Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: BBC Question Time

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: BBC Question Time

John post #19. You are referring to the "Darien Scheme" which was to set up a trading post in the Darien Isthmus. It was not in the interest of the English merchants mainly the East India Company for the venture to succeed and obstacles placed to make it difficult to raise funds. The Spaniards also wanted the Darien Isthmus and returned in 1700. The Scots lost 2000 men and £200,000. The anger in the nation was intense made worse by England not wanting to upset the Spanish. There was much back stabbing and underhand dealing after this but England through bribery managed to get the Union of Parliaments in place in 1707. It left a very divided country, which for some they never got over.
    Robert Burn's Poem sums it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bill,
    As far as I know, William Patterson the Scot who founded the Bank of England was a chief culprit of this disastrous adventure. Most of the Scots who emigrated to this place died of malaria.When they had arrived at Darien they found it was deserted marshland owned by Spain.

Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    I haven't watched this programme recently, decided to give a go last night.
    The programme was from Liverpool, never new there were so many posh speakers in Liverpool, only two or three spoke with the Liverpool accent.
    On the panel was Stephen Flynn MP (SNP) and Melanie Philips a journalist who lives in Israel and visits the UK frequently.
    Flynn is a loud mouth MP who can turn any question into an SNP rant, even Fiona Bruce couldn't get him to shut up.
    As per usual the conflict in Gaza was brought up, Flynn flew into his rhetoric, spouting his usual rubbish.
    Philipps was asked to give her views and she laid into Flynn big time, in fact she did so well tthat for the rest of the programme Flynn had a face like thunder, he was well and truly put in hi place.
    Vic
    I don't watch much BBC these days because of their rabid anti-Israel stance. When palestinians attack Israel, or stab Jews its 'resistance' but when Israel retaliates it's disproportionate and 'genocidal.'
    I'm not sure I would recognise the MP Flynn, but he sounds like another of the pro-palestine nutters.
    During the past 6 months, since the hideous attack on Israel on October 7th I have been utterly amazed at how the focus has shifted from the victims to the aggressors, who now seem to be regarded, by the left and the ******s, as the real 'victims' of Israeli aggression and attempted 'genocide.'
    I have had lots of on-line abuse from anti-Semites and pro-palestine nutters simply for telling the truth about the history of the conflict that has raged for centuries and shows signs only of escalating to the level of a regional war, with Iran now threatening to join in.
    The USA and UK government would like Israel to stop defending itself and thus allow Hamas to regroup, join forces with Lebanon, Iran and perhaps Syria to completely overwhelm Israel and destroy it, and then slaughter all the Jews in the most heinous way.
    Israel stands at the front line against Islamic Jihad, if Israel is annihilated Islamic Jihad will turn their attention towards Europe, they have already amassed small armies in every Western country. If you have children or grand children they will have to live under Sharia law by about 2060. A terrifying prospect.

4. Likes John Arton, John Cassels, John Rose liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I very much doubt that scenarios will ever occur, west has too much to lose in such a situation.
    But the reply by Israel is disproportional to the damage caused by HAMAS.
    Israel only want one thing, more land and total control of Gaza and Westbank.
    Palestinians have the right to live in peace just as any other nation.
    The only credible solution is a two state system.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, Gerard Fisher thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That tag applies to politicians the world over.

8. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would opint that Mr.Randles is correct. the mu###m army has already infiltrated in most european countries , we just haven't really woken up to the fact.
    Last edited by John Cassels; 8th April 2024 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Nicholson View Post
    How can it be that the children of immigrants, once so glad to be in a place of liberty, now want to dismember the nation that gave them a home?
    Not just dismember the country that gave their ancestors sanctuary - but turn us into replicas of the 3rd world countries that they came from. I think one of the reasons it's nigh on impossible to see a doctor these days is so the invading force can feel at home. How long before we turn to village witchdoctors? And the state of our roads - surely to duplicate the roads in down town Karachi or Mogadishu.

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I no longer watch Question time, gave up as Steven Flynn is such an embarrassment to many

13. Likes vic mcclymont, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh ye if little faith.
    What is wrong with a witch doctor, just look at our Aborigines here in Oz.
    That was all they had and look at them now, some still living the stone age style.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A local government officer has recently been fired from his post due to his inactivity. Although at his desk from morning to evening - first to arrive, last to leave - it was his refusal to acknowledge colleagues, answer his phone or reply to emails that caused this drastic decision by management.
    Apparently - although denials - it was only after two months it was discovered that the employee had suffered a heart attack whist at his desk.

Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3