Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1960 apprenticeship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 1960 apprenticeship

In Sept 62 I joined Sarmiento as first trip apprentice. The Chief Officer was Pugh, the most horrible man I have ever encountered. During the Straits of Magellan transit he had me stand on the bridge wing for 4 hours without any break whatsoever. Arriving in Liverpool he had me take a bottle of gin and place it in my cabin. Pretending for the rummage squad that this was my docking bottle. having left it in the cabin when I left the rummage squad were waiting and re inspected the accommodation. Finding the bottle and realising what was going on they gave Pugh a ration of you know what. Also he had his car on the dock and loaded masses of ships paint to do up his house. Dreadful, bullying, man. Fortunately I met my mentor on the Kenuta. Chief Officer Stuart Ross. He had a terrible reputation as a hard man but trained and taught me many things which ensured my career became the enormous success it became.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 1960 apprenticeship

Hi Carl.
    Don't know if you have been welcomed to the site as yet, but welcome and hope you enjoy the site and it's many tales.
    WE all had to overcome some sod at one time or another in life, but it must have been hell for you on your first trip to meet an Aresole like that, as you say later there was someone who was a true seaman who looked after you and gave you the training you were entitled to. Good to hear that you prevailed with the sea.
    Cheers Des

redc.gif

3. Likes Richard Quartermaine liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Carl, Mr. Pugh sounds like something out of Post man Pat on think it was BBC tv when my kids were growing up. " Hugh Pugh Barney MacGrew Hibble Dibble Dob." Sure he got his just deserts in later life. Sailed with a mate just like that his name however was Smart. Probably also found later in life that he didn't live up to his name. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was'nt Mr.Pugh the dole clerk in Charlie Drakes The Worker series.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

6. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LETTER HOME FROM IST TRIP APPRENTICE dear mumi have arrrived at the ship it is dreadfully dirty and rusty ......i hope i dont get my beutiful uniform dirty.....we are SETTING SAIL shortly ....there is a nasty man called the mate .....he shouted at me ....but i was very brave like daddy said and held back my tears.....although i bit my lip .....i asked the chief steward for some lip balm ...he used i think what was a nautical term ...couldnt quite make it out but the second word was definetly off......oh mum the pain is awful ....DEAR MUM this is my second day at sea i have been dreadfully sick i wish i had not come to sea at all ....but the captain has said i must be a very brave boy and to come to his cabin DEAR MUM this is my third day at sea the captain has a very nice cabin ...he said i musnt worry and gave me a large glass of rum and cuddles .....it was nice mummi ...but i got a bit fed up cos he kept cuddling and hugging very tight......DEAR MUM this is my 4th day at sea i am loosing wieght....i asked the cook if he could make me a nice bacon sandwich .......he uses the same nautical term as the mate ...i only grasp the second word which is off ....i put on my strongest voice and nasty face and told him i was an officer .......this time i understood the nautical term......please ask daddy what feck off youlittle c#ntbefore i sling you over the wall ....mummy he then kicked me hard on my bottie it did hurt so i went and showed it to the captain.....he asked me to drop my trousers so he could look ......i bent over and did have an awful pain but the captain said be brave and dont move till the treatment is over ......ooh mummi it did hurt ..but i supose the captain knows best.....he told me further treatment was neccesary and to come back tonite ....DEAR MUMMI i went back to his cabin and he wanted to give me the treatment again but i said it was a bit to painful ....strangely mummy the captain said he loved me and i could come back as his mate next trip ......i stuck to my guns and said no ......he said if i didnt he would sink the ship and all 65 men aboard wuld drown .....so ihave only been at sea for five days and already have saved the ship and all hands .....3 times today....hoping to hear from you and daddy ....ps will i get a medal

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That the same kid cappy who sent an SLT home Dear Mum no mun your son Arfur. Back came the answer dear lad too bad your dad. JS

9. Likes Richard Quartermaine, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rather Neanderthal in it's content cappy. However, as an ex Inde boy I am able to spot a real bully boy a mile off.

11. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarlWass View Post
    Rather Neanderthal in it's content cappy. However, as an ex Inde boy I am able to spot a real bully boy a mile off.
    ex vindi boy myself ...a good start to a seagoing career....neanderthal agreed but you should never take seriously......what is poked at you in fun......lol regards cappy

13. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe Cappy our thread was inspired by those Conway types. Lol

15. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)