Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Just stop Oil

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Just stop Oil

Another thing wth tiles depending how close you live to the sea , depends on the securing of the tiles . I built 600 metres off the beach of the Indian Ocean so just about every 3rd tile had to be screwed down .If had of had wood beams a nail would of done the job. However I preferred to be ant free. The snakes were quite welcome , you always knew they were on the move when the frogs were chirping away ,no frogs and the snakes had probably eaten them so was best to keep looking over your shoulder., and watch where you put you feet until I got the lawn cut. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th May 2023 at 01:26 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the reasons for the big change from tiles to tin roofs here in Aus was the heat, tiles keep their heat most of the night, tin cools down just about as soon as the sun goes down, and many people like the sound of rain on the roof, which you can't get with a tile.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

3. Likes j.sabourn, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Within a bout a 20 klm radius of where we live there are about 40 new estates being built.
    All now with Colorbond roofs, mainly as there is a shortage of tilers and fitting metal roof is a lot easier.
    No risk either of the ridge tiles in need of repointing or being blown off in a gale.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry if we have upset you James Curry, but a large proportion of the UK and OZ populations live n medium and high density areas. A lot of councils encourage this to save on costs of extending power, water sewage and telephone services.
    Inplaces like Melbourne, cheap housing for lthe less well off is supplied in highrise, high density blocks of flats.

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    One of the reasons for the big change from tiles to tin roofs here in Aus was the heat, tiles keep their heat most of the night, tin cools down just about as soon as the sun goes down, and many people like the sound of rain on the roof, which you can't get with a tile.
    Des
    When I was in Perth in 09, there was a big storm which included golf ball size hailstones hammering down, they wrecked millions of dollars worth of cars, shredded all the foliage off the trees, injured people and then subsided into torrential rain which caused flash floods, I saw people walking up to their knees in water after just 10 minutes of it. Just wondered how many of the metal roof owners were deafened.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#14. It amazed me when I first came here to live where a double story house was considered by some to be a sign of being one up on their neighbours . A single storied residence to me was a much better deal especially with all the land available at the time. Who the heck wants to trek upstairs all the time to go to bed , When you look around today at all the new buildings it is obvious that the double stories now being built is because of the size of the land they have to build on. Nearly reminds me of the old semi detached of the UK. The days of the normal quarter acre block is nearly gone today . JS
    R575129

10. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wood View Post
    Sorry if we have upset you James Curry, but a large proportion of the UK and OZ populations live n medium and high density areas. A lot of councils encourage this to save on costs of extending power, water sewage and telephone services.
    Inplaces like Melbourne, cheap housing for lthe less well off is supplied in highrise, high density blocks of flats.
    The high rise blocks in the UK in a lot of areas are coming down, people do not want to live in them. They were only ever to be a quick fix for the housing shortage. So don't be worrying about upsetting me, I am enjoying living in my country manor
    Last edited by James Curry; 13th May 2023 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I lived in a high rise block in Barking, but it was demolished and replaced by houses. I still can't see how charging points can be installed in the streets around there, and it's not as bad as up the road in the Becton and East Ham areas. Glad to say we moved out into Essex many years ago.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John S.
    We watch a program called Escape to the Country, from the UK, and it always makes us smile when most people shown a bungalow wont touch it, even some who are old, we had a two story in NZ, but that is the only one with stairs to climb we have had out here. Here we switch off the TV walk along the passage and into the bedroom no fuss. But as you say we have close to quarter of an acre so no problems.
    Des.
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

14. Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That same program Des was being shown in the uk in 1990 and we still watch it out here 33 years later , so still watchable as was all those years ago, who cares if have seen it all before . Nearly every program shown out here is yoinks old . The latest thing have watched for the first time was the coronation that was a virgin do for the cameras , if not the individuals. Cheers JS
    R575129

16. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast