Thread: One million ton tanker

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: One million ton tanker

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Sunprincess ?? JS
    ###jeez captain sabourn ....i will say one thing .......your agood trier .......i am sending you a bleedin case .....the name is mary send that back to me and i will send another case ........wait belay that order somehow you have all the beer .....ah the difference between the galley boy and the ships master.......but i am still learning..but how did you get the beer aha a cunning captain ....must have learned his trade in runcimans .....come to think of it no beer there iether ..regards a sober cappy waiting for his tribe to arrive for sunday lunch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah that Mary, Mary had a little lamb she also had a bear, I've often seen her little lamb but never seen her bare. Maybe it was her inside St. Geordies armour. Cant send back the beer already drunk. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Ah that Mary, Mary had a little lamb she also had a bear, I've often seen her little lamb but never seen her bare. Maybe it was her inside St. Geordies armour. Cant send back the beer already drunk. Cheers JS
    #####suns out......just put covers on loungers and chairs ......on second sol ........big lump of pork in the oven .......why yer bugger man we could ask for mair.......a happy cappy .......and god bless the merchant seaman

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And St. George Osborne of Port Said. JS

5. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pardon me for interrupting. I remember Smith's and the Dunn Cow. I'm not familiar with the Tyne, so whether it was North Shields, South Shields, Bent Shields, Wallsend or Fencesend I couldn't actually give a s**t. I remember coming alongside a Shell tanker in Helsingborg. Somebody shouted from the Shell tanker
    "Got any Geordies aboard?"
    "Nah, we've jist been fumigated."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Braid Anderson View Post
    Pardon me for interrupting. I remember Smith's and the Dunn Cow. I'm not familiar with the Tyne, so whether it was North Shields, South Shields, Bent Shields, Wallsend or Fencesend I couldn't actually give a s**t. I remember coming alongside a Shell tanker in Helsingborg. Somebody shouted from the Shell tanker
    "Got any Geordies aboard?"
    "Nah, we've jist been fumigated."
    #####there was plenty done cows around whitley bay ......brian knws all about that......and as the song ses ...wherever you gan ...your sure to find a geordie wherever yu gan a geordie will be there from landsend up to john ogroats .....from liverpool to cullercoats ...wherever ya gan a geordie will be there regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whitley Bay should have a Health and Safety notice on it. I very nearly died there.
    The most Dangerous place I was ever in in my whole life. The women are man killers, predators. never so close to death. glad to get away after a month of debauchery.
    Brian

9. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From my book 'Flag McAndrew' (different paypacket)

The Dun Cow was a typical boisterous Tyneside pub not far from the shipyard gates at Wallsend. There seemed to be railway lines here there and everywhere. Smoke from them and the forest of factory chimneys mingled with the snow, which was heavy now that the wind had died. The atmosphere inside the pub was a fug of smoke and steam much the same as outside, but much warmer. A roaring fire cheered the place up from behind its strong fire guard in one wall. The noise and jostling were new to Inglis, coming as he did from one of the quieter byways of semi rural Scotland, but he soon adjusted, and even began to enjoy it.

This was where the Industrial Revolution had really got a grip, and the railways had earned their keep very early in their history. The home of the original militant railway workers, with Railway Institute and Mechanics Institute which were the envy of all others at the end of the previous century. Thousands of steel machines had been put together in this part of England, from ships to railway locomotives. Bridges and towers had been fabricated here for erection in the area and far beyond. Tanks and guns had gone to battle in their thousands from Tyneside. And most of the men who made them met in pubs like this at the end of the working day. While the Moneylenders grew fat in their clubs in London.

They pushed their way to the bar and ordered drinks. Inglis had no trouble getting a lager - he didn't trust English beer - since he looked more like twenty than seventeen. But poor wee Jimmy, who looked even younger than he was, had to settle for a soft drink. It was hard to believe there was actually less than a year between them in age.

The Second Mate found half a table, and they settled back to enjoy the bustle. Conversation was not too easy above the din, so they finished the first couple of drinks without much talk. The crowd thinned out around 8 o'clock as men became hungry for their dinners. A piano struck up near the fire, and soon everyone was singing the old favorites.

Two girls sat down at their table, chattering away as if determined to use up every word at their command as quickly as possible. They had no drinks, and after a few minutes one of them looked straight at Inglis and asked
    "Well, aren't you going to buy a lady a drink then?"

For a moment he didn't know what to do or say. He'd never been in this situation before. The Second Mate was looking at him with a grin on his face. Inglis raised his eyebrows at him, but he refused to be drawn.
    "Well then, cat got your tongue?" asked the girl.
    "Yes, I mean no, sure. What would you like?"
    "Double gin and tonic, and a double scotch for Doreen. I'm Mary, what's your name?"

Inglis gave his name, and introduced Jimmy and the Second - whose grin now threatened to split his face. The girls' drinks cost an arm and a leg, and Inglis returned to the table shell-shocked, walking wounded. Christ, what was he doing? They looked like nice girls, but he couldn't afford many more of what they were drinking. And he was due back on board the ship in a couple of hours. Maybe he could chat one of them up and meet her somewhere tomorrow afternoon - he was free then until Sunday night.

The girls flirted and chatted, with Mary concentrating on Inglis, and Doreen sounding out the Second Mate. He didn't seem to be too interested, so she started competing with Mary for Inglis' charms. Jimmy got an occasional smile, but he seemed to have gone into his shell.

When the glasses were empty Inglis looked hopefully at the Second Mate. He grinned again and shook his head slightly. It looked as if Inglis was left carrying the can, and the whole field was open to him. He decided he would buy one more round, but that would be it. His wallet looked pathetic after he shelled out for the drinks. This had best lead to something.

The girls now concentrated all their attention and charms on Inglis. He felt flattered, and soon the money didn't seem so important after all. Mary really was quite nice, and he couldn't understand why the Second wasn't interested in Doreen. The next round took most of his remaining money; but it would be closing time in half an hour anyway, so what the hell - in for a penny in for a pound - or two, or three.

Inglis was trying hard to sound out Mary on the chances of a date tomorrow. But every time he got to the point, the conversation switched to something else - and he was becoming extremely frustrated. Surely she would enjoy dating a good looking bloke like him - with an officer's uniform thrown in for free.

Ten minutes before closing time the boyfriends showed up. For a few minutes Inglis didn't realize what was happening. Two men in their twenties came to the table, and were greeted cordially by the girls - who picked up their handbags, and rose from their chairs. Mary gave Inglis a charming smile.
    "Well, thanks for the drinks Inglis. See you later."

He was dumbstruck. Christ, he had spent nearly all the money in his wallet on them, and now they were leaving.
    "Hey, wait a minute. What's wrong? What's happening? I wanted to ask you something."
    One of the blokes looked at him hard and asked
    "Yeah, what's the problem sailor boy - wha'd'ya wanna ask?"
    Inglis pushed his chair back, but the Second Mate grabbed his arm and held on tight, forcing him down again.

"No problem" said the Second Mate. "Nice meeting you girls I'm sure. Have a good night. Inglis is just a bit under the weather."
    The four of them turned and left the pub. Inglis was spitting with anger, and shouted at the Second Mate. "What d'you do that for? You're not my bloody mother!"

The Second Mate still had his hand on Inglis' arm. Now he squeezed hard and glared.
    "Sit down and shut up! Who the hell d'you think you're talking to? You were stupid and you got taken for a ride. Why the hell d'you think I didn't buy a round? They picked you as an easy mark, with your swollen head, and your nice new uniform. Wake up son. You're not the answer to every maiden's prayer - not that they were maidens anyway. And the boyfriends would have eaten you for supper if you'd started a fight over it."

If he'd wanted to deflate Inglis' ego, he'd done a pretty good job. Now Inglis started to feel foolish. The anger subsided, and was replaced by embarrassed humiliation.
    "Sorry, Second," he muttered. "Any chance of a last beer?"
    "That's better" he said. "I'll get it. And while I'm doing that, you might now ponder why you're not allowed out in the big bad world on your own, eh?"

11. Thanks cappy, Captain Kong, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think thats the Dun Cow near the Wallsend slipway, not far from the First Tyne Tunnel which was pedestrian or bicycles, so cappy was alright on his scooter. As regards the women, used to come from all over the UK when the whale Factory ships used to get into Middle Dock in South Shields. Southern Harvester and Southern Venturer was a post on them not so long back. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 26th April 2015 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think you will find Cappy was seeing Annabelle at the same time he was seeing Mary with the leg and story is Mary gave him a whack over the head with
    it. I jus hope the woodworm did not all on his head.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2