So you see what freedom cost.

So long ago and far away,
    A ship came to her end.
    Wiith a gallant cew, few ever knew,
    And Mafanwy, man's best friend.

Ian A. Millar

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Mafanwy

Enjoy all your work and this will bring many a memory to many.

Not a criticism but note the title as MAFANWY, then Myfanwy in a few mentions and back
    to Mafanwy at the end, many may not have noticed but, would stick out to most Welsh.

Myfanwy" - Welsh Song: Added for info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj3D1wQb0cA

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

The Myfanwy lyrics tell the tragic story of the unfulfilled love of a poor young poet for a beautiful young noblewoman who lived in Dinas Bran castle. I can imagine over the years many have owned a dog called Myfanwy, there were boats named after her. A poem Myfanwy: by Joseph Parry arguably Wales' greatest composer, has US links, Joseph Parry was born on 21 May 1854. He loved music from an early age, but the family - seven children in all - was often in financially difficult situations. As a result, Joseph went to work in the Cyfarthfa Mills at the age of 9. In 1854, when Joseph Parry was 13 years old, his father decided to move to America and settled in Danville in Pennsylvania;

MYFANWY - WORDS, LYRICS AND MEANING IN ENGLISH.

Many believe that the haunting tune of Myfanwy is possibly one of the greatest tunes ever written. The Myfanwy lyrics tell the tragic story of the unfulfilled love of a poor young poet for a beautiful young noblewoman who lived in Dinas Bran castle. The remains of Castell Dinas Bran stand above the Welsh town of Llangollen and is the scene setting for the sad love story of Myfanwy. Myfanwy was the daughter of the Norman Earl of Arundel and was, according to sources at that time, the most beautiful woman in Powys.

Myfanwy, the melody, was written and composed by Joseph Parry (1841 – 1903), with the lyrics written by Richard Davies (1833 – 1877) - it was first published in 1875. Maybe there was a real Myfanwy in Parry's life, a girl by the name of Myfanwy Llwyellyn. Like Parry himself, she too emigrated to America. According to the legend, they met some 30 years later but for whatever reason, Myfanwy Llwyellyn snubbed the Welsh composer and he then composed wrote his famous tune full of unfulfilled love.

Whatever the legend, the story or the history of the song, Myfanwy remains one of Wales’ most famous songs and even today the song Myfanwy features in the repertoire of many Welsh male voice choirs.

JOSEPH PARRY – 1854 TO 1903, COMPOSER OF MYFANWY.

Joseph Parry arguably Wales' greatest composer, is a famous son of Chapel Row, Cyfarthfa, Merthyr Tydfil. He composed over 400 Hymn tunes, three hundred songs, and 300 anthems, chorales and other orchestral pieces. Yet this talented man was born into poverty and spent several of his early years working in coal mines and iron works.

Joseph Parry was born on 21 May 1854. He loved music from an early age, but the family - seven children in all - was often in financially difficult situations. As a result, Joseph went to work in the Cyfarthfa Mills at the age of 9. In 1854, when Joseph Parry was 13 years old, his father decided to move to America and settled in Danville in Pennsylvania; this story is told by Jack Jones in the novel Off to Philadelphia in the morning.

After some time in America, Parry returned to Britain to concentrate on his musical career and he attended the Royal Academy of Music. He won major prizes at the National Eisteddfodau in Swansea and Llandudno and was admitted to the Gorsedd with the bardic name of Pencerdd America. In 1873 he became Professor of Music at the University College, Aberystwyth and remained there until 1880. In 1888 Parry settled in the small seaside town of Penarth, and died there on 17th February 1903.

Penarth is now my town of abode, if I get a dog, think she will be named Myfanwy or Rhiannon.

The name Myfanwy is a girl's name of Welsh origin meaning "my lovely little one"/ Beloved.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 16th August 2020 at 01:29 AM.

5. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Penarth is now my town of abode, if I get a dog, think she will be named Myfanwy or Rhiannon.

Been told to add Bronwyn lest I get in trouble.

Sorry Bron.

K.

7. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Keith, and indeed I am kicking myself for going adrift with Mafanwy/Myfanwy and my Welsh speaking friends will no doubt notice it. May late aunt was Myfanwy and I suspect that is how the spelling changed from the title. I knew the story and I love the song. My late Grandfather Millar was an opera singer a Basso Cantante and he would sing Mafanwy and the Welsh National Anthum in Welsh of course. At any rate I do thank you for the observation.

9. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

If you ever come this way, can arrange a welcome in the Hill sides and the Vales.
    couple of harpist's a choir and the ales. Touch wood, one day we meet in Wales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3yRJBf8J70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXY9M4Yanh4

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 16th August 2020 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm afraid my traveling days are behind me now but 20 years ago I would have been along. Diane and I passed through Wales on our honeymoon back in 75 while traveling from Holyhead to Dublin. Did not get to see much from the train but we certainly got around with our Brit Rail passes. I see that you are not far from Cardiff and if memory serves me right my father sailed there a time or two in his career.

12. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

All the best for now.

Keith.