Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Another liner in trouble

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Another liner in trouble

Milford sound is very popular as a tourist spot, they stay at the hotel there for a few nights and there are guides to show you around if you wish.
    It has to be one of the most peaceful spots, if not the most, in the world.
    Whilst it looks good with fine weather, see it when the wet mist is around, looks so spiritual then and alluring.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wifes rellies used to run the scows from Wellington to Blenheim. Many years ago. I worked with a guy who sailed on the Pamir, NZ to Canada as I recall. Anyway, I recall that I was sailing down the Portuguese coast on "Corinthian" when word came through that Pamir had sunk. Huge tragedy and loss of young seamen.

4. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Allen.
    How's this for coincidences, my brother went to the Vindicatrix during the war, I went in 49, I found out that we both went between April to June but different years. On my first trip I went to Galveston, crossing the South Atlantic the Pamir with my brother aboard was becalmed in the Doldrums, we must have passed a few hundred miles away. That was in 1949. I missed him again when we were due in Auckland around 54 he had taken leave from Cuvier lighthouse, but we had broken down in the Tasman. I didn't get to see him untill 72 in Auckland.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI des. Thanks for the comment. One thing I meant to mention was that The old Wellington harbourmaster(Galloway, I think his name was) also served on Pamir. Not sure if he was skipper. Anyway, one of the cross Cook Strait scows sat on the hard at Picton for many years. Had been acquired as the local yacht club. Not sure if it is still there. Another old scow is still sailing(motoring) as part of the Auckland Maritime Museum. So you were around when I was working in Auckland. Dread to say this but I was with the Auckland Customs service. Please don't hold that against me. Served for 35 years mostly at Wellington then later at Opua servicing yachts and cruise ships. Retired in 2005.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Allen.
    I can not remember any Customs officers ever searching any Union ship I was on, One trip was on the Kawerau in 62, we had been to Melbourne then up to Fiji and back to Auckland, expected a rummage as the stern was festooned with bananas, but nothing. What could one bring back from Aus other than a ringbolt Lol.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

8. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In my practical experience and that is being searched by customs , it was the master that was blacklisted as happened to me due to undeclared items on the manifest. Lasted about 12 months searchers appeared on every vessel I was on. Seen the same happen to others . JS.
    R575129

10. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2