Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: researching my Dads career

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default researching my Dads career

Hi Everyone, I am researching my Dads career at
    sea. I'm trying to access his RN and MN records. Wondered if anyone sailed with him. His seamens record says he was with Furness Withy in 1966. Then it seems he worked for PSNC, ships listed(that I think are PSNC ship's) are Pacific Northwest in 1969, Eleuthera 1970 and the Picardy. What kind of ship's were these. In 1969 he was a 4th mate and in 1970 he was 3rd mate. The log says he gained his 2nd mate cert in '69 and first mate cert in '71. He was a Captain by the early '80s. His name was David Lycett and would have been 69 this year, sadly he was killed whilst working Foreign Flag in the UAE as Captain of the Al Safaniya.
    Thanks for any help/advice/ideas in advance.
    Rachel

2. Thanks Richard Quartermaine, N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: researching my Dads career

Hi Rachel,
    Hang in there. There are a many on this site who will take up your cause and provide the information you seek. It is sad to read of your Dad's misfortune.
    Best wishes, Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

4. Thanks Rachel Owen thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rachel I must have answered a similar post to this without the info. you have in this one. Was under the impression you had no info at all, and was pure conjecture on my side the way he could have got to where he did. You will have to wait until you see who knew him. Although should imagine his time on foreign flagged ships his circle of aquaintances will be few, as were usually the league of nations on board. The only similar occurrence I can remember was the Master of a supply boat hitting a mine in the Gulf, and the way a supply vessel is built with the bridge right forward he was killed outright, think if remember correctly he was the only fatality. All the best on your search for people who knew him and someone will remember him I am certain. Regards JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 26th February 2016 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi J.Sabourn,
    Finding more out as I piece together the few bits of information I have. All very complicated and not really knowing this industry, it's laws and history, it's quite hard to navigate through the info. Really enjoying the search though. Thank you for your time!
    Regards
    R

7. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rachel forgive me but you have already opened two posts on your father Capt David Lycett and have received numerous replies on those posts, opening a third will not achieve any more answers but only muddy the waters and you may miss important information if you neglect to check the other posts. It also makes it easier for people who are volunteering their time, expertise and efforts if they do not have to triple their output, as time used reading and answering duplicate plus posts could be used to help others with similar queries. Just a thought my dear and I wish you well in your efforts

9. Thanks Rachel Owen thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Pacific Line

History

The correct name of the company was Pacific Steam Navigation Company (PSNC).

LINK: The Allen Collection: Pacific Line

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ivan,
    Many thanks for the advice and I shall heed it. Am I able to delete threads and which is the best to leave up. Just trying to cover all avenues.
    Thank you for your time.
    Kind regards
    Rachel

13. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Owen View Post
    Hi Ivan,
    Many thanks for the advice and I shall heed it. Am I able to delete threads and which is the best to leave up. Just trying to cover all avenues.
    Thank you for your time.
    Kind regards
    Rachel

Rachel, I would hang on, at some stage the other two posts may be merged and may be found when those looking in find the original appeal. I would imagine you may find more esp PSNC orientated here. Possibly. K

15. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rachel, thank you for your understanding, Vernon, one of our administrators will no doubt merge your posts should that be necessary, my main aim was that you didn't miss anything, which can easily happen if numerous posts are running on the same subject. I served in PSNC, but it was before your father's time, 1950's, some others will have sailed later, but with over 10,000 members not all look in all the time, but you will be amazed at what eventually turns up in the MN family. It was only last year I learned by chance of the whereabouts of someone I'd sailed with over 50 years ago, he was a little bit older than me, so I drove up from Torquay to Aberdeen to meet him, so hang in there, it will happen

17. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan/Keith
    Thank you both for your advice, I'm finding it mind boggling the amount of info on this site, threads on so many topics, I just posted on the first few threads that seemed applicable. So many people and so much knowledge. This is an epic adventure for me.
    Thanks for your help!

19. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Evan Lewis, Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast