Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Greece boat disaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Greece boat disaster

Johnny, I was carrying illegal stuff into France for years and some of my french neighbours would not believe it was British Cheese, Irish beef and welsh lamb they were eating.
    I will leave the politics to Thomas & Co obviously they missed the missive from Brian the other day.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #9
    good afternoon, your correct the damage that those left wing ideological fools whom consider themselves our superiors will never be able to be repaird,The worst part about it is that the whole african continent is falling apart with war and corruption, as the africans rush to the west for something for nothing, instead of re-building what they already have.
    as for the chinese they are holders of the largest american dollar debt and i believe its in trillions, apart from the disrespect shown by america, and they will not take the slight from the americans kindly, But times are changing and when the world sees america glorifiying the rainbow flag alongside the stars and stripes what is that doing to their image abroard.
    tom

4. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Marian Gray Guest

[QUOTE=James Curry;
    I will leave the politics to Thomas & Co obviously they missed the missive from Brian the other day.[/QUOTE]

How ironic, this thread you started will now be deleted...... own goal I believe

6. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Gray View Post
    How ironic, this thread you started will now be deleted...... own goal I believe
    The sentence and its like at sea is also known as brown nosing

8. Thanks thomas michael, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was well reported here on our news in Oz.
    One of the survivors was interviewed and he claimed there were well over 5600 on board.
    He also said his brother attempted to stop him going but said he was told by the person organizing the sail that he would be forced to board if he did not a gree???
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In August 2001 a Norwegian Cargo vessel the Tampa rescued a number of refugees mainly Afghans bound for Australia from Indonesia off a sinking fishing, some say it was scuttled. the captain offered to return them to Indonesia they refused to go back and insisted on being taken to Australia, the Australian government refused to take them, that left the Captain in an unenviable position as the refugees greatly outnumbered his crew, eventually a compromise was agreed the ship would proceed to Christmas Island which then was part of Australia, during the time it took the Tampa to get to Christmas Island the Australian government annexed it so when the refugees landed unknown to them they were not in Australia.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remember that one Alan.JS
    R575129

13. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    # 2 probably all rigged before they left port John I wonder what any master faced with a Lloyd’s open form , and if did succeed , would know it wasn’t going to be paid. Easier for the illegal immigrant ship to blow off a ships side valve and declare himself a survivor also.The bridle is probably a dummy to fool his passengers they would get a tow into port . Cheers JS
    Well John , there was a rumour ( and as far as I'm aware , only a rumour ) that one of the coastguard vessels briefly got a line on board
    with the intention to tow. Did this perhaps go wrong ?. If the bridle is not set up correctly , this could do more harm than good.

15. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can’t see the picture very clearly but looks to me could be the two mooring lines are just fastened to the anchor itself, all the hard work still remaining to hang the anchor off, any vessel wanting to grab the anchor chain unless a professional tug with sufficient workable deck space could do it but a normal cargo ship would have problems , apart from the sited winches and towing winch , maybe they had phoned ahead in advance , I would suggest Cories tugs on the Tyne so hope they phoned early enough . Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't think that's a towing pennant, enlarge it and you will see that it passes through a automobile tyre acting as a bow fender.
    Rgds
    J.A

18. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast