Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Extinction Rebellion

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Extinction Rebellion

What went wrong with the drainpipe shorts John ?
    If couldn’t find in the shops could of always made do by susidizing a pair of passion killers , maybe the girl friends knickers with elastic in the legs.? JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 31st May 2023 at 07:00 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Johno. I formed a sort of skiffle group on the Athlone Castle. We had a guitar, washboard with thimbles on the fingers, tea chest bassist, and me on the trumpet. we found a door into an empty hold and used to go down there to practice, hard to play the trumpet in the crews accommodation.

On the way up the coast, we found a bar in Capetown that would hire us for our numbers, paid with beer. The word got around the crew and I found out they all planned to show up with half of lemons and suck on them in front of me while I played. My big solo number was "Cherry pink and apple blossom time". Impossible to play a brass instrument with someone sucking on a lemon and pulling faces and the lemon's aroma, the player gets too much spit in his mouth....barstewards, our breakthrough to the big time ruined and it was back to the hold.

Cheers, Rodders
    Last edited by Rodney Mills; 31st May 2023 at 03:34 PM.
    Rodney David Richard Mills
    R602188 Gravesend

3. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was always one guy at least on any ship with some kind of musical instrument, being able to play was a different story.
    But here in Oz a well known rock band of the 60's and 70's ACDC was made up of four lads who met up on a migrant ship on the way to Oz.

But we did on one voyage on the Windsor have a guitar player who could actually sing very well, but only did the one voyage.

Tommy Steel began life as a Cunard steward on the Mary.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Mills View Post
    Johno. I formed a sort of skiffle group on the Athlone Castle. We had a guitar, washboard with thimbles on the fingers, tea chest bassist, and me on the trumpet. we found a door into an empty hold and used to go down there to practice, hard to play the trumpet in the crews accommodation.

On the way up the coast, we found a bar in Capetown that would hire us for our numbers, paid with beer. The word got around the crew and I found out they all planned to show up with half of lemons and suck on them in front of me while I played. My big solo number was "Cherry pink and apple blossom time". Impossible to play a brass instrument with someone sucking on a lemon and pulling faces and the lemon's aroma, the player gets too much spit in his mouth....barstewards, our breakthrough to the big time ruined and it was back to the hold.

Cheers, Rodders
    What Year was that on the Athlone Castle Rodders, i ask as i recall a Group on that Ship. But so long ago cant recall the name ! I am talking of 1963/4
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2