Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Just stop Oil

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Just stop Oil

Just for interest this
    As there is question on Lithium, i am an Investor in Lithium Stocks, and have afew different ones. But just to say that Lithium has its best Sources in Nevada thus far, yes there are many other places but the Quantity and Mining is not as great!
    So Nevada is the place !!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Destruction of batteries, and there will be millions in time, and currently solar Panels for which there is no recycling program will release just as many emission as as current fuels.
    Yes oil will eventually run out and there is need for replacement, but it will be there in Hydrogen'
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep, got my 2nd mates in Newcastle after attending that luxurious establishment in Summerhill Tce, May/June 1959. Was never at sea with Shell, worked in various markets ashore with Shell Mex & BP then She’ll UK. All my seagoing,8 years, was with Common Bros. Various Border tankers, Newbrough, Waziristan, Kazimah, ( Kuwait flag but Commons managed & crewed ) Regreted what I considered “ wasted years “ when trying to get a job ashore, but would not have changed anything in retrospect, happy days.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Missed you by the best part of two years then was there in 1957 , returned for mates in 1960 , when I came ashore for Masters both brothers were dead , so had to go to South Shields. When the lecturer or one of them was going through by pedigree he was saying you will have done this lecture and that lecture when here before , I said No , I was at Nellists . He seemed to lose a lot of interest. I went to a total of about three lectures and finished up going to none , got a bunch of old exam papers and sat in the library going through them , after the dole finished put my papers in , in 1963 went up and got it , came back to the College and told them would not be in as had got it. They said who are you.? Where have you been , I said the library , don’t think they were amused . Cheers JS

Tony Taylor ...Tony my cousin Bill Sabourn was lecturing then in Marine Engineering were you at the College then ? I had to go and see him before the day of the engineering knowledge paper. He gave me a rather large file on engineering , and I said you don’t expect me to assimilate this lot over night do you. Of course not he said you should have started a year ago , just pick out one topic cross your fingers toes and anything else you can cross and pray to the Almighty you have guessed right. So I chose the easiest . Boiler Mountings . And guessed right or wouldn’t be sitting here now. I was an expert on salonometer cocks and others for the examiner. Cheers JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th May 2023 at 07:57 AM.
    R575129

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Missed you by the best part of two years thenThey said who are you.? Where have you been , I said the library , don’t think they were amused . Cheers JS

Tony Taylor ...Tony my cousin Bill Sabourn was lecturing then in Marine Engineering were you at the College then ? I had to go and see him before the day of the engineering knowledge paper. He gave me a rather large file on engineering , and I said you don’t expect me to assimilate this lot over night do you. Of course not he said you should have started a year ago , just pick out one topic cross your fingers toes and anything else you can cross and pray to the Almighty you have guessed right. So I chose the easiest . Boiler Mountings . And guessed right or wouldn’t be sitting here now. I was an expert on salonometer cocks and others for the examiner. Cheers JS...
    Yes I knew him, from 65 - 67 then 68 -69 and later when doing tickets. Heat engines etc, naval arch. plant workshops. Highly respected by all, could control a bunch of often boisterous young men without ever raising his voice. Had a knack for explaining things that were causing me some issues (refrigeration comes to mind, he explained it to me and it was like turning on a light, all of a sudden it clicked and that was it - no more issues on that score).
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 16th May 2023 at 08:05 PM.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Just for interest this
    As there is question on Lithium, i am an Investor in Lithium Stocks, and have afew different ones. But just to say that Lithium has its best Sources in Nevada thus far, yes there are many other places but the Quantity and Mining is not as great!
    So Nevada is the place !!
    They have recently discovered it in Cornwall

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You will see by the dates I didn’t,t really apply myself to my studies. I started studying for 2nd mates in Hull, parents lived there then, 3 of us, Steve Cook,( Ellermans) Ray Stillings (Huntings) & myself lived close together and vowed to study till 9.00pm before walking down to the pub, The Broad Highway( demolished). 9.00pm soon became 8.00pm etc. What with the attractions of The Merchant Navy Club in Hull plus other establishments I soon ran out of time & had to return to sea, although I did manage to find time to get my orals. Did a couple of trips to get some money before deciding to stay at my girlfriends house in Gosforth and go to Nellists. Pub of choice in Newcastle being Duke of Wellington opposite the Empire, regular sessions upstairs after Saturday morning signals at Nellists. The Sink, downstairs in the Eldon Grill was another favourite, I married the girlfriend in 59 by the way and upon the arrival of our son in 60 decided that was it with going away. Leaving wife, babe in arms crying in the doorway as I got in the taxi for the airport to fly to Rotterdam was too much.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The back lane next to he Duke of Wellington led down to Myers wholesale shop where my future wife worked. Which she immediately gave up when she married me. So I always say I took her out of slavery .JS.better get back to the batteries .
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th May 2023 at 09:13 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think my knackered memory is taking over again. The pub opposite the Empire we frequented was The Cumberland Arms. There was a lane ran through to I think Nun St. Bowers fish and chip cafe was there. God, old age, what,s it like, living in the past.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its a lot more comfortable living in the past, than where we all are now, aches and pains tablets et etc.
    R689823

18. Thanks Bill Morrison thanked for this post
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast