Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Far East Odyssey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Far East Odyssey

pity bill Davies is no longer posting on the site I know he had a bad fall a few months ago he could give a full history?jp

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Very much appreciated. K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian, of all the great Liverpool shipping companies. ED's Blue Funnel, CPR, Palm Line, Booths et all only one of them survived and that is Bibbys. Still shipowners but they had the foresight to diverse. Their empire today stretches from Bulk Carriers to owning 2000 Costcutter Convenience stores.In between there is Bibby Haulage and Bibby Finance, North Sea platforms and North Sea supply vessels. Unfortuantly their ships are no longer British crewed. In my opinion out of all the Companys that sailed out of Liverpool in the late 50's and 60's Bibbys were way ahead of anybody else and without doubt one of the finest to sail with.
    Regards
    John

4. Thanks Captain Kong, Trader thanked for this post
    Likes Trader liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that Dugie it is exactly the first trip to sea that I did on the "Bellerophon" as peggy (deck boy) in 1952. I went on to do five more similar trips ending up as SOS. Two years in the one ship. I then joined the "Astyanax" as EDH and did two more similar trips to the Far East. I thought I would have a change and coasted a couple more Blueys the "Ixion" and "Nestor" and then got a job on the "Neleus" on the Aussie run. I did a couple of trips there and thought I would have a change from Blue Funnel and joined Manchester Liners. What a difference in companies, Manchester liners were so much more laid back than Blueys.

I was in Blueys for four years 1952/56 and never came across Leading Seaman or Bosuns Mates.
    There were three deck boys, two O.S's, Two AB dayworkers, nine watchkeeping AB's (three to a watch), one Lamptrimmer and one Bosun plus of course a Chippy. This was on the "A" boats, I believe these numbers were drastically reduced years later.

Someone mentioned Leading seaman doing the docking wheel, I never came across this, whoever was on watch did it. I enjoyed my four years there and learned a lot, I went on to sail in many more companies but never came across the same "bull" that they had in Blueys.

Alec.

6. Thanks N/A, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alec, you should have sailed with P&O on their passenger liners. I think they invented the word "bull" Inspection was a nightmare, and this was a daily routine.
    Regards
    John

8. Thanks Trader thanked for this post
    Likes Trader liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's the first time I have heard of a leading seaman in the MN that's more to the RN I suppose that would be the same as a EDH

10. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOU leading seamen in bf... they were company men some stayed on the same ship for years and when finished with deep sea went to the shore gang it was sort of a job for life thing? bf was called the welsh navy pity they never moved with the times?jp

12. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the RN Lou, think after leading seaman was Cox"n or coxswain. Our RN members will know better. JS

- - - Updated - - -

#17.... Same as Ben Line was known as the Scottish Navy. Maybe Mr. Salmond thinks Scotland still has and doesnt have to rely on the British Navy... Cheers John S

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would disagree with that John , I always knew of Clan Line as " The Scottish Navy " , and believed it hd a lot to do with the RN style curled braid , which I believe was Clan Line and BP only that used it . BUT I may be wrong !
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

15. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could be Rob, only know I sailed with an ex Ben Line man for a few years and all he ever talked about was Ben Line, so was probably me that christened it the Scottish navy, he being a scotsman as well. Now as regards braid, hear cappys started wearing his hair up as a braid on top of his head when he visits the Mechanics in Shields on a saturday night, he destroyed one of my sisters high heel shoes I borrowed for him last time he was out so not lending him anymore fancy gear. Beleive their was someone trying not so long back trying to contact ex Ben line people. John Richie was the master I was with, dont think he was ever master with them though Chief officer as he used to say, I used to get him going and say you mean mate dont you, he was adamant it was Ch. Officer. Poor old bugger is dead now. We both stopped smoking together, and after the best and easiest time I ever had at sea on the ship attached to the MOD, got dragged back as master on supply boats, Saw him at a masters meeting in Aberdeen and was puffing away on a cigar, said the doctors had given him 6 months as had a tumor on the brain. Kept on working till close to the end though. Cheers John S.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast