if i get hold of drewey
    i will murder the swine

cappy 683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: ref to shields pool

Hi cappey had the same s/shields pool join a Brocklebank ship in the States then bring her back to the Tyne for dry dock I was the chippy 4 months later arrived at smiths dock

3. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by anthony hines View Post
    hi cappey had the same s/shields pool join a brocklebank ship in the states then bring her back to the tyne for dry dock i was the chippy 4 months later arrived at smiths dock
    hi anthony ...smiths as you will probably know was always stuffed with bp tankers .....like little flowers all in a row
    best wishes r683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Waiting at their berths for for a shanghaied Welsh crew .
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just as a matter of interest Anthony...did you have family in the 50s in london the name of Hines.......as on the day after i skinned out in wallaroo .....i was trying to lie low .....there was many old and young got out the old banger.....we new who was going .....a deck boy ......a jos ....a steward ....myself ....and at least three or four deck crowd .....the problem was the land was very flat .....the local copper new after years of experience which way jumpers would go ...sadly a mile or so outside of wallaroo was and old barn with a false roof.....in the dark i spotted it and headed into it ...i had set off on my own.....after a few minutes i heard a rustling noise ....bleedin rats i thought....the some whispering ....i called out who the feck is that ....and david hines a cockney JOS i think he was popped his head up ......a local group of motor cycle guys came across the field and shouted they are on the hunt for you lot ......one i recall his name was cumber .....shouted thy always catch you lot there ..of we all set running diferent ways lol.like bloody rabbits .....slowly we got lifted over a few days ...the local coppers wife did us justice with big breakfasts and dinners any way we went to court on different days ....i didnt see any of them till after we got out the adelaide prisonwe were looking for somewhere to doss ...... we all went up the Murray river on the grape picking.....big money therebut hot hard work......dont know what the others got in there books but that ist trip old man put DESERTED in mine ....like iwas a french foriegn legionaire ....often thought afterwards ...but that was his problem i bet he got aright crowd from god knows where to make up the absconders R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That story Cappy reminded me when i was in Walleroo, would have been December i think, 1962, most of us got tangled up with local girls, and although we did not lose any skinning out, after the 6oclock swill, we would sing a daft song, "Walleroo walleroo, thats where i nearly shot through ", and the rest i do not remember, all daft in those days of course. As i recall we were there some time loading the grain, and all used to bevvy in one of the local hotels, but it was only a small town then. No idea what its like now.
    R689823

8. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy as 3 and 2 mate in Runcimans it was usually my job before leaving the Australian coast was to go to the Custom House to see who they had ready for deportation and pick out who was necessary to make up the manning scale . As you say in a previous post more than likely if you had been over 18 and kept your nose clean you would have been allowed to stay. When I emigrated out here late in life at 53 years of age I was working offshore within 8 weeks . I expected to hear a lot of Ozzie voices on the VHF radios . It was like being back in the North Sea the accents were Scouse, Welsh, Scots , Geordies ( must have been fumigated first ) most would of have jumped ship in the 50s and 60s . One of the skippers I relieved was Norwegian and was an ex ships carpenter who had jumped ship in Darwin 50 years previous, the first one I relieved was Danish and had been master of a cattle ship working out of Fremantle , however he was a bit bitter as he had to wait 3 years to get into the Union , whereas I put a bold face on it and told them they could not refuse me entry into the union and would take them to court. If you weren’t in the union you didn’t work on Australian Shipping. However the conditions both wage and comfort kind were of the best. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well there would b e some flotsam and jetsum floating about in them days john ...down to the penfolds and the weather.....plus them suntanned oz beuties ....jeez it was like valhalla after the cold northern climes ....getting it all of me chest lately ......the misdeamenours of youth ....and sowing yer oats .....couldnt have found a better playground .......P S.....Ihave sent a barrel of single malt for xmas ...but them buggers in felixtow have gone on strike ....they were on the tele last night doing the macarena and singing sweet caroline....i fear them dockies have broached the cargo ....jeez when i look back and see them standing outside the dock gates years ago desperate for work ...i wonder what its all about ....they sit in heated boxes and play with levers .....a dose of unloading them baltic boats of pit props in mid winter with a northeaster blowing might send them to think again jeez im turning into a right old moaner....the barrel of single malt you are most welcome to as an old friend ......please send check for insurance only 700 english pounds ......not like the money yiou sent in ruppees and anas when i sent you the model of the ANGEL OF THE NORTH yours honestly cappy R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hope you haven’t doctored this lot with the Benzedrine this time, mind if the dockers get into it might get some work out of them. Havent slept since last lot, wasn’t even good tea and had the drink tested , cold tea and benzi
    Green tea thought only women drank that. The rupees are good money Sahib the Tindle only made them last year.
    Cheque on its way being as it is only really 25 cents it will be in an Australia postage stamp used of course to absolve me from paying duty on . Are you Santa Claus this year again or are you refusing if the weather is too hot to wear the beard ? Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Cappy.
    Your in good company, my brother had deserted put in his book when he jumped in NZ in 47.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

13. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast