Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian Nuclear Subs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Australian Nuclear Subs.

I too think that purchasing these subs is a stupid idea from start to finish. All that is going to happen is we are left with the disposal of the waste from them much to the liking of the yanks and poms for sure. Would the money be better spent on manufacturing and building up our own merchant navy under the Oz flag and crews. Anyone take notice of ex PM Keating the other day that explained the waters around Oz are shallow for these subs and anyway they are so large that they can be detected from outer space. He made a lot of sense as far as I go. Just what could 365 billion along with the other 365 billion in stage three tax cuts for the super wealthy go to fixing the infrastructure of Australia. Going to say it again? Australias biggest defence is just simply the size of us. Fact okay? The first invasion of Australia still has not beaten the people that where here before us and they only had spears and diggeridoos. Anyway no one in their right mind would attempt it because our politicians are doing a far better job of doing it to us already. Just got to wait and we will be ripe for the pickings.

While I am on my soap box I have a question? What is the difference of the ICC making Putin a war criminal and overlooking the fact that Bush, Blair and Howard did similar with Iraq and left that country in a complete mess that is still paying the price of their interference and for what? Putin went in to bolster his ego and extend his borders and the other three went in with a bloody great big LIE and the majority of people knew this yet they still went in against millions that protested around the world not to.
    Last edited by Les Woodard; 20th March 2023 at 02:52 AM.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

2. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its the USA plan to base their nuclear subs
    in Aus.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The USA doesnt subscribe to the ICC, yet Biden praises the decision, The US sanctioned the previous head of the ICC because she was to examine war crimes of US soldiers in Afganistan, banks cancelled her CC and accounts fearing they would be sanctioned for supporting her.

5. Thanks Mike Hutchins thanked for this post
    Terry Sullivan Guest

Every morning the radio announces that a line is closed 'due to faulty equipment' and roads closed due to crashes or broken down trucks.
    Terry Sullivan R340406

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One should look at the TV program "Utopia" about Australian defence. Sums it all up perfectly.

8. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But Des, you miss one vital point, he is a politician and they are a very good example of artificial intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    In my lifetime I have listened to some dumb politicians, but our new Defence Minister Richard Marles takes the cake. His new explanation for buying the nuclear subs is, wait for it, "To keep the seaways open." he means the China Seas. which has never been closed anyway, He doesn't seem to know that about 70 percent of our trade is with China, we get their goods bought down in Chinese ships, they buy our Iron Ore, coal, wheat, cotton you name it, China buys most of it, and the ships that take it are Chinese, we have no ships of our own Politicians got rid of them, that we can say constantly use the China Seas. So by this clowns reckoning he has paid $Four hundred and thirty thousand million dollars to for three nuclear subs to safeguard Chinese shipping. This at a time when China has a 90 year lease on the Port of Darwin; and own half the coal port of Newcastle.
    Des
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Les Woodard;413969] Would the money be better spent building up our own merchant navy under the Oz flag and crews. .[/QUOTE

Alas like the UK that is never going to happen, as the youth of our countries have no desire to be separated from Wi-Fi and also suffer the indignity of being separated from the benefits system, drug suppliers, night clubs etc and being away from mummy and daddy (if known) does not appeal to them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#57 Think the Australian seafarers union destroyed the OZ merchant fleet, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
    Greedy ship owners destroyed ours, the very least we could do is at least man our home/middle trade routes with British flagged and manned ships.
    No doubt Harold Wilson will be blamed for the demise of UK shipping, what was it he signed the Timfeckyou agreement?

Worlds largest shipping companies. Container Ships ?
    A.P. Moller- Maersk 733 ships HQ Copehagen Denmark, 2. Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) - 4,101,961 TEU (615 ships) HQ Geneva Switzerland, 3. CMA CGM - 3,007,131 TEU (542 ships) HQ Marseille France, 4. COSCO - 2,970,150 TEU (489 ships) HQ Shanghai China,
    5 Hapag-Lloyd - 1,780,304 TEU (259 ships) HQ Hamburg Germany

Out of the top 5 only one is not based in Europe. The UK as an Island nation has not got a fecken rowing boat, bloody disgrace.

But never mind I am sure in the event of another major conflict HMG will charter in tonnage, dish out contracts to companies that do not have any ships. Chris Grayling thought it a good idea.

Another thing Grayling signed enabled P&O ferries to sack 800 employees without P&O having to inform the government.

A change in the law signed off by former Conservative minister Chris Grayling cleared the way for P&O Ferries to legally sack 800 staff last week without telling the government, a leading maritime lawyer has told Sky News.

Legislation to protect employees in the UK was amended by Mr Grayling in 2018 so that the secretary of state does not have to be notified of mass redundancies on ships registered overseas. Just another blunder by HMG.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post

(A) Greedy ship owners destroyed ours, the very least we could do is at least man our home/middle trade routes with British flagged and manned ships.

(B) No doubt Harold Wilson will be blamed for the demise of UK shipping, what was it he signed the Timfeckyou agreement?
    (A) Always the greedy shipowner, never the Unions and strikes, if your coastal trade goes on strike for weeks and goods don't move, then alternatives have to be found and freight forwarders (FF) found those alternatives in foreign tonnage which proved reliable which the FF did during and after the strikes. The Unions shot themselves in the foot, as the UK didn't have Cabotage, you can only make a strike effective on a coast if you have cabotage on that coast. I am not an owners man but every coin has two sides, if owners don't make a profit they cannot build new ships, if you don't have ships you don't have employee needs.

(B) you got something right, (it was the Nairobi Agreement) and he certainly put a lot of nails in the coffin and achieved what the Germans couldn't.

14. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never went on strike in my life while at sea, did you or any others on the forum? If so why did you go on strike. The Union must have had a reason to go on strike. Members must have been pushing the union to improve pay and conditions. I was not at sea in 1966 so I will not pretend to know the reasons for strike action.

A friend of mine posted this today on Facebook. It is an advert by Bernard Schultz Isle of Man.

They are looking for most Engineering ranks

GAS ENGINEER REQUIRED QFLEX VESSEL (Motor)
    Immediate Start
    3/4 month tour.
    A minimum of 2 tours on LNG required

Temporary first contract with an option for a permanent contract - including 28 days annual leave, annual performance bonus, priority pass, healthcare inc. family, WIFI onboard.
    They must be taking the piss.
    Some have said young Brits today would not be interested in a Career at sea today, is it any bloody wonder.

I was getting 1 for 1 leave rate over 20 years ago.

LNG.jpg

To apply CV to im-smc-info@bs-shipmanagement.com #gas #engineer #marinevacancies #crewing

16. Likes Jim R Christie liked this post
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast