Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Electric Cars.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Electric Cars.

Electric car owners face rising insurance bills as fears grow that E. V'S in a collision can catch fire.
    Damaged E'Vs to be kept at least 15 metres from othe cars in a garage.
    Vic
    R879855

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Electric Cars.

Bloke next door reckons his EV is dearer to fill up if he has to go to a garage than his petrol car.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone remember the Esdell car? or a name like that, was supposed to be the car of the future ended up a dud. I think the Electric car is going to go the same way in it's present design it is incapable of distance driving which many people do these days especially here in Aus.
    In my N.M.R.A book a bloke asks what happens when you are hundreds of miles into the bush and find that the service point has broken down, you can't go to your boot and get a can of electricity out.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes vic mcclymont, James Curry liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting article in the D. M. about Electric vehicles.
    1. residual resale value low due to battery replacement cost.
    2. On average you need to travel some 70,000 miles before you become net zero.
    3. E. V. 's produce as much if not more particulates as a diesel, due to the heavy load on the tyres..
    4. It takes some 250 tons of mined ore to produce an E. V. battery.
    5. It costs more to charge the battery than it does to fill the tank up.
    Not as environmentally friendly as made out.
    Vic
    R879855

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was having the rear discs replaced on my Kona on Wednesday they were flagged up on the cars 1st MOT as possible failure. Bit peed off about that as the car only has 34000 miles on the clock so £100+ expense I was not expecting. Talkig to the salesman he was asking me if I was ready for a change. There is a new Kona model due in 6 months and they were doing pre orders . So while waiting thought I would let him do the talk. New , petrol only non hybrid start price £24000. so he says it would cost me £14000 to cahnge. I burst out laughing. I asked him if he was taking the pis-. You have a same model Kona there on your forecourt same age and 25,000 more miles than mine at £14295 and you are basically offering me £10,000 on mine. Ah!!! lets just see if I can do a bit better on the trade in allowance value , much sucking of breath and comes back with a revised figure £12,500.
    No thanks not interested. I have never liked the Kona anyway, not a bad car but just find the ride a bit firm. Anyway told him I will be changing in about 6 months and looking at the Dacia duster or the Sandero stepway. Dacia have quoted me £12700 against a duster so to change will be about £5000. He laughs a Dacia !!!! well seeing as it is nearly £10,000 than an equavilant Kona makes economic sense to me. Yes but we offer a 5 years warranty Dacia is only 3, great so you are telling me that the replacement rear discs will be done under warranty Ah!!! no so much for the 5 years warranty then.
    Anyway back to EV cars I still think they are a con job and the polloution mining must cause and the need for creating more infrastructure they can keep there EV's
    Dacia are introducing into the UK the Dacia Spring there EV. It has been onsale in Europe since 2021 the UK will get an upgraded model in 2024 the expected cost will be just under £18,000 against the near £30,000 for equavanliant type models. Watch the prices tumble once that arrives. Still they do not interest me.

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    I was having the rear discs replaced on my Kona on Wednesday they were flagged up on the cars 1st MOT as possible failure. Bit peed off about that as the car only has 34000 miles on the clock so £100+ expense I was not expecting. Talkig to the salesman he was asking me if I was ready for a change. There is a new Kona model due in 6 months and they were doing pre orders . So while waiting thought I would let him do the talk. New , petrol only non hybrid start price £24000. so he says it would cost me £14000 to cahnge. I burst out laughing. I asked him if he was taking the pis-. You have a same model Kona there on your forecourt same age and 25,000 more miles than mine at £14295 and you are basically offering me £10,000 on mine. Ah!!! lets just see if I can do a bit better on the trade in allowance value , much sucking of breath and comes back with a revised figure £12,500.
    No thanks not interested. I have never liked the Kona anyway, not a bad car but just find the ride a bit firm. Anyway told him I will be changing in about 6 months and looking at the Dacia duster or the Sandero stepway. Dacia have quoted me £12700 against a duster so to change will be about £5000. He laughs a Dacia !!!! well seeing as it is nearly £10,000 than an equavilant Kona makes economic sense to me. Yes but we offer a 5 years warranty Dacia is only 3, great so you are telling me that the replacement rear discs will be done under warranty Ah!!! no so much for the 5 years warranty then.
    Anyway back to EV cars I still think they are a con job and the polloution mining must cause and the need for creating more infrastructure they can keep there EV's
    Dacia are introducing into the UK the Dacia Spring there EV. It has been onsale in Europe since 2021 the UK will get an upgraded model in 2024 the expected cost will be just under £18,000 against the near £30,000 for equavanliant type models. Watch the prices tumble once that arrives. Still they do not interest me.
    just read an article about electric v petrol car, apparently due to extra cost of elec initially set against fuel saving, break even is about ten years.
    Buy something you really like now, and enjoy it while you can, I dont think I have ten years to check it out

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tony think the wife would have something to say if I rolled up in Aston Martin lol. I have my mobility scooter on order and my bus pass in my wallet. I am more or less done with driving the wife is my chauffeur these days.

10. Likes Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon, Tony Martin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Tony think the wife would have something to say if I rolled up in Aston Martin lol. I have my mobility scooter on order and my bus pass in my wallet. I am more or less done with driving the wife is my chauffeur these days.
    Just been loaned an Audi R8 - 5.2LTR V10 engine to take my grandson to his school prom on Monday. Awesome performance but would not like to travel far in it. It is basically a Lamborghini with an Audi badge on it, might be a supercar but definitely not for me. need a hoist to get out of it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des may I recommend a suitable psychiatric home for your wandering, short on power, outback driver. Honestly, the garbage spouted about new technology never ceases to amaze me. I have had two electric and one hybrid car (current vehicle is a Mini EV). In NZ there are charging stations all over, some provide free charging. I charge mine at home. If I go any distance my nav' map has the locations of chargers installed. In real distance covered I plan my charging around morning tea break, lunch and mid afternoon. I have covered several thousand Ks this way without range anxiety. Toyota have been developing high tec' batteries for its venture into full EV cars which will give huge ranges compared to todays crop of vehicles. Hey Des, remember when wind and steam powered our ships.:-))

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, J Gowers liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Might agree in some ways to the Discussions on Electric Vehicles, some good and some not so good (This regarding the Works etc of them) But all i have to say on this is that in my humble opinion it will still be a long time before any big change is nade regarding the EV, replacing the good old Petrol Engine !
    As regards having a fairly good range in use in New Zealand, nay be correct , but here is Aussie one would need a considerable Lage and Extra Heavy Duty Battery to try and get the Mileages that some Travel her! This Country aint built for E Vehicles yet!!

For me , well at this point would not go near an EV , no Siree not for me! PS You may be lucky in NZ to have so many Charging Points too, not so here !
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast