Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Maritime Expertise

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Maritime Expertise

It would appear that all the Oscars in the world did not save the guy who fell from the cruise ship this week.
    Latest bit in the news, no one knows how he fell over the side??
    Did he jump, was he pushed or did some one throw hm over, not be the first time.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well three or was it Four long blasts on the steam whistle or siren usd to be the signal when leaving port as a farewell signal John . That would be OOO or OOOO. Shortened of course . Otherwise it would have been the previous 3 or 4 times . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 29th April 2023 at 06:40 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #5 Tell me if I’m wrong Ivan as laws may have changed , but in my time at sea there were 3 forms of distress or could be future distress and they were Mayday, the ultimate put your foot on the accelerator and get here quick, Pan I’m in trouble and things could get worse, and Securitay used mainly for dangers in existence and adverse weather reports . These were all for Channel 16 vhf. And for a manoverboard I would probably have sent out a Pan to attract attention of other shipping and shore station before giving out the message . The Oscar transmitted msg.I would have associated with flags. If they are correct then just shows that I would fit into the updating of Nautical knowledge now required if decided to return to sea at 86 years of age. JS
    From the above I would say you are correct John, Chnl 16 /2182kc had to be kept silent of all transmissions for 3 mins at 15 and 45 minutes past the hour for Pan messages in case they were missed during the usual chatter for pilots , notices to mariners and eta's etc, as well as pools results. The Oscar would by flag only have been necessary if in a convoy/multiple vessel situation or river/estuary situation, but in any event would have been preceeded by three long blasts on the whistle and the flag would have identified which vessel was affected amongst many in the area.

In a later post I think the emergency signal was one long blast followed by five or more short blasts in rapid succession, but as we are the same vintage our memories may have the same lapses

5. Thanks j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ships emergency 7 short blasts followed by one long blast on ships whistle.
    Vic
    R879855

7. Thanks j.sabourn, Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vic every phonetic letter in the international code of signals has a different meaning . Some can be used by sound and some by light ( lamp) e.g by sound or lamp U means you are standing into Danger.K you should stop your vessel instantly. Z on the lamp used to address Shore stations . All will already know E I and by sound , I am altering course to port or starboard and S my engines are going full speed astern. Some are flag signals only . My original general query was O or Oscar on the radio as a distress msg. As have not heard that one before . Everyone seems to accept it as normal so maybe I was asleep when it was made a legal radio signal for someone in
    distress . Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With GMDSS and A.I.S man overboard situation, if seen, is just a matter of pressing buttons. GMDSS sends out the signal and A.I.S pin points the position.
    If the man overboard was not seen then A.I.S and ECDIS can give you the reverse track to follow to the last known or assumed position of the man overboard, even allowing for tides and currents.
    Rgds
    J.A

10. Thanks j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    With GMDSS and A.I.S man overboard situation, if seen, is just a matter of pressing buttons. GMDSS sends out the signal and A.I.S pin points the position.
    If the man overboard was not seen then A.I.S and ECDIS can give you the reverse track to follow to the last known or assumed position of the man overboard, even allowing for tides and currents.
    Rgds
    J.A
    Ah! Jeez ! Guess I'll never get to use that figure of eight manouver, well at least progress has some benefits

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No more make believe Williamson turns Ivan , just need a mobile forefinger the one you used to use for eating Your fish and chips out of the News of the World with. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    No more make believe Williamson turns Ivan ,. JS
    Thank you John, the name had eluded me, but lots of things elude me these days, what with being eluded, excluded and rarely included I'm becoming a 'lude' hite

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never mind Ivan your still alert , I am not accusing you of being a lert as don’t know what a lert is. Myself would call me a Delta which if remember correctly was a flag hoist “ keep clear of me I am manouvering with difficulty “ . I think these sticks given to me on loan for 6 months , Hope they forget about. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 30th April 2023 at 08:51 AM.
    R575129

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast