Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: P&O Ferries

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: P&O Ferries

Shows my memory is going on certain things . Although as say as wasn’t a union man as such , was force of habit being a member mainly for insurance and the likes. I received the Numast Award in 1991 So was not too long after they called themselves Numast , now I believe it s called something else. In 1991 it was the first issue of its kind. There were 5 recipients 4 seafarers and a Nursing sister from the Dreadnought hospital. I think there was another one seaman who couldn’t get there as was working in Brazil. It was supposed to be given out every 3 years , and think the next one given was to the shipping minister of Canada . Whenever I have tried to find out in the past the progress of this award no one seems to know . So when the name was changed again it must have been renamed or just left behind in the UK. Maybe now out of Europe it may come back but small hopes of that. The Theme in 1991 was titled Safety Through Proffesionalism . Thanks your updating of my brain . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 4th May 2022 at 07:40 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref. comment by J.Sabourn - Hello sir, I recall being advised/recommended to join the MNAOA in around 1975 when I was completing my cadetship with SS&A and prior to my first deeps-sea trip as an engineer. It was not a 'closed-shop' as I recall but I think that if one decided not to become a member then the equivalent of the subscription could be paid to a charity or something like that.
    As far as them having any 'teeth' as you say, then they certainly stood-up for us officers in SS&A when there was some trouble with the crew when our ship was in Auckland. It was the M.V. Amalric and, to cut a long story short, we spent around 6 weeks tied-up in Auckland with the UK crew on strike demanding parity of wages with NZ seamen working out of New Zealand.
    The officers continued with normal duties throughout but when going ashore had to run the gauntlet of abuse from the crew on the dock who had formed a picket-line preventing access to the vessel for normal cargo work etc. There was eventually some kind of agreement to settle the dispute but we were apparently expected to sail again with the same crew. The senior officers objected and, upon requesting a replacement crew be sent out, we were informed that this would not happen and that, despite 6 weeks of working through the dispute without so much as a murmur, unless we agreed to sailing with the original crew, we could all be replaced within 48 hours!
    The Chief Officer contacted the MNAOA forthwith and they backed us up fully. My understanding is that they told SS&A that unless they agreed to the officers request then the MNAOA would instruct all members on all SS&A ships, worldwide, to go on a 'work-to-rule' schedule and refuse to leave ports etc. This had the effect of causing an immediate about-face from the company and a replacement crew was flown out without delay. So, thank you MNAOA.

3. Thanks cappy, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#72 Thanks for that Adrian and apologies if I have given out false info. You have rattled the brain cells and seem to recollect the same .Think I was a member of MNAOU since 1953 on similar advice .as regards the change to Numast the same to the author who put my memory to right . I am in the process of talking to the MNA as someone correctly put on this site , for further maritime information as think they will have a better account of what a lot of us older ones are failing to remember. Whether they deign to reply or not remains to be seen. But I have made the effort.Its better that the truth was ensconced on this site than what we in some cases mis-remember. There is enough mis truths in the history books already . Cheers JS
    R575129

5. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The rich have a lot to account for. They believe that with out them every one would be destitute. But with out the real people ( the Workers ) the rich would not be rich. So what do they do? They circumnavigate their own people and exploit the lesser well off from other countries. And lets not forget the rich can do this because they have the blessings of the politicians who represent us.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very true #74, and along with that the richest can afford to employ the smartest there is to ensure they pay as little legally as they can when it comes to taxes and costs.

But it a bit of an each way bet, both need each other to survive.
    A company cannot survive without workers who will work to make the profits the company require.
    But at the same time there should be some form of equality in pay and conditions if you want the company to survive long term.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Keith Roberts View Post
    The rich have a lot to account for. They believe that with out them every one would be destitute. But with out the real people ( the Workers ) the rich would not be rich. So what do they do? They circumnavigate their own people and exploit the lesser well off from other countries. And lets not forget the rich can do this because they have the blessings of the politicians who represent us.
    What a load of old cobblers .....there must be more logic in the rosies aboard the passenger ferries in bangladesh....bet you are wearing a shirt made in china keks made in anywhere except the uk .....and when the pandemic is over go abroad and spend your holidays in the sunshine ...probably drive a foriegn car ..unless you are one of the POOR workers who havnt got a bleedin car...your out your sell by date mate....bet your still in the bleedin union lol ......cappy R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

*76 If you can't come back with a counter argument resort to insults. We all have our opinions and are free to express them.
    It was the wealthy of the world who introduced slavery onto their plantations boosting their profits to 100%. When slavery was abolished the slave owners were compensated for the loss of their slaves, former slaves received nothing.
    It is the wealthy of the world who outsourced production to China taking advantage of a low wage economy and poor working conditions.
    P&O Ferries is owned by a Dubai multi national company backed by the Dubai Sovereign Wealth Fund. It's UK directors and board members were not asked to take a pay cut to their massive salaries, millions of pounds still paid out to shareholders. Crew members kicked out of a job, the bottom of the ladder, leaving the company free to exploit third world labour.
    The ugly face of capitalism.

11. Likes Jim R Christie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

morning louis

WE ALL HAVE OUR OPINIONS AND ARE FREE TO EXPRESS THEM .....THANK YOU .....BUT JUST TELL ME THIS .....WHAT HAS THE UNION RE THE MN EVER DONE FOR THE BRITISH MERCHANT SEAMAN.....THE MINERS ....THE DOCKERS .....OR UNCLE TOM COBLEY AND ALL.....NOTHING ......WERE HAS THE SUPPORT BEEN OVER THE P AND O JOB ...WAVE A BLEEDIN BANNER ITS THE GOVERNMENT THAT YOU CONTINUALLY CASTIGATE ....THAT STOOD BY THE SEAMEN....IF YOU WANT TO BE GOVERNED IN THIS WORLD TODAY ON YOUR WAGES ...JOIN A BLEEDIN UNION..
    BUT THE AS YOU CONSTANTLY REITERATE IN PARROT FASHION

WE ALL HAVE OUR OPINIONS AND ARE FREE TO EXPRESS THEM
    CAPPY EX MN R 683532

13. Thanks Graham Payne thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When Henry Ford started the world's first car production company he hired low level mafia members to beat up workers who wanted to form a union. Fast forward to the present day, Jeff Bazos one of the world's wealthiest men fires workers on trumped up charges if they want to form a union in his Amazon warehouses. If unions are so useless why the fear of the super wealthy, is it perhaps they would have to pay their employees a fair wage and provide a safe workplace?
    Tory government standing by seamen. You must be back on the vino. Words words and more words, what action have they taken to prevent this happening again??? Absolutely none. I lost my little blue NUS union book many years ago have you still got yours???

Louis ex MN R786940

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

but louis you still havnt quoted one instance in any industry .....where your unions have saved any jobs ....ie mn pits docks but they are still taking peoples money and execs living in offices beyond there dreams ...pensions second to non ...company cars ...yet and its a big yet ......people cannot work without a bleedin book....your talking about mafia tactics ....they are finished ....put your banner away ....the bands dont play anymore .....nobody listens ....come into the modern world we stopped burning coal ..kids dont climb up chimneys any more....the union membership has collapsed...like the old knocker up in the pit villages ...they arnt needed any more.....come into the light louis ....loosen up and enjoy ......cappy R683532

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast