Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: my river tyne

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    Trevor
    Think your grandparents lived in ouseburn from your description'
    Rgds
    J.A.
    John, you are correct. The Maynards Toffee factory was in that area and although closed down as a sweet factory in the possibly the fifties, the building is still there and is still in use but not for sweet making, the area is being gradually redeveloped and there are now trendy restaurants and hotels along with a few good real ale pubs.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was a Maynard’s sweet shop in Whitley Bay on the corner of Whitley road opposite the Trustees Savings bank my auntie used to work there .She was married to my Uncle who was lost in Singapore and confirmed dead about 1947 .Think the sweet shop closed about 1950 , and she remarried and disappeared to start a new life. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    There was a Maynard’s sweet shop in Whitley Bay on the corner of Whitley road opposite the Trustees Savings bank my auntie used to work there .She was married to my Uncle who was lost in Singapore and confirmed dead about 1947 .Think the sweet shop closed about 1950 , and she remarried and disappeared to start a new life. JS
    shades of treasure island john ....where long john silver persitently called jim maynard ......main yard ......or as robert newton called him maiiin yaaaaard....ie get me an apple from the apple barrel jim......youll have to bend over ....as they be all at the bottom.....shiver me timbers.....pass me the rum.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As long as you’ll give me a toffee How about if I give you 5 rupees which some seaman tried to put out in that bar you frequented in Kobe as 500 yen, that should well cover this old 3 and 9d that fell out of the hole in your pocket and keep up trying to recover. ? Anyhow I heard Malcom found it and never told you. You wouldn’t dance with him that night . All You wanted to do was nurse a bottle of Suntorys and your toe of course after falling through the door. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Maynards had about 35 shops around the north east

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    shades of treasure island john ....where long john silver persitently called jim maynard ......main yard ......or as robert newton called him maiiin yaaaaard....ie get me an apple from the apple barrel jim......youll have to bend over ....as they be all at the bottom.....shiver me timbers.....pass me the rum.......
    sounds like you already finished the bottle Cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re post 24, From J.A. Ouseburn rings a bell in my memory.
    My mother married dad in late 40's and was in Kent from then on.

8. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3