Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: P&O Ferries

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: P&O Ferries

A few things on this app. so will go ahead.
    Clive Palmer is a loud mouth bully who has made his money suing people in court who could not afford to defend themselves. Very similar in character to the people taking over P & O.
    Not all Hong Kong sailors paid tone employed. I had a stand by crew working on the Sandys River and when it came time to sail. could not engage that crew as there agent wanted the first months wages.
    One of the owners found out that one of his Hong Kong staff was demanding a months wages from crew, so flew out secretly to HK, and physically threw that clerk out of the office. He did not even get his jacket.
    They were without one of the best employers I have had, and am now 86.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A point there Des you might be aware of what these dear port charges are ? The time I was working out of Sydney we were using one of them passenger berths where these monstrosities berth . Only a small vessel but I was surprised when I saw the bill for berthing charges which were $ 80 a night or 24 hours , this included fresh water supplied which one helped themselves to. There must be one massive jump between passenger carrying vessels and much smaller vessels . We had a dozen ocean bottom surveyors on board , and if the shipowner had used that excuse to keep the vessel anchored outside they would have put their hands in their pockets and offered to help him out. There was always a reason at sea that shipowners used for their own advantage. Much much later when I brought the ship back to Fremantle during that time of the tassie Sydney yacht race when a lot were lost to bad weather I was inveigled into sailing on the excuse they had a charter waiting which the vessel had to be there for. The pilot would not even come outside the Heads with us and disembarked half a mile earlier. If the company. Had used the excuse of harbour charges I would of offered to pay myself. Cheers JS
    R575129

3. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I suspect P&O ferries are running on a similar agreement to P&O cruises in a similar manner to all cruise companies.
    They set up agencies in each country and wages are paid at an agreed rate that each company has established, it can vary between each one.

For the crew on most ships it means a far better wage than they would get in their own country so they are happy to work for it.
    It will no doubt be below the standard rate of UK or similar countries, but closer to the lowest rate in USA where most companies are based though not registered there.

As for cleaning Des, all ships we have been on have a constant night time clean team who work 24/7, just hope they do a good job.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne, Denis O'Shea, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5 JS, many years ago a bank tellor in the USA, hatched a plot to remove from everyone's account the odd cent or two. He reckoned that most people only checked the dollars and ignored the cents. For years he skimmed the odd cents from the banks customers every month he made a fortune.
    His crime was discovered when a bank customer complained about her account. When the bank checked they discovered the program which diverted the money each month from all the banks customers.
    He was jailed.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#13 That may suffice to ease the conscience of the shipowner who may believe he is doing the third world seafarer a beneficiary act of kindness , however all seafarers are citizens of the world , and are still expected when away from the homestead to be able to pay their way in the world. It also enables the employer to have a captive audience , who were a few centuries ago were called slaves. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On my travels I get to speak with many crew members and ask about their life at sea.
    Most will tell me they are doing well.

The Philipino crew appear to do the best.
    Many have told me that the sea wage has paid for medical services, university places for their children and money to buy a house.
    All tell me they could not have done this on shore side wages where they live.

So being happy with the wage no doubt keeps the cruise companies on top of the need to increase wages, or not as the case may be.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes N/A, j.sabourn, Graham Payne, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vic
    Our bank has just been fined $100million and $40 thousand, they were caught charging dead people on their accounts, plus taking payment for such things as insurance, there were other charges they were extracting, they made $millions.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16 That’s how I see foreign flag ships work John . The five years I spent on 4 different company’s , I never heard of anybody ever getting this statutory international union getting the stipulated salary, myself I negotiated my own, otherwise you accepted what was on offer. Different crew members were paid according to nationality. Always above what they would of received in their own countries. Plus of course in the earlier years if stayed out of the country from April to April were legally tax free. I sailed as master on one ship where the Chief engineer with me who was Russian was getting $2000 a month less than the second engineer who was Polish on a similar vessel of the same company. I was paid closer to Australian wages . If I had of had a DP certificate at the time would even have demanded $ 2000 dollars more . Wages were usually All in US $. JS
    PS maybe those Philippinos you talked to John thought you were a spy and didn’t want to get caught out by speaking bad about their bosses ,out of all the crews I sailed with one of the briefest ones were the philipinos who replaced Chinese and I found they could be very ingratiating and at the drop of a hat , not Jacks, could be very opposite , maybe I got a bad pick of the crop , but not for me. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 26th April 2022 at 07:46 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

P&O Ferries have been rightly condemned from all sources for the treatment of their crews. Politicians raising objections in the Commons and TV studios, apart from angry words what action has been taken ? The answer is none. In a month or two this story will be forgotten without changes to UK employment laws being made to stop this happening again.
    A large percentage of the blame for UK seafarers losing their jobs lies with the officers of P&O Ferries. They must have agreed to sail with the replacement crews and agreed to train them. Just a mention of strike action on their part would have stopped this taking place. Perhaps a little bribery in their contracts ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apart from the ethics displayed , human nature will almost surely come to the surface here Louis . I would imagine most of the officers on these ships will be married men with family’s and once out of a job there will be very little likelihood of re-employment in any part of the Shipping world. Most will have seen the aftermath of the seaman’s strike of 1966 , and what people refer to scabbing to keep their employment going and to be last on the redundancy list. However at the end of the day it goes who thought they were safe as houses all finished on the scrap heap. Most will have had the inclination which is natural when back to the wall to accept the best deal going.
    If you have no other options people will always take the best one going. The only thing which would of had any chance of saving them is the one thing that most are against and that is a controlled work force which means a good Union. That’s why any government or business is against , JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 26th April 2022 at 08:44 AM.
    R575129

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast