Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: One Hell Of A Pub Crawl!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: One Hell Of A Pub Crawl!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Even in our heyday guys we would have struggled on today's beer prices, down here a pint of beer adver ages £3.50, now even on our moderate intake in those days, say ten pints, £35 a session, and that's moderate, so normal people do not go in pubs to drink these days, they can only survive on food sales. I know in some parts beer is cheaper than the prices I have stated, but pubs have completely changed, not seen a dartboard or cribbage, dominoes etc for years, all bloody plastic tables and napkins. Got a tear in my eye as I type, kt
    #####jeeez kt 10 pints a session cant manage 4.......just drink little sols and at 8 of them ihave had enough......if the average wage for a working man is say 400 and a pint is 3.50 approx 114pints .......in the fifties early sixties say an ABs wage was 11 quid per week forgetting his free board and keep... the average price a pint was just over a shilling then...11 times 20 shillings equals 220 pints ......if these figures are any where near correct the we now pay double for our beer in a bar ....but the supermarket is a different matter......there is a very famous fish restarant in our village the prices are to match.......the cheapest bottle of wine is 27 quid .......i will not drink anything if i go apart from one pint of lager .....4 pound something ....its a bloody disgrace ....but we once had barmaids duing a job they liked for pin money and the social side ...but in steps the government wth a minimum wage or living wage and whoops it gives the breweries carte blanche to shaft every body .......but the proof of the pudding is the pubs are finished......the breweries are giving them away......and nobody wants them ...sad but true cappy

2. Thanks j.sabourn, Dennis McGuckin thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 1973 we built our own bars on the Beechwood one of Jacobs ore carriers, Tennants put the bars in for us and all the optics, we put all the gawdy lights in hoping to catch the passing Trade which we did very well at general terminus up the Clyde opposite Bettys bar, which had trouble at times if there were wives on board and had to keep them away from the gangway. We charged 2 shillings (10p) for a pint of Tennants keg lager and were still making a profit and so was Tennants. Can anyone today imagine in their brightest dreams of such happening today. They caused very little trouble and in port kept most people on board and out of trouble ashore. They only caused trouble by a very few, who would have caused trouble if the bars were there or not. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 15th August 2016 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy, the ten pint quote, was from our youth, I would do ten lunchtime, and another ten at night, now I fall ar... Over head if I have two wine gums, kt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Cappy, the ten pint quote, was from our youth, I would do ten lunchtime, and another ten at night, now I fall ar... Over head if I have two wine gums, kt
    its the AA for you on 2 wine gums bonny lad ......but it is true the price of it is ridiculous.....regards cappy......ps JWS is a plonky he even carries 2 tubes of wine gums secreted away from gwen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remember working by and going ashore with the lads.
    We would drink a pint every 15 minutes.
    We were first in and last out [I think]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep Lads those were the days we could handle the Grog,and well too!
    Like many I too used to scull at an average of about 10 to 15 Beers at a go when in the Pub with mates and was good to go again and again the next few days till sailing time ! Woweeeee! LOL

I loved the old Black and Tan a lot ,and of course the good Bitter!

Remembering the after the Pub Drinks like a Bottle of Brandy too! Gosh we were some Guys them days!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the Good Old Days I was known as "Alehouse" and on the Ozzy coast , "The Penfold Kid".
    don't sup a lot these days, Half a bottle of wine at week end with dinner and an occasional tot of Rum. about once a week,
    Not been in a pub for a couple of years now.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wine! Capt!
    This brings back the FFL memories where at each Meal we would be able to help ourselves to Vin Rouge (Red Wine) from the old Wooden Barrels in the Mess.
    We each had a great big Mug and the Wine I must say was lovely! I liked the Breakfast LOL wake up to a Tin of Vin Rouge how lovely!

One had to be careful though as even though the Wine was free running there would be severe punishment for anyone who was found Drunk in the Barracks!

The Wine was I believe made in a special Vineyard run by the FFL in Puyloubier and named "Institution des invalids de la Legion Entrange"

I sometimes wish that I had stayed there as after you retire they really look after you in a lovely place called the Veterans Residence !
    Bit that's life isn't it!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

10. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On comparison wages in Uk are lower than here in Oz and our penalty rates for weekend and after hours are the highest in the world.

Yet we can get a pint for $7 compared with your price that is very cheap. Wine in most restaurants will start at around $20 a bottle but can go to any price after that. Spirits with a mixer around the $8 mark.

But slab of 30 cans I can get for as little as $38 on special.

Any none for a beer lads?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Likes Doc Vernon, j.sabourn, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And 30 cans will usually go at the average barby in an hour, so please bring your own. JWS

14. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast