Default Re: Australian Nuclear Subs.

Probably be obsolete by then.

2. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some eddy expert from the US on telly today was explaining that these subs have a life span of 33 years so what is the betting that we get some with 20+ years on them so that we end up with having to denuke them and that is both the UK and US ones. Hence why it would have been better to just amend the sub deal that we had with France to keep their non weapon grade uranium engines in them instead of refitting them with diesel engines that was the initial contract. That way in the future those subs could have been scrapped later on without the problem that nuclear waste will be with these other ones. Still of the firm view that we do not need the buggers and spend the money on lowering the price of beer for one.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I totally agree, part of the "arrangement" will be the US will obstensibly loan Australia in the interim to train on, hoho, that way the US gets a base in Aus for nuclear sub, however supposed not to be nuclear armed?

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will go to sleep tonight beneath my Chinese sheets, get up in the morning dress in my Chinese clothes, look in my Chinese fridge for breakfast, go shopping in my Chinese car and buy a Chinese take away for dinner, I will be glad when we get those nuclear or are they nuclar subs to keep us safe from the Chinese.
    DEs
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Les, the beer bit is true.

As to the Subs, well without armament they are not much bloody use.
    Tell that to China when it comes knocking on the door to say we want to take you over.
    Sorry Xi we cannot fight you, our subs are unarmed'

AS to countries making arms, yes, USA, UK, France, China and Russia in that order I believe.
    They may be only store for some time or they go 'off', so find a war somewhere and make them go 'off' there.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't want to get involved in Antipodean politics as it is not my place, however as an outsider it would appear that a lot of people are jumping the gun, as the meeting of the three nations is only taking place this week to decide what course to follow and who supplies what to whom and where and when.

As an observer and a simpleton as well as an outsider it would seem prudent for the Antipodes to have a deterrent of some sort, even though it comes with baggage, to at least put encroaching nations on notice that their efforts will not be sacrifice free, although nations such as China and Russia have little regard when it comes to sacrificing their indigenous cannon fodder, but they are nations to which the word 'diplomacy' is only a word in a dictionary and has no place in their expansion plans, as is evidenced by their encroachment in Ukraine and the South China Sea. Alas we do not live in a nuclear free world and at present it is the only known deterrent, and those who think that we can get rid of such deterrents and live in a peaceful world are really living in their own little world, the best we can hope do is try to deter aggressive nations, whether they be super powers or not, is to limit their aggression, it is not the super powers we have to be wary of, but those emerging nations who obtain such weapons and have no hesitation in pressing the button because their god will see them as martyrs and provide them with bountiful produce and 72 virgins each, where they will get such an amount of virgins from has not been disclosed.

The other alternative to the submarine problem in the antipodes is to increase imports of Chinese dictionaries and increasing Chinese written and oral lessons in the education system

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's no problem Ivan, We are getting Virgin Subs, no weapons and no one to man them. If by some miracle we get a Green Govt before that it will be all for nothing anyway.
    Cheers Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like Ivan
    I normally dont get involved in this kind of thing, however besides all the talk etc, from just what i have heard on the TV here is that these Subs are at this point more for Non Detection Purposes than anything else! Apparently the older Type Subs are much more detectable these days , especially with all the Modern Technology! The Diesel Type would be easily detected nowdays, whereas the Nuclear ones as i hear it, are more of a Problem to detect ??
    Just my input!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

14. Thanks j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#18 Vernon I too keep quite Also when people talk about weapons of so called mass destruction just to keep the peace that they have to have. All the advantages and disadvantages of holding such in ones Arsenal I leave hopefully up to those who are given the job of protecting their homelands.All I see at the moment is cavorting politicians making the most of their hopes for popularity they are not the protectors of the homelands they are there to go on the advice of those employed to do so. Politicians of every calibre will be the first into the hoped for bomb proof shelters in any ensuing Big Bang. The small amount of underwater warfare I had between 1978 and 1982 over 40 years ago , the Russians and maybe other countries had listening devises on the bottom on the approaches to the Clyde and the British and American submarine bases at Holyloche and Faslane and wouldn’t mind betting that every submarine coming out or going in its propellor noise to which every ship or sub is different was recorded . I know because that which were found by the minehunters we had to recover. And am sure they must have missed plenty.That was 40+ years ago ,and today who knows what changes have been made ? Submarines today may have an advantage on their positions being hard to find but I tend to believe that it is not as good as all seem to think today. The general public which we all are have to believe in those who are more up in the knowledge of warfare in general , these people are not politicians , they just make vulgar noises . Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th March 2023 at 04:23 AM.
    R575129

16. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The deal has been signed, we get three second hand ones from USA to tide u sover.
    Then we get to make some here, 20,000 jobs the PM declares, but what he fails to say is that many will be with persons from UK or USA with sub building experience.

But what the heck, only cost about $365 billion over 30 years, just petty cash to some.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

18. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast