Thread: Poem of Ships

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Poem of Ships

I hope this will open large enough to read as i feel its a good one !
    Lets see!
    Cheers

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Thanks j.sabourn, cappy, Bill Morrison thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, cappy, John Arton, Tony Martin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Poem of Ships

Or there is the other alternative most verses I have forgotten

over time ...
    We were leaving Rangoon by the light of the moon,
    Sailing by night and by day,
    And while we’re in motion , we’re the pride of the Ocean.
    You cants see our ass#### for spray,
    Sail along Exmoor sail on ,
    Captain Roberts looks on her with pride ,
    He would have a blue fit if he saw someone spit ( for want of a better word)
    On the Side of the Exmoors port side.
    Goes on verse after verse and finishes up....
    This is my story , this is my song , we’ve been on this ship too flaming long.
    So sail on the Glenmoor , the Kirrie the Link this 3 legged Doxfords beginning
    To stink .
    Author doesn’t want to be known
    Then somewhere toward the end the engineers had to have their bit in

Down the gangway we will go ,
    Engineers in a row ,
    Bye Bye Exmoor Bye Bye .
    JS
    Anyone with a spare blackbird in hand could then let it go to give the scene more ethnicity or if don’t have a black cockatoo would do JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th July 2023 at 03:50 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Poem of Ships

You mention captain roberts in your poem john ......just an add on .....but on my trip on the cragmoor which old roberts was the old man .......i was sent by the cook and others to run up the quay in port adelaide to get to buckets of beer before the pub at the top of the jetty closed this during the 5 oclock swill law ......i was given many types of different money ....ie dollars franks and sterling etc ......and a boot up my ass not to spill any ......the bar was i think called the alkali......that in 1957........the buckets were truly filled and the barman had a smile so presumably a good deal for him.......rolling gently down the quay .i did stop and have a gargle......as i got near the gangway a huge roar rang out and looking to the wing of the bridge was my nemesis.......captain roberts who bellowed what the xxxx are you doing i will have no beer in my buckets on my ship ......by then my legs were feeling weak as i had managed to dodge him for the ist six months after seeing him call a AB a liar and a drunk and chucking his discharge book at him in the shipping office at the mill dam in south shields while signing 2 year articles for the voyage......any way roberts bellowed who sent you for that beer ......i replied i dont know captain ........dont know......dont know .....are you a fool altogether .....etc etc.......through it in the water now you fool......whereupon i threw the buckets and contents int the water....his voice grew louder not the buckets you bloody idiot......you will pay for them ...by now a good few of the crowd were listening .......someone shouted leave the boy alone you old count........roberts replied who said that who said that.....during the conversation i shot up the gangway and managed to keep out of his view for a further 3 or so months.....having said that i paid off with some 60 pounds in white fivers .....i was a wealthy young man who had travelled the world had a fine suntan and a sailors walk ......why i wouldnt call the king my uncle lol R683532 CAPPY FROM SHIELDS