Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: International Judges

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: International Judges

#20 Doug just a small mention re violence on ships at sea. I was 3 years working for an Indian company with Indian officers and crew. And for most of that time considered them a very passive people. To cut it short the Serang is a much sought after job in the hierarchy of their intellect and his decisions carry a lot of weight among the crew. Until I had one Serang who I couldn’t fathom out as he seemed frightened of his own shadow. I got the Indian 2 mate to find out why. Apparently this Serangs brother also of the same rank had managed to make himself unpopular with his own people, who sewed him up in a sack alive and threw him over the side at sea. The body was never recovered. Apparently the crew on the ship I was on also knew the story and some of the younger ones put him on notice the same would happen to him if necessary. Of course he was converted to a very timid man by his fear. Not much use as a Serang and the glory that went with the job.It made me think twice about the libido of lascar crews. Maybe libido is the wrong description, but one shouldn’t take everyone at face value. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

41# I agree, I remember we had a Donkey man on Port night watch who could stand and sleep with his eyes open! Me being me decided to wake him up by pouring a drop of cold water down the back of his neck from the manoeuvring plate above. All hell broke loose he chased me all over the engine room with a wheel spanner . Eventually the Sarang sorted it all out .Appeared he thought I had pee’d on him . The chief the second and the Serang made me suffer for that one for awhile. ( Rightly so) . Goes to show the power of a good Serang I could have ended over the wall for that one.
    Doug
    Last edited by Doug Hardie; 25th February 2024 at 08:38 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john #31
    good afternoon The most compelling argument against the climate change nutters was a piece i saw shown on GB news three months ago when their resident climate change commentator, JIM DALE ( whom often loses the plot, and did on this occasion) and in his effort to show-up a denier called PAUL BURGESS, and that the human effect that climate change was causing catastrophic damage to the planet , Paul Burgess turned around and told jim dale that he was not qualified to speak on climate change and that his arguments where untrue and preposterous,Whereby jim dale answered the accusation by saying that when he was in the royal navy he went on a meteorological course for six months and was therefore qualified to speak on the matter, Paul burgess has a B.SC M.Sc C.ENG and is weil respected in his field, i have yet to see any further sighting of the ex-royal navy weather reader since paul burgess put him to flight with the truth.
    tom

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Meterology covers the layers of the earths atmosphere where weather is formed such as the atmosphere ,and the troposphere and tropopause dividing it from the stratosphere , but apart from that what extra knowledge he has beats me. ? The old clean air acts if had been enforced world wide should have been sufficient for people with breathing problems. For man to set himself up against the elements and gain control of such beats me as to his audacity competing with God if there is one. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still on the weather John, I spoke to God the other day and asked him to stop the rain for a couple of days, so that the bloke that cuts my lawn could do so, he complied like the good bloke he whomever he is.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

7. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good mate of mine here was with the weather department for 42 years.
    Nothing new as far as records go, he tells me all happened before.

Bit on the net the other day about numbers of climate sceptics and climate nutters, the ones who believe that is.

Numbers vary from country to country but in UK sceptics outnumber the others.
    Overall sceptics out number nutters by about 15% according to the poll.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Regarding international judges in the European court of human rights, virtually non of them have any legal training or a legal background, most of them are purely political appointments.
    Rgds
    J.A

10. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So not unlike the US supreme court then, good job Trump stacked it in his favour, he will be calling in a few favours sooner rather than later.

12. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is not so much the make up of such courts, rather the time they take.
    It can be years before an international case is heard by which time most have forgotten what it is about.

then the time to give a verdict or some other form of result, accused could be dead by that time.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bet they are niot late in posting their fees.

Old joke, what do you call a 1000 lawyers at the bottom of the sea

A good start.

16. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast