Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Oppenhiemer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Oppenhiemer

There is article in the M. O. S. About Oppenhiemer the man and the movie.
    True to form the yanks are thr hero's developing the atom bomb us Brits played as usual a bit part.
    Chadwick a Brit 80had been working on the bomb in the UK since 1941, he had carried out the theoritical work, all that was required was th funds to build the bomb. The US were nowhere near as advanced as the UK.
    By 1944 the US were concerned that the Nazis were developing one, not true.
    The US were given copies of Chadwick's papers and we're amazed advanced the U.K. was.
    Oppenhiemer got all the glory but he was in fact only the Assistant.
    Vic
    R879855

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Oppenhiemer

Thankfully we have never had to use it!!! The USA were always going to punish Japan. Fingers crossed we never will.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hitler was very close to getting it, His was codenamed the Heavy water project and from Norwegian territory.
    I have no doubt he would have used on the uk if had been given a bit longer. He already had prototype jet aircraft in the air. The USA had every right to use , the Japanese were given the chance to put their hands in the air and after a couple of samples their Emperor did so. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have found out from family that my uncle, who was my mothers sisters husband worked on the atomic bomb in the UK during the war. His wife my aunt and my two little girl cousins where killed in the bombing of Swansea, their house got a direct hit from a five hundred pound bomb.
    When he died the Queen sent a black coach drawn by four black horses for his funereal and for some reason only men were allowed to attend. I have a clipping from a newspaper one of my cousin's sent me.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des during the war as kids we used to make bombs . All it took was saltpetre which could buy in chemists , charcoal which could make yourself , and sulphur again the chemist.all mixed together and packed into a toilet roll cardboard insert. A piece of string for a fuse , and one lucifer light the lucifer and the fuse and run like hell. Maybe I missed my vocation . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John.
    We used to get some carbide put it in a tin; spit in the tin slap the lid on and throw it under a passing bus, the run like hell as the bus stops and the conductor looks for the none existent flat tire. Future Welsh Jihadists.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A real crummy one as kids was to get a stick look for a piece of dogs dirt , rub the end of the stick through it . Look for a convenient target preferably smaller than yourself and say to him here’s a stick for you , watch the expression on his face and get ready to run , he’s either going to murder you or burst into tears . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    A real crummy one as kids was to get a stick look for a piece of dogs dirt , rub the end of the stick through it . Look for a convenient target preferably smaller than yourself and say to him here’s a stick for you , watch the expression on his face and get ready to run , he’s either going to murder you or burst into tears . JS
    #7 A variation on that theme John, in my small village we only had three shops, a co-op, tiny newsagent and a standalone post office which was more or less a converted single storey garage, which at night was secured by wooden boards over the windows and single door secured in place by a steel flat bar located in slots at each end and a large padlock in the middle. Every night at the same time the village copper came round and checked the premises and finished off by gripping the padlocks and giving them a tug. The local teddy boys used to hang around over the road where there was a couple of park benches. On occasion they would get a stick with some dog cr-p on (very common in those days) and smear it up the back of said padlocks, then retire over the road to wait for Ken the cop to turn up.

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jeez, seems like I weren't too bad a kid afterall, I only got blamed for Hitler bombing us out three times, and that ain't been proved yet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8 A confrontation I witnessed between 2 teddy boys and a young police officer. Police officer to one of the teds, Hey son do your toes reach the end of those winklepickers , nah said the ted , does your head go to the top of your helmet . JS
    R575129

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast