Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Icon of the seas

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Icon of the seas

From what I have been able to glean from various documents the vessel must have sufficient 'flotation devices' for all souls on board, I have found no mention of 'on each side' These flotation devices include boats, liferafts and other devices to accommodate people required to evacuate from the vessel. Some lifeboats have a capacity of 300 persons, some liferafts capacity of 4/500 persons, these latter are boarded by chute attached to the vessel, much like a building site chute, but spirals to slow down descent of those traversing downwards. All very well in theory and computer-aided-design (CAD) and dockside situations, but out on the briny in adverse conditions it will a whole different ballgame.

Incidentally there is no mention in the aforesaid documents of which of the 137 genders currently listed by the NHS you have to be, or not to be, to be able to use any of the devices

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've often, on a stroll around the prom deck, had the urge to pull the string on one of those inflatable things, just to see what happens

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Next trip just do it Johnny, we'll come and visit you with a cake, file and hacksaw blade; but at least we'll know how they work!

5. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16 might be well worth going on a cruise just to see the movie Des , how about John Wayne in the fighting Seebees . ( C B s = Construction Brigade) how they went ashore in the Pacific Islands with bulldozers to rebuild the devastation and pulled out the odd flame thrower from down their trouser leg if they came across any nipponese kamikaze”s . Or more to the abandon ship routine , the wartime film made at Ealing studios of the real life action of the tanker which was abandoned and reboarded after being torpedoed with the U-boat lurking in the background waiting for the rescue ship .the movie was called “ Western Approaches” and was supposed to inform the general public about the dangers our merchant seamen were under going. Think it was that film which gave me the first twinges of wanting to go to sea. I was 7. Cheers JS
    PS Think it was the story of the San Demitrious or the way the script writer saw it .JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th October 2023 at 10:53 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The difference between ships lifeboats. I recall an incident while laid up in the Blackwater river. SS&A Iberic and NZS Paparoa. An agreement was concluded to alternate which vessel's lifeboat would be the last of the evening bring back those ashore in West Mersea. This worked out well till one Friday evening when most of the crews of both ships seemed to be ashore. The last lifeboat was the Paparoa's and this is where a problem arose. The Paparoa built in 1944 had four 27 man lifeboats while the Iberic built 1961 had two 56 man lifeboats. The 3rd Mate in charge of the lifeboat refused to move until he had reduced the bodies piling on board to a level he considered safe. Those left ashore had to book in the the hotel for the night, I was lucky I was in the lifeboat.
    Bill.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The rules concerning enough boats on either side of vessel was brought out after the the big disaster between the liner and the iceberg in 1912 or thereabouts . Seems that ruling has maybe been rescinded in later years to suit. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just as long as there is one on the arseend complies with current regs concerning non passenger vessels.
    1214157_81_110281_5JiVZC47Q.jpg All very well when the sea is like a boating lake.

10. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not funny, but I can see a long line of wheelies on the deck waiting to be shoved into the tube, and a big pile on the bottom. Now all this looks nice and cosy but what if the seas are around sixty feet and smashing into those tubes. Pass around those prayer books mister Mate.
    Just a simple job on a Collier on the London river, bringing back a drunken crew, desperately sculling against a fast running tide comes to mind.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just jogged the old grey matter with a bit of trivia about motorised lifeboats. As John remarked that they had a limit and was solely to make sure the other lifeboats where clear and also picking up survivors in the water. Once the fuel for the engine was depleted I recall the rule was to unbolt the engine and toss it over the side to make more room within the boat. Who recalls those glucose lollies that had to be replaced and the old ones given out to anyone that wanted them. I can still taste them even today. Golden rule was? Never interfere with safety gear at any time and was followed to the letter or was on every ship I signed on.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Barley Sugar Les, condensed milk and biscuits. 16 ounces per man. Make them last . The morphine didn’t last in the boats and was too big a target for some so was taken out and carried out to the boats when things got earnest.
    With survivors and one particular one who only survived to reach hospital, at an enquiry I was asked why I didn’t give him an injection of morphine , think I had 3 shots in my cabin , from my cabin to the bridge was at the most 10 feet but was the longest 10 feet I’ve ever seen it might as well have been on the moon I was tied to the bridge and couldn’t leave it was a catch 22 situation .Even if I had of managed to get them put into my hand I very much doubt if I could have filled the syringe from the phial my hands were shaking that much. The ones used in the armed forces during the war and issued to frontline troops were the ideal were disposable loaded triangular aluminium and just jabbed in anywhere through clothing and everything if necessary. Anyhow I gave the only reply I could ,morphine would not have saved his life. A lot of things in theory are laid down, but in practice are useless. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th October 2023 at 04:33 AM.
    R575129

14. Thanks N/A, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast