Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The would be National Anthem of Australia

gray_marian Guest

Default Re: The would be National Anthem of Australia

"Rebellious Scots to crush." .. I never sing the last verse!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###dont think anyone sings the last verse marion ....but i would take a bet that more nations worldwide no the ist verse of god save the queen than any other anthem.... but it matters not it is my anthem and second to none to me....god save the queen ...regards cappy

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gray_marian View Post
    "Rebellious Scots to crush." .. I never sing the last verse!

[Although in the original lyrics, verses 4-6 are now omitted entirely – partly to reduce the length of the anthem and partly due to the ‘rebellious Scots to crush’ line in verse six:]

It's flower of Scotland over God Save the Queen | UK | News | Daily Express

gray_marian Guest

#13, Moot point Keith, the "Poll" is 4 years old and does not state how many people were actually asked!!! It was published Sep 11, 2011. Referendum result tells me more. Thank you anyway

5. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    ###dont think anyone sings the last verse marion ....but i would take a bet that more nations worldwide no the ist verse of god save the queen than any other anthem.... but it matters not it is my anthem and second to none to me....god save the queen ...regards cappy
    Sign of the the Times.
    As a Member of the Vindicatrix .S.E. Qld. M.Mariners Assc. ?
    On Sept.3rd .this year.Attended the Memorial Service,at the Twin Towns R.S.L.
    My first disappointment,being when the Padre,left his Podium, and theatrically embraced the Oz . Flag.Declaring "It is now ,One hundred and thirteen years old." No sign of Our Red Duster ,anywhere,'cept on the Lapels of the few of us who'd qualified for the Active Service Badge. Getting more and more bored by the succession of speakers. Looked at the Agenda,noted the end was quite near.Was to end with .The Anthem, I.E." Australians .All Let us rejoice . Walked out..
    The Queen ,is never played now at any Anzac day ,Services ,I can recall, for many years.
    This Year Stayed in Bed and watched the Service from Sydney .
    Highly gratified. Conducted by Sydney R.S.L. It opened with A statement , from the Presenter ,prior to the "The Queen " being Played and Sung.
    That ,He'd found a Loophole,that enabled them to Play it on certain occasions.Not Only that,at the end of the ceremony. They Marched off ,with A Pipe Band,Playing "Scotland the Brave".
    As opposed to the Twin Towns, supposed Re-enactment ,of the Gallipoli Landings.
    No British there at all ,involved.?
    I've changed my Country of residence. But not my Birthright.

Still A Pommy B. be it a Welsh one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re Post numbers 9 and 10.
    Re the 6th verse of the National Anthem.
    Wade was born in Ireland to English settlers. In 1724 he was appointed Commander-in-Chief of North Britain and sent to the Highlands. During eleven years he spent there, he supervised the building of roads and bridges. His most spectactular feat of construction was the Corrieyairack Pass which was completed in 1731. Ironically, the Jacobites found these roads to be very convenient.
    In 1745, Bonnie Prince Charlie's army used the Corrieyairack Pass on its way south. When Wade returned to England from Flanders where he wasn't successful, the Hanoverian King George II made him Commander-inChief of England and it was in this role that he had to deal with the Jacobite "Forty Five" rebellion. After failing to anticipate Charles Edward Stewart's invading army arriving via Carlise rather than via Newcastl, he retired in favour of Cumberland.
    Marshall Wade it appears was better at road and bridge building than crushing Rebellious Scots.

FOURO.

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    gray_marian Guest

#16, Oh Fouro, The Duke of Cumberland, him I do find contentious

10. Likes Evan Lewis, Fouro liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How the Sailor rode the Brumby...
    There was an agile sailor lad, who longed to know the bush, So with swag and Billycan, He said he"d make a push, He left his ship in Moreton Bay and faced the western sun, and asked his way ten times a day, and steered for Bandys Run.
    Said Bandy, you can start my son, if you can ride a horse, for stockmen on the cattle run, were wanted there of course. Now Jack had strode the crossbars oft of many a bouncing sea, So reckoned he"d be safe enough, on any moke you see.
    They caught him one and saddled it, and led it from the yard, It champed a bit and sidled round and at the sailor sparred. Jack towed her to him with a grin. He eyed her fore and aft; Then thrust his foot the gangway in and swung aboard the craft.
    The watchers tumbled off the rail, the boss lay down and roared, while Jack held tight by mane and tail, and rocked about on board. But still he clung as monkeys cling. To rudder, line and flap, although at every bound and spring they thought his neck must snap.
    They stared to see him stick aloft, the brum bucked fierce and free, but he had strode the cross-bars oft on many a rolling sea. The saddle from the rolling back went spinning in mid air, whilst two big boots were flung off Jack and four shoes off the mare.
    The bridle broke and left her free, he grasped her round the neck; We"re in the breakers now cried he. theres bound to be a wreck, the brumby struck and snorted loud, she reared and pawed the air, it was the grandest sight the crowd had ever witnessed there.
    For Jack with arms and legs held tight, the Brumbys neck hung round and yelled a pilot, quick as light, or strike me I'm aground. The whites and blacks climbed on the rails, the Boss stood smiling by. As Jack exclaimed Away the sails, the brum began to fly.
    She bounded first against the gate, And Jack cried out Astern, Then struck a whirlpool-at any rate that was the sailors yarn. The brumby spun him round and round, she reared and kicked and struck, and with alternate bump and bound in earnest began to buck.
    A tree loomed on the starboard bow, And port your helm cried he, she fouled a bush and he roared you scow, and keep to the open sea. From ear to tail he rode her hard, from tail to ear again, One mile beyond the cattle yard and back across the plain.
    Now high upon the pommel bumped, now clinging on the side, and on behind the saddle lumped with arms and legs flung wide. They only laughed the louder then, when the mare began to back, until she struck the fence at last, then sat and looked at Jack.
    He gasped, I'm safe in port at last, I'll quit your bounding mane. Dropped off and sang, all dangers passed and Jacks come home again. Old Jack has been a stockman now on Bandys farm for years, yet memories of that mornings fun, to many still bring tears..... JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 30th September 2015 at 01:44 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

t last then I got what so long I'd looked for , and I never will play the wild rover no more, I'll go home to my parents , confess what I've done, and I'll ask them to pardon their prodigal son, And if they will do so, as often before, then I will play the wild rover no more.............JS First parts got lost in the astral plains JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 30th September 2015 at 04:17 AM.

13. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post 19 which was guillotined.......Well I've been a wild rover this many a year, and I've spent all my money on whisky and beer, but now I'm returning with gold in great store, and I will never play the wild rover no more.
    Chorus.....And its no nay never, never no more, will I play the wild rover , nay never no more.
    I went to a shanty I used to frequent , and I told the landlady my money was spent, I asked her for credit, she answered me nay, such custom as yours I can get any day. Then I pulled from my pocket ten sovereigns bright, and the land ladys eyes opened wide with delight. Said she We have whisky and wines of the best and the words that I told you were only in jest.
    There was Margaret and Kitty and Betsy and Sue, and two or three more who belonged to our crew. we"d sit up all night and make the place roar, I"ve been a wild boy , but I'll be so no more. And then as a prisoner to Cockatoo I was sent, on a bed of cold straw for to lie and lament. At last then I got what so long I"d looked for and I never will play the wild rover no more. I'll go home to my parents , confess what I've done, and I'll ask them to pardon their prodigal son, and if they will do so, as often before. Then I will never play the wild rover no more..... The memorys of such sing songs in such taverns is coming back and havent been taking any tablets either. Cheers JS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast