Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian Nuclear Subs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Australian Nuclear Subs.

It looks as thought the UK will build the Australian Nuclear Subs.
    The subs will be built by BAE Systems at Barrow in Furness.
    Good news for Barrow.
    Vic
    R879855

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Australian Nuclear Subs.

Design work will be carried out here, however build location has yet to be decided as that's still about 15 years away.
    The boats concerned are expected to be a similar design to the RN class which will eventually replace the Astute class, which are of course still being built at the moment.
    In service date for the Australian submarines is therefore expected to be sometime in the 2040s.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim R Christie View Post
    Design work will be carried out here, however build location has yet to be decided as that's still about 15 years away.
    The boats concerned are expected to be a similar design to the RN class which will eventually replace the Astute class, which are of course still being built at the moment.
    In service date for the Australian submarines is therefore expected to be sometime in the 2040s.
    Although i guess its a pretty good thing in the long run, possibly will help some in times of crisis, to have waited this long is rather putting us here way back on the Arms race so to speak! If we are only going to be getting these Subs by 2040, gee by that time the World could well have been at War for years! ??? Oh well lets hope not hey!

Australia has grown in many aspects , but still is a long ways behind the Eight Ball, and really needs to try and get more going at a much faster rate! Not only talking about War and Weapons!

Just take a look at our TRAINS, they are so old and not very reliable anymore, many breakdowns happening, new carriages(and those are not really so good) standing ifle , as they were bought without looking at them properly before, so now cannot fit to run correctly, and cannot get through the Tunnels !

Yes i love Aussie, but its too much of Dont worry mate she,ll be right!

LOL Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Although i guess its a pretty good thing in the long run, possibly will help some in times of crisis, to have waited this long is rather putting us here way back on the Arms race so to speak! If we are only going to be getting these Subs by 2040, gee by that time the World could well have been at War for years! ??? Oh well lets hope not hey!

Australia has grown in many aspects , but still is a long ways behind the Eight Ball, and really needs to try and get more going at a much faster rate! Not only talking about War and Weapons!

Just take a look at our TRAINS, they are so old and not very reliable anymore, many breakdowns happening, new carriages(and those are not really so good) standing ifle , as they were bought without looking at them properly before, so now cannot fit to run correctly, and cannot get through the Tunnels !

Yes i love Aussie, but its too much of Dont worry mate she,ll be right!

LOL Cheers
    Doc,
    From what I've read you'll be buying some US built Virginia class nuclear submarines within the next ten years as a stopgap measure and to effectively train up RAN personnel to operate nuclear boats.
    A secondary side to that is that whilst the new submarines may be British designed, they will have US systems and weapons as per how the RAN has been steadily evolving away from Royal Navy/UK influence with their warships over the past few decades.
    Four years ago I was on holiday in Oz and took the time to go around HMAS Vampire and HMAS Onslow one day in Sydney; considering both vessels were in service relatively recently it's amazing how much the Australian outlook on defence has changed. We won't say to much about the Collins class though, although the documentary about them was pretty good; I think it was made by SBS.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From what I have read there are various scenarios for Australia.
    1)Lease two UK subs, although this is in doubt.
    2) Buy/Lease US. Subs.
    3)Base American sub in Australia.
    What is clear that there is a number of Australian personnel now training in R. N. SUBS.
    Vic
    R879855

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The subs will be built in Adelaide, no PM can say otherwise or he will be in trouble in South Australia come an election, after the cock up with the French subs, no one has said what they will do with what has been built there so far. I doubt anyone on this site will be around when they are launched, and one thing is they are having trouble manning the subs they have now, maybe they can by then; get a Chinese crew.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Something that is not mentioned that cropped up a long time ago is? Both the Uk and USA will be trying to offload their older ones on to us as when they reach there used by date they become a bloody headache on how to dispose of the nuclear crap in them. Personally can not see the use of getting them in the first place. They will not be armed with nuclear weapons but will be targeted the same as if they did. Have always said that Australia's defence is simply the size of us as to bloody big to control and anyway no need to attack as our mob is doing that job real well already. The French ones are powered with non weaponary grade uranium but the others come with the full grade and harder to dispose of. The reason that the French ones where so dear was because initially they where told to take out the reactors and fit diesel into them. Just as an aside if I might be permitted. Can anyone tell me the big difference between Russia attacking the Ukrain and the UK USA and Australia attacking Iraq on a lie and leaving the whole middle east in turmoil up to the present time. If there was ever three war criminals they would be Bush, Blair and Howard for sure. How could you trust nuclear to the likes of them.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Less.
    When they scream war crimes on TV, the first thing that comes into my mind is that little girl in Vietnam running down the road with Napalm all over her, and so many years later the women there are still having babies born 35 years later with similar problems to Thalidomide, after having Agent Orange dumped all over the Country.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are no winners from any war, no one is right, just those left.
    Left to clear up the mess and say we must learn from this, it must never happen again.
    But it does and will continue as long as man walks on this planet.

But nuclear subs without nuclear weapons, one wonders what they will have, machine guns maybe??
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sales increased by 4.4% to £23.3bn. Expanded Return on sales by 20bps, to 10.7%. Underlying earnings per share increased by 9.5% to 55.5p. Free cash flow of £2.0bn exceeded expectations. Increased investment in capital expenditure and R&D. Share repurchases totalling £0.8bn in the year. Dividend increased by 7.6% This is from a link to BAE systems.

The UK was the world's second-biggest arms exporter behind the United States over the past decade, government figures suggest. Orders worth £11 billion were won in 2019, which the government said placed the UK ahead of Russia and France. Not sure about the accuracy of this post.(BBC)

But with money like that to be made there will always be wars, until someday pushes the red button and then we are all glowing in the dark.

I read somewhere that in the event of a all out nuclear war it is likely only two species would survive , a few China men and the Cockroach.

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast