Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: British Flag ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: British Flag ship

I know that what you read can be totally false, but one of the reports says she was loaded with steel, if correct, would have impacted the disaster.all of us that went to sea know what weather they would be facing, in the dark, etc . following the link on the post put on by Richard at 6, you can see how busy the shipping is in that area, and from my basic knowledge of rules, the other vessel was on Verity's right, so is stand on vessel ??, stand to be corrected.
    R689823

2. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Daily Express , Huge British Cargo ship sinks in North sea , they even had a photo the Verity.

Sadly the search for the remaining missing crew has been called off. Understandable given the sea temperatures .
    2 rescued alive 1 body recoverred and 4 missing assumed lost.

I wonder what they would call some of the large container ships at sea today.

I suppose this may be reported as Chinese spy ship spotted off the coast of the UK.

Chinese box boat.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith everybody is saying it was a crossing vessels case , if so it was the vessel which has the other on her own starboard side is the give way vessel. But the vessel crossing from starboard to port it is also his duty to maintain his course and speed until safely across , it’s no good people assuming it was a straight case of vessels crossing , depending on course and probably nearest estimated closest to the collision point case it may of even been a case of an overtaking vessel. I would wait until information of courses steered and speeds of vessels before apportioning blame. Cheers JS. PS the stand on vessel the rules also state he should also take action to avert collision if he thinks the other vessel is not going to do so. Forget your Radar assisted collisions a good watch keeper always circumstances permitting always watched the compass bearing of the other vessel this applied to both vessels , you are in trouble if the bearing does not change as you are on a collision course . Basic seamanship to most seamen. The board of Enquiry will be the final answer am sure they can rustle up some seamen who will give a judgement. Myself I wouldn’t be surprised if the basic cause is the reduced manning that ships run around with today. Even Everards must feel the pinch. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th October 2023 at 09:27 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking at that post with the ships converging, it looks like the Verity has changed course towards a port maybe, but the other ship also changed course. It seems that the Verity was avoiding contact, but the other ship was determined to collide.
    Of course it's all sped up so difficult to make out what's really happening.

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#14 If someone asked me what I thought was the best advancement as regards shipping safety on my 50 years on vessels of all types in my period of service, I would say Bridge control where the watchkeeper on the bridge could reduce speed as required . Years ago the junior officer had to call the master and inform the engine room before any action could be taken. Too little and too late in lots of cases, one of the reasons why the master if he had any feeling for others and in a congested shipping area never left the bridge . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #14 If someone asked me what I thought was the best advancement as regards shipping safety on my 50 years on vessels of all types in my period of service, I would say Bridge control where the watchkeeper on the bridge could reduce speed as required . Years ago the junior officer had to call the master and inform the engine room before any action could be taken. Too little and too late in lots of cases, one of the reasons why the master if he had any feeling for others and in a congested shipping area never left the bridge . JS
    I just hope that training has improved these days, as in my experience some on the bridge thought they would get racing car response from the bridge control to the extent where they had the plant going haywire virtually and ER staff had to take control to stabilise the plant. This may not be the case on vessels with smaller more responsive plant (I never had issues with supply vessels for example) but rapid telegraph movements on a very large single boiler steam plant could be hairy for those down below.

9. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The easiest thing to do if on a collision course is to reduce speed . I too spent 24 years on fast diesels the last 18 years driving them , pulling back on the sticks never caused confusion down below, if it did the ship could no way have done its job. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    The Daily Express , Huge British Cargo ship sinks in North sea , they even had a photo the Verity.

Sadly the search for the remaining missing crew has been called off. Understandable given the sea temperatures .
    2 rescued alive 1 body recoverred and 4 missing assumed lost.

I wonder what they would call some of the large container ships at sea today.

I suppose this may be reported as Chinese spy ship spotted off the coast of the UK.

Chinese box boat.jpg
    I would hate to be told to run down and dip the ensign.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The search for the wreck of the Verity has been abandoned as German authorities say there is no hope of finding any survivors.
    Rgds
    J.A
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67204041

13. Thanks Keith Tindell, Tony Taylor thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The search for survivors was called off on the 25th. I would assume if the sunken Verity lies deep enough and is not deemed to be a danger to navigation that will be that, or perhaps the area will be bouyed to alert othe vessels to avoiding the area.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast