Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Just stop Oil

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Just stop Oil

Love the sound of rain on a tin roof. Most metal roofs are now 'Metalbond' which has a high quality coating which almost prevents corrosion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, unless you were at sea at the time you could have seen the coronation in 53, I did on a 12 inch TV.

Lived in Maida Vale London for a couple of years.
    All terraced Victorian three Storey houses set out as bed sit land. ERch terrace being of around about 50 houses.
    There is no way any one could possibly charge a vehicle from them, and in London there are thousands of such properties.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Likes N/A, Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don’t think we had a tv in 1953, no radio or telephone either. I bought my mother’s first TV and washing machine , the radio was a hired one until got time to buy one. The first phone in my mothers house was shortly after my younger brother started work and he bought as needed it for work. He is 16 years younger than me. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have lived in a bungalow for the last 50 years, i do know that if you live in a property with stairs, they will beat you in the end, and yes, it is possible to get a stair lift, but i am very happy in my bungalow, but the big thing for me it is Detached !!!, so no noise from a neighbour. when i was in the fire service, living in a semi detached house, my neighbour had a party most weekends, and the music from them was deafening. i had to go round one Sunday morning and read his history to him, unfortunately he was my boss at work. I swore then that i would sooner live in a caravan than live like that again. My only problem now is the garden is too big for me at 82, so i get a contractor in to do it.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Don’t think we had a tv in 1953, no radio or telephone either. I bought my mother’s first TV and washing machine , the radio was a hired one until got time to buy one. The first phone in my mothers house was shortly after my younger brother started work and he bought as needed it for work. He is 16 years younger than me. JS
    In around 52/53 in Hull most TV receiver systems were on a system called Redifussion where no external aerial was required but you had one on top of the TV, the TV was wired into a main system somewhere in central Hull. The TV had to be near a window and the control box was on the window sill with three positions 'off' 'A' (BBC) and 'B' another channel

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Yet another Just Stop Oil protest in London as people trying to get to work and school this morning.

One of the protesters adressed the rally.

Do you think someone needs to tell her about the birds & the Bees

She added: “I am very angry.”

Addressing the public, Just Stop Oil activist Sophie, 30, said the protest is “the scariest thing” she has done.

“I don’t want to be here,” she said.

“This is the scariest thing I’ve ever done but I am terrified. I’m just an ordinary person.”

She said she marched because she wants to have children.

She said: “But how can I bring a child into this world when the Government are not safeguarding our future?

I wonder does she know that buying a gallon of unleaded petrol for the car she likely travelled in is not the reason she cannot have children. At the age of 30 and coming out with that rubbish, perhaps it is just as well she has no kids yet!!!
    I think the birds and the bees are what she is trying to protect James. I'm not convinced that the stop oil movement is 100% correct and we certainly can't stop oil overnight but the broader issue of environmental concern she is championing is entirely legitimate and decades overdue . When I was at sea as a third mate I got very stroppy about us pumping bilges into the ocean and collected a lot of grief from others who told me tht fish and sea birds didn't pay their wages. I thought that attitude had died out long ago but apparently not. The problem with holding the environment and those who try and defend it in contempt is that it's whre we live.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#26 Vehicles going about their legitimate business at various speeds, pump out less toxic fumes than those stationery in situations caused by those sitting in roads, and also they are not the brightest people as they recently invaded a E-F1 track to stop all the polluting cars racing. E-F1 is an all electric car event.

But each to his own!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mutch View Post
    I think the birds and the bees are what she is trying to protect James. I'm not convinced that the stop oil movement is 100% correct and we certainly can't stop oil overnight but the broader issue of environmental concern she is championing is entirely legitimate and decades overdue . When I was at sea as a third mate I got very stroppy about us pumping bilges into the ocean and collected a lot of grief from others who told me tht fish and sea birds didn't pay their wages. I thought that attitude had died out long ago but apparently not. The problem with holding the environment and those who try and defend it in contempt is that it's whre we live.
    I am not against Just Stop Oil , I am against how they behave and protest. The lady I mentioned looked and sounded to me as if she had underlying issues. Is it right that these protesters prevent people getting to work on time ? As regards the school run can little Johnny not walk to school. It was always part of the fun going to school and meeting up with your mates either walking or at times getting a bus. Not many fat kids in my day maybe we got a lot more exercise. But I suppose mummy wants to pose in her Chelsea Tractor.
    Concerning pumping bilges at sea, cannot remember being on a ship that did not have an oily water seperator yes some assholes had a magic pipe fitted and many a C/Off & Pumpman did manged to pump dirty ballast overboard. B est thing to happen to tankers was segrgated ballast. Ship owners put pressure on C/Engs not to use a slop barge for bilges.

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I apologise if this question has already been asked but ...

Where will all those used batteries that powered all the EVs around the world be "stored" after their useful life ceases???

I put this question to my neighbour who drives a Porsche driven solely by batteries.

His response was a. he didn't know, and in 25 years time b. he didn't care as he'd be 6 feet under!!

So, where will the 10 million or so batteries be buried?
    In the oceans?
    In caves?
    Under the surface of the earth in each country?

Are we talking pollution on a grand scale here ... or are governments just ignoring this fact??!
    I haven't put this question to a Just Stop Oil beautician yet!!

12. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The attached photo is a french bone yard for what they called City cars.They are available to rent by the hour . Certainly in Bordeaux that was the case. My son lives and works in Bordeaux. I cannot remember what it cost. It sounded reasonable he said. He also said the reasonable went out the window as the meter kept running when you were stopped in traffic. Anyone familiar with Bordeaux traffic will know you spend more time stuck in traffic than you do moving. There was an article about the disposal of these older cars. They are parked up in Fields waiting for disposal. Problem is the battery packs are split is many and the gel etc!! is leaking into the ground. Another problem is no one wants to carryout the work to scrap them because of environmental impact. Oh dear EV 's will help save the planet, yes bet they will. cars-france.jpg

14. Thanks Douglas Bay thanked for this post
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast