Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Ships list

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ships list

The only ship i was on with a free drink, was, i think an Ellerman Papayani boat, but i cannot swear to that. It was once a week on a weekend and was a tot of cask rum, in those days i could not stand spirits, not so now of course, but i was always persuaded to draw my ration, and had willing takers of it. I know on tankers when cleaning tanks there was a tot, but i never served on tankers. kt
    R689823

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith the Harp lager on Palm boats was not free. Every day between 1200 to 1230 you could go to a hatchway in the bar to buy the lager. The system they used was to give subs to pay for the bar bill. The sub was in 10 bob notes so it could not be used ashore, the money went around in a circle. There was always a clean bucket so you could have a pint at smoko.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When you look at the price of beer today ,and is supposed to be going up substantially here in Oz very soon, and what we were paying in ships bars in the 70s for a pint of lager makes one weep , it was 10 pence a pint or the old 2/- piece. Think out here people will revert back to wine or plonk as was known by us in the 50s and 60s , and the cheapest was Penfolds , now the dearest so will have to keep clear of that one .The average price in WA at the moment for a pint is $9 and is going up to $15. One would have to be a fully committed beer drinker to pay that. The brewery’s are on a losing wicket as far as I am concerned . Cheers JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John the pubs in the uk are going going gone .....but some with a good food restaurant are very busy .......i personally do not go into pubs as such anymore the pubs of the past are long gone in in north yorks and have been decimated in shields and the north in general the breweries are begging for tenants....but the footfall is just not there anymore ....I buying coors 20 bottles for 12 quid .....thisweekend i have two friends we are meeting for sunday lunch in the north york moors ....they live south of us and will call in to us on the way up .....iether pat or i will drive them to the chosen restaurant ...we will probably have a couple of bottles of wine over the afternoon ....while we eat our sunday lunch....but pubs just for a drink are long gone now .....and a cool coors at home at the current price is bloody good value ......probably oz or chilian wine ....will raise a glass to you regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree there Cappy,have not seen a pub with a dart board, or a cribbage board for years, no one goes just for a pint anymore, only to eat and go. By that standard most so called pubs are dead by about 9 o'clock, in our days, ring a bell with 5 mins to go. They said you could all tell an Englishman in a pub, ring a bell, and he would automatically down his pint and rush to order another. kt
    R689823

8. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, N/A, J Gowers, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#33 On ships (early 70s) 5 pence for a 1/4 gill of sprits, if I remember right there are 20 1/4 gill tots in a standard spirts bottle any left over less than a 1/4 gill was the 'barmans tot' i.e. free.

Got to agree with other comments on this thread a lot of the old 'real' pubs have gone but still a few around my area. Dominos in the the pub used to be very popular but never seen this being played for years as well as less and less dart boards, even snooker tables seem to have gone .

I can still remember the 10 o' clock closing (Late 60s) in the pub at nine and throw back about five pints before chucking out. I now live in a small village and it was pretty normal 30 years ago to get a lockin and stay drinking till the owner closed up which could anything for eleven to three or four in the morning, no such thing today.

UK003715

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ll alcoholic drinks, smokes and petrol go up twice a year, Feb and Sep, at the rate of inflation.

Next increase will be at 4%, so a pint which now can be bought local for $7 will cost about $7.30.
    But in some areas it could cast as much as $15.
    Might dig around in the shed for the old still
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    ll alcoholic drinks, smokes and petrol go up twice a year, Feb and Sep, at the rate of inflation.

Next increase will be at 4%, so a pint which now can be bought local for $7 will cost about $7.30.
    But in some areas it could cast as much as $15.
    Might dig around in the shed for the old still
    John, I suppose it is like a lot of places, some will be charging over the odds and there will be places that are cheaper. Last time in Aus, Perth 2012, it was at least $7 a pint then.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, cappy, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Met with a couple from Perth while in London.
    We though prices were over the top but they told me they were not so bad compared with Perth.
    But being the most isolated capital city in the world does have an effect on prices.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4