Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hostages

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hostages

I think those who want to draw comparisons between the Boer War a 125 years ago and the present troubles today has a warped sense of the British mentality. Maybe an alien ? JS ….
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th February 2024 at 01:40 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#11 The problem with expats is they think British - hit don't stink. Even the word British BRI-TISH has a smell about it
    Last edited by James Curry; 13th February 2024 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    #11 The problem with expats is they think British - hit don't stink. Even the word British BRI-TISH has a smell about it
    I think that remark is a bit off the mark. In my my experience expats and travellers in general may have a nostalgic notion of their homeland but their real lived experiences of other National cultures (good and bad ) balance that with realistic comparison of their homeland with the world
    Doug

4. Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

arms Manufacturers, Despots and dictators get to do what they like with impunity, haaha they do that now,nato and iraq million dead, peace what a laugh

- - - Updated - - -

UK, US and other countries to pause funding for key UN aid agency for Palestinian refugees,peace what a laugh

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#12 British ? Your guess is as good as mine. Sounds more like a Russian sleeper. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th February 2024 at 10:05 PM.
    R575129

7. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doug , Nostalgic notion of their homeland. Retiring in 2013 I lived several years in Spain and also France. A problem I found with expats more than a few did nothing but moan about their adopted country.
    Yes I do a fair amount of moaning about the UK but at least I live here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What’s the name on the pension card ? JS
    R575129

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is a pension card?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Doug #13, as an ex pat I still have a feel for the old country and much of what I see when there and hear of from reli there is not good news to me.
    Sadly terrorists such as HAMAS and others have always been there in the background. and no doubt always will.
    Taking hostages is nothing new, Richard the first if I recall was taken by the Moors.
    Sometimes become a bargaining tool, sometimes not so good.

But this current situation is a little different from others, civilians have been collateral damage since WW2 but not in the way it is happening now in Gaza.
    To me this is little more than wholesale slaughter of innocents.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16 I too have lived and worked and worked in different countries, Total 12 years in Africa various countries. 5 years in North America , Canada & USA, 2 years in India and A year in China.
    I agree that a lot of expats did moan about their adopted Country , mainly because they thought it had been a mistake moving, but could not accept that “they” had made the mistake so it must have been someone else’s fault i.e the country they were in .The Aussies call them “Whinging poms “the South Africans called the Rhodesian’s / Zimbabweans “WhenWees” because they were always telling how great there country of origin was and how **** their current place of residence is . This bodes the question how do they square that circle , most return to their land of or origin or somewhere else if.They can’t for some reason or another.The host country is probably glad to see the back of them . But they generally continue to think the grass is greener over their shoulder.
    I too live in the UK and certainly don’t think it is utopia, nor do I think that I am guilty of atrocities around the world because I happen to be British . I believe I am fair minded , moderate in My views and have an open view on world affairs these views are informed by my travels and upbringing.
    The majority of British expats I have met are nostalgic about their Homeland i.e.royal family , the sense of being etc. they would no more think of leaving their adopted country than Fly in the air as they appreciate the opportunities they have been given.
    The stink of being British does not enter their head .Expats are only resentful of the opportunities denied by various political parties due to their greed and avarice. that’s what ignites the pioneering spirit . That’s is also my extent of moaning about the Uk.
    Doug

14. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast