Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Decimation of the ABBOT STEEL PLANT Port Talbot

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Decimation of the ABBOT STEEL PLANT Port Talbot

good evening
    there was a excellent piece in the mail today from Andrew Neil the scots born tv critic and journalist, whom went on to point out that the destruction of the steel plant together with nearly three thousand lost jobs all for the quest of the new religion of the ruling politicians NET ZERO started by blairs goverment and pressed forward and onwards by the conservatives,
    he points to the irony that by closing the blast furnaces and converting to greener electric arc production will cut co2 emissions by 1.5 per cent but that will be swamped by having to import our future steel, especially from china whose output will be increased co2 levels because of their use of dirty coal
    and also as chinas emissions rose 13 percent over the last decade.
    He goes on to point out that the rise in popular parties across europe have been because the electorate no longer has faith in these politicians and that the same will happen here in the uk.
    meanwhile port talbot a place i know there will be many on here whom have docked in will become a ghost town,

tom
    Last edited by thomas michael; 20th January 2024 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Decimation of the ABBOT STEEL PLANT Port Talbot

Hi Thomas.
    Watched a program on TV last night about a Welsh Valley that won the lottery, everyone shared I believe, but it wasn't the lottery that took my attention, the valley which is in the coal region looked devastated, steel works closed, mines closed, I wondered what people did for a crust, it appeared that the town was mostly women with a few old men, the whole town must have been on the dole, no chance of a job there for a poor Rwandan.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

3. Thanks j.sabourn, thomas michael thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1 Thomas am aware as many others of Port Talbot , also aware of being Richard Burtons birthplace I was told, but not as famous to seafarers as Cindy who kept the beer flowing during the seaman’s strike of 66. She married one of those steel workers so hope they managed to live happy ever after. If he wasn’t born there he had something in common with it or some edifice named after him. Burton that is. JS
    PS memory again wasn’t there a Richard Burton Lido there ? JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st January 2024 at 07:53 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah , SantaPortablo . many happy memories , Cindy , Lamb and flag , the Grand and the Walnut. Of all the times I was there
    on the Denholm ore carriers the most interesting was the 1966 strike , 3rd mate on the Arisaig .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#4 Ditto, the Cherrywood. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1 Blair did not sell off the steel industry. It is go with the flow and accept the current method of steel making is no longer sustainable. it is nearly 14 years since there was a Labour government.
    I agree the politicians have made a right balls up of the steel industry in the UK ? Either that or they have been linning their own pockets by the deals they struck

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see the UK Labor leader says it will be the end of the UK steel industry.
    But China does not use dirty coal, they buy from Oz who sells some of the worlds finest coking and thermal coal, all very clean stuff.

As to net Zero, the following of the Gore cult is all that is about.
    I read that a number of EU nations are cutting back on solar and wind dependency, looking to use the modular Nuclear options instead.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    I see the UK Labor leader says it will be the end of the UK steel industry.
    But China does not use dirty coal, they buy from Oz who sells some of the worlds finest coking and thermal coal, all very clean stuff.

As to net Zero, the following of the Gore cult is all that is about.
    I read that a number of EU nations are cutting back on solar and wind dependency, looking to use the modular Nuclear options instead.
    making coke from coal is a very polluting process unless strictly controlled.
    China has 127 official coal mines and who knows how many illegal mines (I was there in 05 when a local police chief was shot for running an illegal mine), I forget how many coal fired power stations are being built but I believe it is a significant number.
    I would doubt very much if any of these installations will have any measures to treat emissions.

10. Thanks James Curry thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Steve Neale liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8 spot on I was last there 2012 and the air pollution from coal stations and obviously cars and Trucks around the Shanghai area was very poor. Most of the pollution was coming from the Boilers Flue stacks .One thing I noted that a CF station situated on the river bank (Yangtze )there were no precipitators or dust collectors fitted to filter the air prior to its emission into the atmosphere this station had 6 boilers all going full blast. The main reason the Chinese are building large power stations so quickly one a month at that time is because they are cutting corners ie reduction in balance of plant equipment such as precipt’s and other pollution control equipment required in the West. As it must be assumed it will have a major cost and schedule impact on the build Programme.
    Doug

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I spent 18 months in Shanghai over a 2 year period on new build LNG Carriers. Only time you got a breath of fresh air was during sea trials.
    Place is pollution city 24/7.

13. Likes Doug Hardie, Tony Taylor liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast