Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: P&O Ferries

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: P&O Ferries

Here in Oz way back in the dark days of the 1960's union membership was at about 95% of the work force.
    It now sits at around 10%, mainly in areas such as Police, Fire, Ambos, some aged care facilities, retail and the CFMMEU.
    That is the Construction Forestry, Mining, Merchant Marine, Electrical Union.
    They amalgamated to survive.
    If the unions are so good why is membership so low?

As to your clothes from China, think again.
    A couple of years back we did a cruise that took in Cambodia.
    WE visited a site which had four factories, each about half an acre in size.
    From there a road some 15 klm long to the docks.
    All owned by China, wages are lower in Cambodia so China outsource their clothing manufacturing to them.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 13th May 2022 at 06:43 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes vic mcclymont, cappy, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Read an article on line that P&O ferry had over 47 defects, the defects were uncovered when inspected after the new crew arrived.
    There were faults in the fire detection systems, unhygienic working conditions.
    Lifeboats not working and other life safety equipment defective.
    Now these faults cannot in my opinion be attributed to the new crew as they had
    only been on the vessels a shord period of time.
    Faults that can be attributed to the crew and the management were insufficient knowledge of the ships safety and procedure systems.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That would not surprise me. I would imagine that defects would more or less just be added to the dry dock list, that is unless glaringly obvious. Thing about the new crews is, are things going to improve or get worse? I wonder how often MSA inspectors attend other ferry operators vessels? I believe though that a major issue with the new crew was failure to demonstrate launching the Rescue recovery boat and failure to launch and lifeboats and general understanding of safety equipment.
    Last edited by James Curry; 13th May 2022 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But surely if there were that many faults the situation didnt happen overnight ......who should have have seen these probs and had them sorted ......brings back an incident when an apprentice went over the wall iN 1958 .....the clinker built lifeboat was launched and due to bad management smashed against the ships side and just about folded in two ....as one ...the mate in charge of lowering the lifeboat managed to get the bow of the lifeboat about 5 foot lower than the stern ......the ab forrard then trying to loosen his falls ....which caused the boat to swing completey round and as the vessel was still under way smash into the ship and crumble .....the vessel itself was quite old ...on inspection it appeared the lifeboat was held together by ...many previous paintings....cappy R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy the only people who know a ship are the people who sail on that ship . I don’t see any real cause for alarm on these posts about untrained seamen. Every ship is the same but at the same time different with its own idiocracys that one has to find out about . I spent 38 years as master and mate and a seaman I found is only as good as their seatime . If they are putting non seafarers with little or no experience on board their vessels then there is cause for alarm , and if so any master or mate worth his salt should complain . The story’s about inspectors marking vessels 4/10 for doing the job , is the media’s version and I wouldn’t give a toss to its authenticity. To them it’s a story and when you think back to the so called tanker blocking the Suez Canal by one of their shipping experts when he had some people who wouldn’t know better , believing it, is about par for their reporting on any shipping matters. This probably extends to all storys they want to promote , their lack of shipping knowledge however I can vouch for. Cheers JS.
    As to James saying about the launching of FRC craft , I spent a number of years doing that on an average twice a day , and there are different launching methods which vary in safety aspects , and this was a full time job for the usual 3 men who crewed such , with a fourth in reserve. But for drills only I would never launch it in anything above a force 6. The only real danger in launching that type of vessel is launching and recovery.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th May 2022 at 10:53 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    But surely if there were that many faults the situation didnt happen overnight ......who should have have seen these probs and had them sorted ......brings back an incident when an apprentice went over the wall iN 1958 .....the clinker built lifeboat was launched and due to bad management smashed against the ships side and just about folded in two ....as one ...the mate in charge of lowering the lifeboat managed to get the bow of the lifeboat about 5 foot lower than the stern ......the ab forrard then trying to loosen his falls ....which caused the boat to swing completey round and as the vessel was still under way smash into the ship and crumble .....the vessel itself was quite old ...on inspection it appeared the lifeboat was held together by ...many previous paintings....cappy R683532
    I joined a ship in Singapore, was meant to be a pierhead jump, ended up being there 7 days after a safety survey condemned both the lifeboats down aft (riveted aluminium, every rivet head he tapped with his little hammer pinged off). He also condemned all the tank vent deck lines. We sailed when two new lifeboats were installed and tons of pipe and flanges dumped on deck. Field days for everyone making and fitting new vent lines for a couple of weeks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I already have a post about something similar Tony when was on a ship registered in Gibraltar both boats had been condemned for the 10. months I was there and goodness knows how long before that which meant the Safety Certificate was null and void , I joined that ship in Rotterdam, went to Gdańsk, Dakar, Pakistan, Bombay , Capetown ,Singapore, Thailand, Taiwan, within spitting distance of Vietnam but the ship was not entered in , Hong Kong.Japan. The ship was entered in to all these ports and all certs. Lodged as per mercantile requirements. you tell me how they got away with a gross misdemeanour like that , not once but continuous. I left in Japan. On my own wishes. What really got me was the master in Hong Kong told me to draw or sketch a drawing to show how new boats would look when installed , so I sketched the way I saw it should be done , by replacing the 4 boats with 2 and cropping the 8 Davits and replacing with 4 to suit the 2 new boats. This must have been used as a temporary measure to sartisfy the authority’s in H.K.to get a clearance. Unbeknown to me I was incriminating myself by doing so as they were never replaced before the ship went to the breakers .Many shipowners got away with breaking the law , and P & O are carrying on in the same vein .Cheers JS.....
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th May 2022 at 02:03 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on an old Union Steam ship the Waipori in Sydney, we had just run away from a storm in Port Kembla and were waiting to go back to load steel, the Captain decided to have boat drill, as we lowered the lifeboat one of the davits collapsed, and the boat crashed into the Harbour, both men in it were ok but very wet. They sent the davit ashore for repair, the Captain worried about loosing his berth in Kembla, decided to put the life boat on no five hatch and lash it down; with a derrick ready to hoist it overboard, we refused to sail, as there was only one lifeboat a side, we would never be able to get all the lashings off in time, he threatened us with DRs plus, we got the Aus seamen's union who advised us not to sail. we were there a week, then they brought the Davit back and fixed it up, one of the blokes said it had been ready the day following the accident. The skipper tried to give us all DRs but was stopped by the shipping master when we told him the story.
    Des.
    PS We had a system on the NZ coast where the union delegate give the mate a list of problems when we entered the main port, which he got fixed, it worked very well.
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

10. Thanks j.sabourn, cappy thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now on container ships with often just the bare number of crew on board how do they find time to locate any problems.
    Most are in and out of port in such quick time there would be no one there to inspect any fault.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des similar here in Oz was my experience going to bring ships down from Singapore to work on the coast here. If they were going to be taken on a bareboat charter and went up with a full Australian crew we had 3 union head office reps with us , 1 The seaman’s union. 2. The Engineers union 3 The Guild The navigators Union.The rigmarole was that the 3 union men inspected the ships to see if it came up to Australian standards as to crew environment and seaworthiness etc. To me it appeared suspect as was the first time I had seen this done. Especially when the Guild man sitting next to me one time complained bitterly on the way up that he should be travelling first class which I took he meant to apply he was too good to be sitting in our company , it was just a jolly for them was the way I saw it. Another time doing the same thing but flying up to New Guinea , the 3 union heads had a fracas amongst themselves in the hotel the first night , and came down to breakfast sporting black eyes and various
    abrasions. You wouldn’t believe it unless you had seen the goings on . However at the end of the day I think the seafarers of Australia had the best wages and conditions of any seafarer in the world during my short period of 11 years out here. Coming up to retiring age I just grabbed the money , and at the end of the day said adieu and thanks for the memories . Wish I had been out here 40 years earlier. Cheers JS
    R575129

13. Thanks cappy, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes cappy liked this post
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9