Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Australian Nuclear Subs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Australian Nuclear Subs.

Get a Chinese crew! That's very funny!! Aren't they supposed to be the threat? The Chinese we had on Blue Flue in the late 60's were wonderful: greasers, kitchen staff, laundry. I used to get confused though..... I could never figure out if ChEng was the Chief, or one of the laundry lads!! Great days.

- - - Updated - - -

Right on, about on "the other" war criminals!

- - - Updated - - -

Every American should be made to visit the Agent Orange section of the Vietnam War Museum in Saigon.... oops, sorry, Ho Chi Min city ... another war the West won, eh?

2. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#69 Think I did a short spell with one of the last skippers out of ANL .When home on leave received a phone call from the owners of the STS Leewuin asking if I would spend a day on her for Charity as they had to have 3 watchkeepers on board with radio certificates.I joined her in Fremantle at 0800 hrs the master was an old retired gentleman who immediately said you take her out John under power . I have already described this short sojourn under sail which was very likeable.After clearing the port we stopped put up the sails ,I was on the wheel mostly lecturing to youngsters whose whole demeanour seemed to change at sea.brought her back into port,hrs
    Later . A trip not to be forgotten . She only had or did at the time 3 permanent crew the master the ex ANL skipper, a cook , and a so called chief engineer who ran the small engine on deck . These were the only wage earners ,Plus about 100 youngsters those over 16 to handle the sails .JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st March 2023 at 07:15 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    No I never went on strike, when I sign something, I stick by it.

Your remarks on Unions just goes to show that you do not know how Unions work, Union leaders bring their members out on strike, whether they want to or not, so that they can exercise their power and reap rewards denied their members.
    Oh dear Ivan , really !!! I admit I am that familiar with the trade unions and how they work. But I do know that Unions have to ballot the membership and strike actions can only be called if there is a majority of the membership vote in favour. Oh and that is the law.

https://www.gov.uk/industrial-action...lding-a-ballot

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well my experience of the seamans union is not a happy one ......slater started a breakaway movement in shields in the eagle vaults ......standing on a chair ......I WILL GET 200 POUND A WEEK FOR YOU .......THE SHIP OWNERS CANNOT DO WITHOUT YOU .......2 BOB A WEEEK LADS THATS ALL IT TAKES.......WELL IN THE LATE 50S AND 60S THERE WAS THOUSANDS OF SEAMEN AND THOUSANDS OF SHIPS .......BLOKES WERE PAYING TWO BOB IN THE EAGLE AND JOINING HIS NEW UNION .....WELL I WAS HAPPY WITH MY WAGE MY JOB .....AND THE LIFESTYLE ......SOME 10 YEARS LATER IT WAS GONE THE SHIPS DRIED UP IN SHIELDS POOL AND EVERY WHERE ELSE IT STATED TO SHRINK ......HOW MANY ACTUAL BRITISH CREWS...NOT OFFICERS ARE THERE .....WELL THEY VOTED AND GOT WHAT THEY VOTED FOR .....I DID 8 MONTHS ON A TRAMP OF SOME 42 HANDS THE SECOND COOK GOT BURNT FROM HEAD TO TOE AS SHE TOOK A GREAT ROLL OF THE LIZARD ....HE FELL BACK HIT THE BULKHEAD AND A LARGE PAN OIL BOILING FAT HIT HIM FOM CHIN TO FEET ....HE WAS ROASTED......I A GALLEY BOY AND A GOOD ONE WAS ASKED WILL YOU DO A ASSISTANT COOKS JOB ...THE WAGE INCREASE WAS SOME 15 QUID A MONTH.......A LOT OF MONEY IN 58......NEVER GOT IT IT WAS I AM TOLD SHARED BETWEEN THE COOK AND THE CHIEF STEWARD .....AS SHORT HAND MONEY .......THS CHIEF STEWARD NEVER CAME IN THE GALLEY.....I WAS BAKING BREAD AND ROLLS FOR THE SALOON .......UNIONS IVE **** THEM......MIND CHICKENS COME TO ROOST AS I SKINNED OUT IN OZ AFTER SEEEING NO MONEY FOR THE JOB A BOY RATING AND TWO STEWARDS ALSO JUMPED SERVED THEM RIGHT PLUS ABOT 5 DECK CREW.....WHAT WITH PRESCOT AND SLATER ....YOU DIDNT NEED THE GREEDY SHIPOWNERS .....R683532 CAPPY

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only since Maggie brought in rules in the eighties, prior to that it was a show of hands determined a strike action.
    In many cases the shop steward got his mates to intimidate the crowd before a show of hands was taken.
    Vic
    R879855

7. Thanks Kenneth Kenny thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do not confuse wild cat strikes with union organised strikes. Strikes not only cost companies money, they cost workers money and the Unions.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Do not confuse wild cat strikes with union organised strikes. Strikes not only cost companies money, they cost workers money and the Unions.
    What gives you the right to say someone, or all of us are confused, you were not there, a lot of us were, alas James you are not the oracle though you may look in the mirror and think you are. Are we all to bow to your superior knowledge .

10. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan, Don't talk to me like I have just left school. At 74 years old I think I have seen my fair share of life.
    Why is it you are very quick to take offence were none exists.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The majority of strikes in 60's, 70's and early 80, were wild cat strikes organised by the local shop stewards.
    R879855

13. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been on strike a few times in the past, and I can never remember walking out for the sport of it. I never knew anyone that wanted to strike, unless there was good reason to do so. If I hadn't been willing to strike, I know I would not have been as well off as I was while working, and now in retirement. Yes there were occasions when we'd walk out over some issue or other, even if we were not directly affected, it was in support of others.
    Todays strikes seem to be half hearted, due to being a day here, and a day there. The only real way, is to walk out and stay out until either side gives.
    The unions today are not as tough as they used to be, most of todays older workers have never been on strike, let alone the younger ones. I think the unions have let their members down over the last 30years or so, especially since UNITE was formed.
    People these days never seem to think about "what happens if we don't strike?" because striking is a last resort.

15. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast