Likes (Received)

Default Re: Just stop Oil

We have not got a Labour government !!!!yet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All the political parties are tarred with the same brush. Whoever you vote for will still continue down the green net zero pipe dream. It will cost us all dearly. The next election will still bring us the same woke/green political agenda. We do not have the guts to vote in a completely new party who will take on the immigrant problem or the net zero obsessed zealots.
    France in the early 80's after the 79 oil price escalation decided to generate power from Nuclear. They are now net exporters to the tune of Billions of profit per year.
    Our limp wristed politicians over the years have never wished to follow the French governments example. We are now paying the price.

Marian Gray Guest

There are some in the Conservative Party Mike who have sought to push through fracking but have been thwarted by the usual lily-livered wimps. Not sure about the Reform Party Policy who I may choose on my next vote.
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 1st June 2023 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree Marian, i am a floating voter, no allegiance to any party, will se what transpires this next year. Nice to see all systems *go* again, kt
    R689823

5. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

James, we know them as Toorak Tractors, I have one.
    A 2004 Diesel Land Rover Discovery.
    But with distances such as we have here you need vehicles that will take the strain.
    We go every Sunday somewhere and the drive can be from 100 klm up to 500klm there and back.
    Have done a couple of 600 klm ones over the years.
    Yes they may not be suited for UK but it is a question of horses for courses.

One well respected man here, recently retired CEO of a major power producing system, Snowy river Dam, told the media it could take as long as 8 decades for the world to reach, id ever, zero emissions.
    While we wait for that we continue to use coal, gas LPG and still in many countries burn wood to heat and cook.

Latest from these loonies, your household fridge is producing up to 20% of all Co2, but offer no alternative just saying we have to find another way.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Obvious way John is for the dumb bats is to practice birth control. China tried it a few years ago and were mocked wth abuse by the same dumb bats probably because they hadn’t thought of it first. The United Nations makes me laugh , the only thing united about them is that they all agree to disagree. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John the Ref: to Chelsea Tractor,
    Chelsea tractor was coined by environmentalists to reflect the popularity of four-wheel drive vehicles with middle-class families living in wealthy areas. They are often used by a yummy mummy to take her little darling Porcha to school which is maybe a 500yards down the road. She may carry on after the school run to visit her Manicurist or even the gym to see her personal trainer.

Being unfair here the state of the UK roads with Pot Holes you could actually do with an all terrain vehicle.battle.jpg

10. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm depressed by the comments on here about the Just Stop Oil group. I don't agree with everything they do but they are just people who want a future for themselves and their children. The essential recognition that we have to live sustainably at some point is the simplest form of logic imaginable. Living unsustainably is by definition hopeless. That was obvious to me when I was 8 years old and asked my mum where, if our population kept growing, would the gorillas live? I think the obsesson with battery electric vehicles is misguided and not as green as its advocates imagine. We are still dealing in finite resources like lithium; 80% of known reserves now controlled by the Chinese as if there aren't enough problems. The internal combustion engine is a flexible device that can run on all kinds of fuels and the government should let all technologies evolve to address environmental problems. I see 6 EU countries including Germany and Italy have refused to sign up to the 2035 end of ICE date. They want an opportunity to develop clean fuels and engines. Rubbishing eco protestors just makes us look like we don't care about the earth and risks inviting a charge of selfishness. The debate around the environment is a complex one and should embrace all of humanity. I suspect that ultimate answer is population control as the planet is only the same size as it ever was. Ian Mutch ex P&O general cargo division 3rd mate

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Similar here in Oz with the 'Tractors'.

We have some EV here but small numbers mainly used by town persons.

But here is something I never thought of.
    For Oz to become a total carbon free state, not actually possible, then we would need to build ten times the amount of solar and wind we currently have.
    It could be built in arears away from the suburban regions.

Currently we build about 400 to500 kilometers of high level power lines each year.
    To suit the new amount of wind and solar will require some 10,000 kilometers of lines.
    That though would only be enough for the current population, not that of ten years time.

The world is now like the dog chasing it's tail, going nowhere on this one.
    One of our senior scientists has now said that the future of the EV is doubtful, too many other options coming on stream that will not require all the mining and other practices needed for the EV.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 7th June 2023 at 06:43 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Johnny Kieran, thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Public transport is the answer Trams Trains and now hyrogen buses are appearing on UK roads. Another answer is to encourage car sharing for the run to work, Create more Park and Ride facilities. At least it will be reducing emissions and improve air quality. Not perfect but surely has to be better than what we have now. Is it really necessary to do the school run. Most kids say going to schoolA will live within a couple of miles of school A so get a school bus. Has to be better than say 250 cars turning up each school day to drop or collect Precious who I would imagine rather have a bit of fun walking home with their school chums. Just think they can text to each other rather than talk even though they are beside each other

16. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast