Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Beijing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Beijing

I am sure a lot of us saw the flooding in Beijing. A new chinese water sport , surfing car races.
    I wonder will they up the anti and do more about climate change. Think more carefully about constructing coal fired power stations etc!
    India also massive flooding , some may say nothing new there then, true but happening more frequently now. Well seeing as they are the worlds greatest polluters along with the USA flooding and forest fires.
    No doubt there will be those who will say no such thing as climate change.

Article last night about ending the production of gas central heating boilers and pushing more on installing Air Heat Pump systems. Funny they only seemed to show heat pumps made in Japan or Korea!!! They are claiming they are still energy efficient at air temps as low as -15 degrees.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Harry Nicholson liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Beijing

There is only 1% of home sufficiently insulated to warrant the use of these heat pumps. Everyone else would be wasting their money as their homes would be uncomfortably cold. Or you could just spend another 10 grand on insulation. Even brand new builds are not up to the insulation standards required to make heat pumps a viable proposition. As for climate change, Earth has experienced climate change in the past without help from humanity. We know about past climates because of evidence left in tree rings, layers of ice in glaciers, ocean sediments, coral reefs, and layers of sedimentary rocks. For example, bubbles of air in glacial ice trap tiny samples of Earth’s atmosphere, giving scientists a history of greenhouse gases that stretches back more than 800,000 years. The chemical make-up of the ice provides clues to the average global temperature.
    epica_temperature.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

According to the man who began the 'Green Peace' movement the hoax of Climate Change is one of the biggest ever fronted to man.
    As he quite rightly points out, without Co2 there would be no oxygen and we would all be rooted then.
    He made the valid point that much of the info put out is of little value as claims of the biggest or worst since records began is a joke.
    France made the point that the recent fires there were the worst on record and claim their records go back to 1950!!!

On my recent travels there was a botanist on one of the Sky News programs.
    He stated that many of the bush fires are natures way of regeneration and having seen that here in Oz I must agree.

You can con half the people all of the time and all of the people half the time.
    But you cannot con all of the people all the time.

James I know you will not agree with this, but that is your choice.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Of course there is climate change, it's always gone on. I just believe we can speed it up a bit, or slow it down. When we see the dates of the last "record" temperatures, then look at each of us has been on the earth, it works out not very long. The older I get, the nearer certain points in history get.
    I saw a thing on the telly the other day, about a historical event in 1875. That seems a long long time ago, but My granddad was born then, and I knew him. There must be members here that can go back knowing much older relatives.
    I also remember the London smog's, and how that affected us all. When we had heavy frost, followed by thick smog, and the frost stayed on the ground for ages. Once the clean air thing came in, it all changed, the heavy frosts would melt by lunchtime, and it was easier walking, without coughing our nuts up.
    I also remember my Granddad telling me about all the gas, smoke, and gunfire, during the first world war. He believed then that it would affect us in later years.
    But, time is short, and change will happen, just as it always has, and will.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many metrology experts state that sea temperatures have risen in the last number of hundreds of even thousands of years since records began.
    But
    The first liquid in glass thermometer was only invented in the mid 17th century and the first temperature scale devised som years later, so how were they able to record sea temperatures before that?
    Records of sea temperature world wide mostly come from merchant and naval ships but I guess that it would only with the advent of steamships that thermometers became common on ships but until the marine metrology society came into being there was, as far as I am aware, there was no body to record and collate sea temperatures taken by vessels and until wireless telegraphy became a requirement that sea temperature records really began to become reliability recorded.
    Brgs
    J.A

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Today I expect they measure sea & earth temperatures from weather satellites. sea temperatures are rising. Maybe my old brain cells are failing but some things do stick in your mind. First time up the Arabian gulf sea temperature in 1977, I remember being amazed when doing the log the sea temp was 30 degrees Abu- Dhabi, just looked at a recent chart for June this year same place Abu Dhabi 32.1 degrees. But no doubt those who do not believe the world oceans and planet are not warming up!!!will remain in denial

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not in denial James, just being realistic and looking at the so called records.
    Current global system of recording all manner of weather records on a global scale only came into being in 1948,
    Prior to that most country had a different way.
    But a simple question for you.

The current climate of UK is said to be temperate.
    That is four seasons, a large range in temperatures and hours of daylight.
    What will it be after climate change comes in??

Singapore, tropical, two seasons one wet the other dry, little change in temp or hours of daylight all year, so what next.??

Then there are sub tropical, sub arctic, arctic, Mediterranean and afew others,
    Can you tell me what they will change to??
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is well known that all living creatures on this planet produce o2 as methane. and all that decomposes also produces Methane.

In 1958 a German scientist began to track Co2 levels across the globe.
    He concluded that in the northern hemisphere there was more green life than in the south.
    The levels of Co2 he discovered see sawed between seasons.
    In summer when trees and plants were in full bloom Co2 levels fell, but in winter when many were dormant levels rose.
    Looking at the chart from 1958 to now shows an increase in levels.
    But in 1958 world population was less than two billion, by 1980 up to 4 and now sits at about 8 and rising.
    Man claims he is reducing Co2 levels through technology and new concepts such as renewable energy.
    So if this is true why are Co2 levels continuing to rise?
    Could it be from increase in population and a similar increase in live stock to feed them?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Thanks j.sabourn, Johnny Kieran thanked for this post
    Likes vic mcclymont, Johnny Kieran liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

# 8 . According to scientific research the animals including human ones bear no resemblance to those of the past and have taken tens of thousands of years to adjust to weather, climate or any other blockage as put in their way. The same will happen again , will be the luck of the cards to get rid of the human ratbags and the job goes to a koala bear or some animal with more sense, most scientists are agreeable that all life came from the sea , there was nowhere else it could have come from as we know it. God only knows how many Ice Ages the world has been through, plus of course the other stages Iron , Steel, and even plastic still waiting to be knighted. JS…
    There is only one thing to consider when people spout about climate change do they know for a fact that the same thing weather wise hasn’t consistently done so , even before man was allowed to perpetuate himself and is probably the most bigoted animal on earth until something else turns up sometime in the millenniums of the future. To put oneself in the right aspect about the size and scheme of things just consider the sun is 240 times bigger than the earth , and the Sun is the smallest star in our Universe. Cheers JS .
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th August 2023 at 07:40 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Not in denial James, just being realistic and looking at the so called records.
    Current global system of recording all manner of weather records on a global scale only came into being in 1948,
    Prior to that most country had a different way.
    But a simple question for you.

The current climate of UK is said to be temperate.
    That is four seasons, a large range in temperatures and hours of daylight.
    What will it be after climate change comes in??

Singapore, tropical, two seasons one wet the other dry, little change in temp or hours of daylight all year, so what next.??

Then there are sub tropical, sub arctic, arctic, Mediterranean and afew others,
    Can you tell me what they will change to??
    Can I tell you what the change will be NO. But fact is the world is warming up. Plankton migrating to cooler climates north and south to the Artic and antartic regions. Here is an interesting video about the great barrier reef.https://youtu.be/ECOlMi331xQ

The biggest cause of climate change is man , there is not denying that. As you say the world population is increasing more people needs more livestock means more Methane which as a gas contains no O2, CH4 = 1 molecule of carbon H4 =4 molecules of hydrogen. Also no CO2 no planet. Plants need CO2 which causes photosynthesis. It is all about balance. The way we are generating green house gases caused by life style, cars , lorries burning fossel fuels all generating pollution. Keep it up and by by palnet. Bush fires a way of creating forest regeneration. No disputing that. What is not in dispute is they are occurring more and more frequently. It may be caused by arson or the intense rise in global temperatures. Hawaii look at what has just occurred there 67 dead .Mediterranean Wildfires yes we have always had them but nothing like the scale we have seen this summer. All over the area from North Africa through Europe.
    A major problem is the selfishness of those who do not accept the need to change there life styles, to much I am alright jack or to be politically correct Jack(e/ass)

15. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast