Click here to view on the web
||
Highlighted posts
||
April 16, 2011 * 9 posts * 8,888 views
Shaw Savillstephen street said:
Hi to any reader of this! Although i was not a shaw swivel employee. The dubious honour of sailing to NZ and back on the above was mine, when she was used as a cadet training ship.In mid 1977 the MEDIC had a CO training officer Mr Miles ... Read more >>
January 20, 2011 * 13 posts * 10,000 views
Cruise Ships of Today said:
I'm sure many of us here remember the 'freak wave' accident to the Italian superliner Michaelangelo. In April 1966 whilst on a regular crossing to New York,she encountered a 'freak wave'. The wave crashed onto the raised forecastle and ... Read more >>
March 21, 2012 * 137 posts * 20,755 views
Ask the ForumDavid Snook said:
I've done some research on Discharge Books and Discharge A numbers from WW2 to 1972 to try and get an idea of the turnover of British seamen over the period.Typical numbers issued for various years are1940 R 2174001943 R 230000 ... Read more >>
October 23, 2011 * 5 posts * 3,718 views
My Memoires and Other Interesting ThingsCaptain Kong said:
I paid off a ship in London and got a Liverpool bound train at Euston. This was around 1958. It was a train that had a coach that was like a pub, better than the ones of today, just a serving hatch. I went into the bar and ordered a large ... Read more >>
February 22, 2012 * 6 posts * 7,549 views
My Memoires and Other Interesting ThingsMike Williamson said:
Seamen always get excited when the ship is on its way home. We all remember that condition experienced when thoughts of home are constantly on one’s mind. It’s called “the Channels”. Originally meant to refer to how a sailor feels as ... Read more >>
March 10, 2012 * 1 post * 2,067 views
My Memoires and Other Interesting ThingsWagga said:
September 1969, M.V. Canberra Star, Glasgow. The Canberra Star was the first of 5 ships built in Germany and launched in 1955. She had a 10 cylinder oil engine which was capable of producing 11,250BHP and was regarded as a ... Read more >>
March 10, 2012 * 2 posts * 2,323 views
My Memoires and Other Interesting ThingsWagga said:
HMS Lowestoft, Portsmouth,1975. Families day after an eight month trip. The helicopter was rigged up with the depth charge, which naturally in a theatre of war, would be used against a submarine. Submarines are often quite visible from the ... Read more >>
January 26, 2013 * 25 posts * 13,188 views
My Memoires and Other Interesting ThingsRuss Kennedy said:
A comment made on a photo that was recently posted to the gallery reminded me of a couple of little trips ashore when I was on the Ibadan Palm. We had docked in Dunkirk to pick up cargo enroute to the West Coast of Africa. Three of us went ... Read more >>
May 26, 2021 * 12 posts * 187 views
Ask the ForumJames Blodgett said:
I am looking for information regarding an apprentice Patrick Conley who in 1837 at age 16 entered a 5 year apprenticeship under a master William Brown. Is there information available ... Read more >>
May 24, 2021 * 12 posts * 262 views
Swinging the LampDennis McGuckin said:
SHAW-SAVILL'S BUCCANEERS As down the quay at half-past three Came Shaw-Savill's drunken crew - They'd spent their sub in a dockside pub, Having a beer or two; But the time draws ... Read more >>

More...