March"

Taffy was a Welshman,
    Taffy was a thief.
    Taffy came to our house
    and stole a leg of Beef.

Obviously an English Home ?

WE STILL SWEAR ALLEGIANCE TO HER MADGE, THE OLD BAKED BEAN.............

Our fight is seen now on the rugby field,,,, GRAND SLAM AND ALL THAT, besides we are not to good at footie.... No malice meant or intended, Allways a welcome in the hillsides.

Some say " YOU NEED TO LEARN FROM YOUR HISTORY, TO SECURE YOUR FUTURE. Am certain that our Government knows fully, maybe not in peacetime, but in all conflicts: ALL WOULD BE LOST, Without our brave Merchant Seamen no matter which nationality. NOS DA.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 23rd August 2008 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi all . if my memory serves me right,the town of barry. lost during ww11 more seamen per capita ,than any british port. i also sailed with a few barry boys. good men all .one was a george ?????. ab . he was sunk 3 times, the last time he came home. wearing old RN clothes. that had been given to him by the crew of the RN ship that had picked the surviors up. on returning to barry, he was unable to get new clothes,because of rationing. the worst part as ,he told us was getting precented with a WHITE FEATHER, by some american woman, because he wasnt in uniform. his wife sorted out that problem!.

LEST WE FORGET.

best wishes geoff

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Gang. Taffy was a Welshman refers to the Marches Boarders when the Welsh use to raid across the boarder during the time of Edward. The Welsh you either love or hate, but you can't ignore them. Me! I was fortunate that I married Welsh (tho my maternal Grandmother was from Snowdon.) W.R. and I have had 48 yrs so far and IT's been a ding don battle ever since but never dull. As I tell her she couldn't find a Welshman good enough, and as SHE replies no sensible English,Irish or Scots girl would have me. We've just come back from Florida with the grandchildren and daughter plus son in law and in noise outdone tropical storm Fay. Makes for a lovely mixture, best looking grandchildren in the world and most sensible.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast