Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkish earth quake

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Turkish earth quake

Terrible loss of life in Turkey & Syria today due to massive earth quake. Reports saying so far over 3500 people dead and thousands more injured. So sad when things like this happen.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Turkish earth quake

Absolutely devastating! It is as said so sad to hear and see such tragedies , we can only send out our Wishes and Condolences to all the poor People of those Countries.
    One cannot imagine how they cope, it must be so very very difficult!

My Heart goes out to each and everyone involved

Turkey earthquake: Death toll could increase eight-fold, WHO says - BBC News
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Latest is some 4500 dead,
    but two earthquakes following each other is not common.
    Normal situation is a number of after shocks, this is something far worse.
    But having been in the middle of one, tough no where as bad as this I can understand how devastating it must have been for all concerned.

According to the news a new born baby was pulled free but the mother never made it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes James Curry, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My late wife and I spent two months trekking*around Turkey by public bus and stayed in their equivalent of local B and Bs. for accommodations.* We traveled to within a hundred miles of that place on*the*borders of Turkey and Syria.* The population down there are half Turk and half Kurdish and loath each other.*

The taxi driver*of a cab we took from the bus station to a small hotel, for some reason waved a gun in the car heading from the bus station and told us it was in case the Kurds caused*trouble.* We were not happy campers and grabbed a bus back up to central Turkey. Plus, the English language*newspaper, we bought had the headline*story that a German backpacker had just been murdered by Kurds. Out of there!

The reason so many people die in earthquakes in Turkey is the poor construction*of buildings and the majority live in 6 to 8 floor apartment buildings. They build a frame of girders, say six floors, the ground floor is a cement slab, next they lay out frames say four ft. by eight ft and about 6 inches thick Next lay in a half a dozen iron rebars, then fill the frame with cement.* When set they lift them on wooden T support and connect cement to dry and fill-in the ceiling*and walls, which becomes the floor of the second story floor, and so on for six to eight stories, (leaving spaces for doors, windows and hallways etc.).*

Now when an earthquake hits the shake knocks the floor/ceiling*out of the frame and five floors pancake down.* A similar*effect happened when those planes were flown into the buildings in New York.

Most of the people in California, another earthquake prone*area, live in single family dwellings and smaller apartment dwellings (2-3 floors), plus superior earthquake*protection*methods of construction are strictly enforced by mandatory*building codes. With heavy criminal penalties for shortcut avoidance*of rules and regulation.

I lived in El Segundo, California when a 6-7 magnitude earthquake hit Northridge, Calif.. True it's less than this Turkey one at 7.8, however, though 31 miles away (the other side of L.A.) it was strong enough to roll me out of bed. In the whole of the L.A. area. there were 56 deaths, compared to an estimated 20,000. We complain about government intervention and rule and regulations, but something like this brings home what superior government and it's rules and regulation do for us.

Rodney**
    Rodney David Richard Mills
    R602188 Gravesend

8. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The reason so many people die in earthquakes in Turkey

And another reason Rodney is the size of the Population there!
    Cheers

I hear that there has been yet another Quake there with the possibility of mass loss of lives!
    The poor People !
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 8th February 2023 at 01:56 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Latest estimate is about 20,000 dead and 2000 building destroyed.
    But sadly some bodies will never be found and the exact number of dead will always be open to interpretation.
    It was noted that Russia has sent some troops in there to assist.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Russian troops don't have far to travel they are already in Syria. A bit rich really the Putin regime supplies miltary support & Weapons so President Assad can commit Genoside on his own people.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After an earthquake, there are aftershocks that can continue months after the initial earthquake and can even be stronger than the earthquake.

Three or four days after the one I was in where I was knocked out of bed, my Canadian cousins were getting married in Los Angeles, as my first cousins' parents, my aunt and uncle, lived in L.A. too.

Now I am not religious, and it was a church wedding. I and my first wife and our three sons were in the church and as the wedding ceremony was underway, there was a sever aftershock, and everyone no pun intended was all shook up. After things settled down and the service continued, my ex. who was religious, whispered in my ear, "I think the Lord is trying to tell you something."

I must admit, that was rather Whitty of her, but not enough for me to want to keep her.

Cheers, Rodney
    Last edited by Rodney Mills; 8th February 2023 at 04:28 PM.
    Rodney David Richard Mills
    R602188 Gravesend

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just watching the news about the terrible earthquake disaster in Turkey and Syria. They showed the conditions those rescued are living in, tents pitched on frozen ground with just thin blankets acting like mat to keep the cold out. Then it showed you a make shift morgue inside a what looked to be undamaged sports hall. Just a thought would it not make more sense to bring survivors in from the cold and put the dead in the tents? Perhaps the survivors would be frightened to go into a building again?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rod .
    After working in heavy and light construction for forty years I agree with you, those middle Eastern countries don't build their high rise with enough reinforcing steel, and probably use more sand than cement, it happens in most of those countries, and the people who suffer are the ordinary citizens.
    My heart goes out to them as the freezing weather will only make things worse for the survivors. I hope there are no more shocks for those poor people.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast