Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: P&O Ferries

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default P&O Ferries

Hello all,
    I’m not sure if there has been any discussion about the recent actions of P&O ferries. I’ve searched the site and haven’t found many recent comments, but that could be due to my own ineptitude!
    Either way I’d be interested in your thoughts.
    Since the incident where some 800 UK seafarers we’re replaced by foreign agency crews for commercial reasons. I seem to be bombarded by Facebook posts from P&O Cruises (Carnival) promoting their holidays. I’m not sure why as I’ve never been on a cruise & am not aware of ever having requested information.
    However the associated comments are far more interesting than the adverts.
    Many will invariably comment that “they would never sail with a company that treats their employees with such contempt”.
    There will follow an immediate response from P&O Cruises asserting they are a completely different company from P&O Ferries with different owners.
    This inevitably leads to condescending & often rude comments from those condemning such “stupidity & ignorance” and supporting P&O cruises in their assertion of independence from P&O Ferries.
    It seems to me quite reasonable for one to assume an association between two companies bearing the same brand.
    So, in summary….
    P&O ferries cynically replaced 800 UK crew with cheaper alternatives.
    P&O cruises (Carnival) obviously want to distance themselves from this appalling behaviour which is toxic to their brand.
    But here’s my question: Isn’t this rather disingenuous because P&O and other British flagged cruise lines replaced their UK crews with cheaper foreign alternatives as far back as the mid 1980s for the same commercial reasons? Members of my family worked on the cruise lines (P&O and Cunard) before they were replaced with Filipino or Indian nationals.
    When Canberra, Uganda & QEII were requisitioned as troop carriers during the Falklands war it was the incumbent UK crews who volunteered to sail into the conflict zone.
    So while I understand P&O cruises wish to avoid the bad press associated with P&O Ferries, it seems to me they did exactly the same thing almost 40 years ago.
    Is that a fair assessment or am I missing something? What are your views?
    Last edited by David Langley; 23rd April 2022 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: P&O Ferries

Spot on.
    I've done quite a few cruises with P&O, and there are very few UK crew. Some time back, a person was complaining that the crews were very badly paid, and started a campaign to get them parity with UK seamen. I pointed out to this person, that they were employed by Filipino agents, and that their families and cost of living were Filipino based, or India. Could hardly compare with living in Southampton with a mortgage. I imagine the same now applies to P&O Ferries.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Certainly not the P&O of yesteryear fr sure! I did not sail on them, but had an Uncle who was at Sea for many Years and worked as Crew for them.
    Also of course knew many other Lads working fo that Company, and i know for sure that in the 1950's and 1960's it was one of the finest ever. Crew were all happy and no complaints, at that time thee were very very few other than British Employed on them, possibly a few others!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1. Even longer than 40 years previously David. The 1966 seaman’s strike was to me a symbol of the change to British Shipping , and I am still bemused on how it could ever have been allowed to happen. I assume in my tiny mind of our so called countries leaders and associated hangers on that it was a combined effort on their part to rid itself of the encumbrance of having a British Merchant Navy. However History is always written by those in power , so the truth will never be known with certainty . Cheers JS

Today it seems that the western world is totally reliant on cheap labour to conduct their business, and yet people are still arguing about past slavery events. Are they not aware or do they not want to be aware , that slavery has not gone away and is still thriving under another guise. I wonder what faces the world when the source of cheap labour finally dries up, what the answer will be ? Business today I am told is run by the accountants and the profits depend on his accountancy skills , personality’s don’t appear in the equation . And such is the way governments are run we are told, but at the same time they can produce out of Jack the Hats cap , billions to assist other countries in distress through war and famine. High finance unless trained in accountancy is just higher mathematics and people can be fooled at any time by a glib tongue , who are usually politicians. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th April 2022 at 01:36 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just as a clarifier to one small way of money making by banks themselves . I am the official treasurer for a club. When I get a statement of what is in the account it always includes the cents .if I was to clear the account these cents would disappear. The answer to any queries about this would be I assume there are no such coinage today of single cents . All those single cents magnified by the thousands of bank accounts , plus the bank fees , must accumulate into a very nice nest egg for someone. The accountants win win every time . JS
    R575129

6. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#2. When you come into the realms of crewing agency’s I can point out a few salient facts of 50 + years ago. The British agencies in existence then the likes of Miss Silvers of Liverpool I can quote word of mouth from the same when I went through her good auspices , when I was knocking offers back and she was complaining I was costing her too much money for phone calls abroad. So I asked her what she got for supplying bodies . Her words I get the equivilant of your first months wages. However you didn’t have to pay this for the privilege of working. Some of the foreign agencies were different the likes of Hong Kong the seamen worked a full month before they started earning, maybe longer if they owed money for lodgings in Hong Kong itself as most came from mainland China. They weren’t paid a kings ransome either. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th April 2022 at 09:27 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #4
    good morning, your piece on the destruction of the merchant navy, seen from your eyes from the 1966 strike was im afraid the final steps put into place by the deal prime minister winston churchill made with america when we where so desperate for arms and any other assistance that we could gain from any source during the second world war, and all because this country went to help europe, and we have suffered the consequences of that deal and that war up to this very day, and reason being that america wanted from the british goverment and its people to give up their right to the british empire, and so not only was this country badly damaged by the war but we where made to give up all that the americans decided we had too. ( ie open competition and access to all we own .
    and so it goes on at the world economic forum in 2021 the big business conglomerates fronted by billionairs with pseudo left wing agendas , the likes of klaus schwarb and george soros have set the agenda for the future of which the common man is forseen as owning nothing, and whom will be extremely happy and content with their lot, if you think this will never come into fruition then look at what biden and his cabal are doing to a american,and indeed this country, all in the name of the economic forum in 2021 and its called the great Reset, which wants no borders and no passports for the individual human being that roams this earth, coming back to your tract on cheap labour and it is instantly reconised why globalists would want no borders ie a constant supply of individuals for their use, even today i reconise the absolute treachery of the conservatives under boris johnson to the point where the deal to send illegal immigrants from around the planet that arrive in this country have finally been exposed for every one illegal this country send to rwanda, then we have to bring one african back from rwanda, so not only do we have to pay for the illegals to be taken there but we have to pay to bring one or more back, It is the same under johnsons deal with india as i now find that he is ready to allow hundreds of thousands of indians into this country in return for business deals.
    we are but pawns in greater game where we are being socially engineered by those in a position to do so, using political clap trap to destroy all our communities and beliefs together with our religion and cultures to homogenise and conform us to the proscribed doctrine, fed to us by the political extremists whom are the ready to decolonise our education system, close our art galleries close our museums and feed the narrative to the people that the white man needs to repent and apoligise to the blacks and the world for all the evil we are responsible for,
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow !!! Thomas that’s quite a lot to assimilate in one go but can see the gist of it and some I agree with straight away. We have a party here in Australia led by a Clive Palmer who has similar rhetoric, he is according to his proviso he puts out going to solve every problem imaginable. However I am dubious of every political bigwig who walks this earth, and this just goes on past facts and the mess ups they always seem to leave in their wake for the next one in to compound on. They are but mere mortals some just more mere than others , but no spark of intelligence amongst the lot of them put together is the way I see them all , no matter what party they represent.
    However good to see you posting again . Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PS would you go back to sea for those stated rates by the P and O , ? JS
    R575129

11. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An interesting fact has come up here in Sydney with Carnival Cruises , the first ship since close down from Covid arriving in Sydney harbour, and the question is. They arrive in the morning; discharge 3,000 passengers load new provisions, then take on board another 3,000 passengers and sail late that night, to avoid dear port charges, so when do the crew get to do a complete Covid clean ?
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

13. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast